Kennesaw Mountain High School
|Kennesaw Mountain High School|
|1898 Kennesaw Due West Road NW
Kennesaw, Georgia 30152
|School district||Cobb County School District|
|Teaching staff||111.70 (FTE)|
|Student to teacher ratio||19.24|
|Color(s)||Dark Green, Silver, and Black|
|Rival||Harrison High School|
|Average SAT scores (2008)||1536|
Kennesaw Mountain High School (KMHS) is a public high school located in Kennesaw, Cobb County, Georgia. It was founded in 2000 as a magnet school specializing in science and mathematics and is one of sixteen high schools in the Cobb County School District.
Kennesaw Mountain High School, named after Kennesaw Mountain, was founded in 2000. The 323,727-square-foot (30,075.2 m2) high school, built on a 75-acre (300,000 m2) site, was intended to have a capacity of 2,000 students, but due to the rapid population growth in Cobb County, the school quickly became overcrowded. Before the school was built, juniors, as opposed to freshman and sophomores, from Harrison High School (the main output) were given the choice whether to stay at their current school or change to Kennesaw Mountain. Approximately 240 juniors decided to change—much more than expected.
Construction of the five buildings at the campus began in August 1999 and was completed in 14 months. The design, by Passantino & Bavier, Inc., used steel bowstring joists to allow for an arched roofline and the 140-foot (43 m) clear span required for the gymnasium. Design and construction of the campus is the only Georgia project featured by the Steel Joist Institute.
The Academy of Mathematics, Science, & Technology at Kennesaw Mountain is one of six magnet schools at the high school level in the Cobb County School District. The Magnet Program at Kennesaw Mountain currently provides the following classes:
- Math: Accelerated CCGPS Coordinate Algebra/Analytic Geometry A, Accelerated CCGPS Analytic Geometry B/Advanced Algebra, Honors Algebra 2, Honors Analytic Geometry,Accelerated CCGPS Pre-Calculus, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, Multivariable Calculus, Advanced Mathematical Topics (GET TOPICAL)
- Science: Magnet Biology, Magnet Chemistry, Magnet AP Physics 1, Magnet AP Environmental Science, AP Chemistry, Honors Biochemistry, AP Biology, Honors Anatomy, AP Physics C Mechanics, AP Physics C Electricity and Magnetism, Advanced DNA and Genetics Research, Magnet Research and Internship
- Technology: Introduction to Digital Technology, Introduction to Computer Principles, AP Computer Principles
For most magnet courses, students are given an extra 0.5 on their GPA. This half point is honored on report cards and county rankings; however, this is not taken into account upon the calculation of GPA for HOPE or college applications.
The Kennesaw Mountain High School Marching Band marched in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in 2005. It captured the Class AAA National Title in 2004, 2012, and 2014. Its achievements were recognized by the 2005-2006 Georgia State legislative session.
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Kennesaw Mountain High School". ed.gov. Retrieved 1 April 2015.
- "NewsBank for AJC - www.ajc.com". newsbank.com. Retrieved 1 April 2015.
- "Steel Joist Institute, Featured Projects". Retrieved 2007-01-12.
- "Georgia General Assembly House Resolution 310, adopted 2/22/05". Retrieved 2007-01-12.