John D. Kennedy Elementary School
Portland Historic Landmark
The main entry of Kennedy School in 2008.
Location in Portland.
|Location||5736 NE 33rd Avenue
|Area||4.22 acres (1.71 ha)|
|Architectural style||Renaissance Revival|
|NRHP Reference #||88003472|
|Added to NRHP||November 22, 1995|
The Kennedy School, originally the John D. Kennedy Elementary School, is a former elementary school that has been converted to a hotel, movie theater and dining establishment in northeast Portland, Oregon. The facility is operated by the McMenamins chain. The hotel has 35 guestrooms, a brewery, four bars, and a restaurant.
The school was built in 1915. The land for the school was sold by John Daniel Kennedy to the Portland School District in 1913. Ladies Home Journal praised the innovative, single-story architecture of the school.
By the 1990s, the school had been abandoned. McMenamins, the Portland-based hotel and pub group, bought the old building and funded a full renovation. Today, the Kennedy School functions as an event space with 57 classroom-turned-guestrooms with original chalkboards included. The old cafeteria has been converted into a courtyard restaurant, and the common areas now include a bar, gift shop, movie theater, brewery, and soaking tub. 
- List of restaurants in Portland, Oregon
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Northeast Portland, Oregon
- Portland Historic Landmarks Commission (July 2010), Historic Landmarks -- Portland, Oregon (XLS), retrieved October 3, 2013.
- Ritz, Richard Ellison (2002). "Naramore, Floyd". Architects of Oregon: A Biographical Dictionary of Architects Deceased – 19th and 20th Centuries. Portland, Oregon: Lair Hill Publishing. pp. 293–294. ISBN 0-9726200-2-8.
- Reeves, Hope (July 20, 2003). "Frugal Traveler; Portland With Umbrella Unopened". The New York Times. The New York Times Company. p. 2. Retrieved April 10, 2011.
- Laskin, David (April 15, 2007). "36 Hours in Portland, Ore.". The New York Times. The New York Times Company. Retrieved April 10, 2011.
- Darby, Melissa Cole (December 15, 1987), National Register of Historic Places Registration Form: Kennedy, John D., Elementary School (PDF), retrieved October 8, 2013.
-  "Kennedy School Timeline"
-  "Kennedy School"