Kenneth E. Melson
|Kenneth E. Melson|
|Acting Director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives|
April 8, 2009 – August 30, 2011
|Appointed by||Eric Holder|
|Preceded by||Michael J. Sullivan (acting)
Ronald "Ronnie" A. Carter (acting)
|Succeeded by||B. Todd Jones|
|Alma mater||Denison University, George Washington University|
Kenneth E. Melson is the former acting director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) in the United States. He was appointed to this post by Attorney General Eric Holder in 2009. He resigned as head of the ATF in the aftermath of the ATF gunwalking scandal and was replaced by B. Todd Jones, a former Marine who has twice served as the U.S. attorney in Minnesota.
Previously, Melson was appointed by Attorney General Alberto Gonzales as Director of the Executive Office for United States Attorneys (EOUSA) at the Department of Justice effective on May 14, 2007.
After Melson resigned as head of the ATF on August 30, 2011, he continued being employed by the US Department of Justice, re-assigned to the Office of Legal Policy as their Senior Adviser on Forensic Science. He currently serves on the Ethics Committee for the American Academy of Forensic Science and sits on the editorial board of the Journal of Forensic Sciences. Melson has been teaching at George Washington University for 35 years, first as an Adjunct Professor teaching forensic science and law courses, and currently as Professional Lecturer at Law.
- "Attorney General Eric Holder Names New Leadership for ATF, Executive Office for U.S. Attorneys, and Office of Professional Responsibility". United States Department of Justice Office of Public Affairs. Retrieved 19 July 2012.
- "ATF Chief Who Oversaw Botched Gun Plan Resigns". Newser, LLC. Retrieved 17 November 2011.
- "Faculty Directory". The George Washington University. Retrieved 17 November 2011.
- Belenky, Alexander (30 August 2011). "Kenneth Melson Resigns As ATF Chief Over 'Fast And Furious' Gun Trafficking Operation". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 17 November 2011.
- "Attorney General Alberto R. Gonzales to Appoint Kenneth E. Melson". Department of Justice. Retrieved 17 November 2011.
- "Attorney General Alberto R. Gonzales to Appoint Kenneth E. Melson as Director of the Executive Office for U.S. Attorneys". U.S. Department of Justice. Retrieved 17 November 2011.
- "Kenneth E. Melson Biographical Sketch at George Washington University School of Law". George Washington University. Retrieved 22 April 2015.