Kennesaw Mountain High School
|Kennesaw Mountain High School|
1898 Kennesaw Due West Road NW
|School district||Cobb County School District|
|Teaching staff||121.90 (FTE)|
|Student to teacher ratio||15.58|
|Color(s)||Green, Silver, and Black|
Kennesaw Mountain High School (KMHS) is a public high school located in Kennesaw, Cobb County, Georgia, United States. It was founded in 2000 as a magnet school specializing in science and mathematics, and is one of sixteen high schools in the Cobb County School District.
Kennesaw Mountain High School was founded in 2000. The 323,727-square-foot (30,075.2 m2) high school, built on a 75-acre (300,000 m2) site, was intended to have a capacity of 2,000 students, but due to the rapid population growth in Cobb County, the school quickly became overcrowded. Before the school was built, juniors, as opposed to freshman and sophomores, from Harrison High School (the main output) were given the choice whether to stay at their current school or change to Kennesaw Mountain. Approximately 240 juniors decided to change, which was much more than expected.
Construction of the five buildings at the campus began in August 1999 and was completed in 14 months. The design, by Passantino & Bavier, Inc., used steel bowstring joists to allow for an arched roofline and the 140-foot (43 m) clear span required for the gymnasium. Design and construction of the campus is the only Georgia project featured by the Steel Joist Institute.
The Academy of Mathematics, Science, & Technology at Kennesaw Mountain is one of six magnet schools at the high school level in the Cobb County School District. For the class of 2023, the Academy of Mathematics, Science, & Technology at Kennesaw Mountain had an acceptance rate of 44%, and the class of 2023 that got accepted into the Academy of Mathematics, Science, & Technology at Kennesaw Mountain had an average 8th grade PSAT 8/9 NPR of 93% for Math (520), and 92% for Evidence-Based Reading and Writing (540).
The Mustangs are a member of GHSA and participate in Region 3-AAAAAAA. KMHS offers football, softball, cross country, volleyball, basketball, wrestling, swimming and diving, baseball, golf, marching band, lacrosse, soccer, tennis, and track and field.
- "Kennesaw Mountain High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved May 7, 2020.
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Kennesaw Mountain High School". ed.gov. Retrieved 8 December 2019.
- "NewsBank for AJC - www.ajc.com". newsbank.com. Retrieved 1 April 2015.
- "Steel Joist Institute, Featured Projects". Archived from the original on 2006-09-23. Retrieved 2007-01-12.
- "The Academy of Mathematics, Science, & Technology at Kennesaw Mountain High School 2023 Magnet Freshman Profile" (PDF). kmhsmagnet.com. Retrieved January 20, 2020.
- Allen, Richard (May 30, 2019). "Corey Heim ready for Short Track Nationals at Bristol". Inside Circle Track. Retrieved January 28, 2020.