Kenilworth railway station
The remains of Kenilworth station in 1977, twelve years after closure. One platform has been removed and the line singled.
|Number of platforms||2|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections
from National Rail Enquiries
|Key dates||Opened 9 December 1844|
|Original company||London and Birmingham Railway|
|Pre-grouping||London and North Western Railway|
|Post-grouping||London Midland and Scottish Railway|
|18 January 1965||Closed|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|UK Railways portal|
Kenilworth railway station was a railway station in Kenilworth, Warwickshire, England on the Coventry to Leamington Line. In 2013 it was announced that the station would reopen in 2016, but this was later revised to August 2017 and then December 2017.
It first opened in 1844, with both the line and the station then being closed to passengers in 1965 as a result of the Reshaping of British Railways report. Passenger services over the line were restarted in the 1980s but the station was not reopened. What remains of the double track includes a passing loop, and the approaches to Coventry and Leamington Spa stations.
Proposals for reopening
Proposals for reopening the station have existed for many years. In 2008, CrossCountry and Warwickshire County Council supported the reopening and started to prepare a business case. It was included in 2008–09 Warwickshire Local Transport Plan.[vague]
In July 2009 it was announced that John Laing plc had been awarded a 20-year contract to design, build, and operate the new station, due to open in 2013. Planning permission was granted in April 2011 but funding was refused. In late 2011, John Laing successfully asked to withdraw from the contract as there was no funding available for the station construction to go ahead in the immediate future.
In November 2011 the upgrading of the Coventry to Nuneaton route was approved, renewing new hope for regeneration of the line through Kenilworth. In February 2013, Warwickshire County Council made a £5 million funding bid to the new fund the government had created to construct or renovate stations.
In June 2013 the Department for Transport approved funding for the new station. Secretary of State for Transport Patrick McLoughlin identified a potential opening date of 2016. In December 2013 the DfT reannounced its grant of £5 million toward the station's £11.3 million total cost, and gave the opening date as December 2016. On 4 October 2014 test runs were made between Leamington and Coventry to check timings along the route.
In early summer 2016 Graham Construction Ltd was awarded the contract to build the station. The official start of work on site took place on 29 July 2016 when Jeremy Wright ceremonially broke ground.
Opening of new station
Although the initial completion date was August 2017, which will still be delivered on time by the County Council, the actual service date is now 10 December 2017 owing to a delay in track and signaling work by Network Rail. The heritage style station building will incorporate a booking hall and cafe with a decent carpark. Also some artefacts from the old station, including a stained glass window.
|Coventry to Leamington Line|
- "The Railways of Warwickshire". Retrieved 14 September 2008.
- "Kenilworth railway station plan receives £5m backing". BBC News Coventry & Warwickshire. Rail Media. 3 June 2013. Retrieved 8 September 2014.
- "Kenilworth Station plans dealt a blow". Kenilworth Weekly News. 7 July 2016. Retrieved 11 December 2016.
- "Kenilworth Station opening delayed until December 2017". Kenilworth Weekly News. 5 January 2017. Retrieved 5 January 2017.
- "Rail firm backs new town station". BBC News. BBC. 4 April 2008. Retrieved 12 June 2008.
- "2006–2011 Main LTP – Warwick, Leamington Spa, Kenilworth and Whitnash Urban Area". Warwickshire County Council. 2006. Retrieved 12 June 2008.
- "John Laing picks up NUCKLE station build contract". Transport Briefing. Acumen Intelligence Ltd. Retrieved 14 September 2011.
- "Contracts signed to build new Kenilworth rail station". Coventry Telegraph. Trinity Mirror. 24 July 2009. Retrieved 14 September 2011.
- "Planning Application WDC/10CC067". Warwickshire County Council. Retrieved 14 September 2011.
- "Kenilworth railway station funding refused". BBC News. BBC. 26 April 2011. Retrieved 24 October 2012.
- "£5m bid for new Kenilworth railway station". BBC News. BBC. 26 February 2013. Retrieved 26 February 2013.
- "Funding pledge for Kenilworth railway station". Global Rail News. Rail Media. 3 June 2013. Retrieved 3 June 2013.
- Reid, Les (4 June 2013). "New Kenilworth train station to be open by 2016, says Minister". Coventry Telegraph. Trinity Mirror. Retrieved 13 December 2013.
- "Green light for Kenilworth Station". Press release. Department for Transport. 12 December 2013. Retrieved 13 December 2013.
- "Test train checks timings are on track for Kenilworth Rail Station". Warwickshire County Council. 8 October 2014.
- "Work on Kenilworth Station officially begun". Kenilworth Weekly News. 29 July 2016. Retrieved 30 July 2016.
|Preceding station||Historical railways||Following station|
Line and station open
|London and North Western Railway
Coventry to Leamington Line
Line open, station closed
Line closed, station open
|London and North Western Railway
|This article about a Warwickshire building or structure is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article on a railway station in the West Midlands region is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|