This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (September 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Contributions||Fama–French three-factor model|
|Information at IDEAS / RePEc|
Kenneth Ronald "Ken" French (born March 10, 1954) is the Roth Family Distinguished Professor of Finance at the Tuck School of Business, Dartmouth College. He has previously been a faculty member at MIT, the Yale School of Management, and the University of Chicago Booth School of Business. He is most famous for his work on asset pricing with Eugene Fama. They wrote a series of papers, that cast doubt on the validity of the Capital Asset Pricing Model (CAPM), which posits that a stock's beta alone should explain its average return. These papers describe two factors above and beyond a stock's market beta which can explain differences in stock returns: market capitalization and "value". They also offer evidence that a variety of patterns in average returns, often labeled as "anomalies" in past work, can be explained with their Fama–French three-factor model.
Along with contributing articles to major journals such as the Journal of Finance, the Journal of Financial Economics, the Review of Financial Studies, the American Economic Review, the Journal of Political Economy, and the Journal of Business, French is also a research associate at the National Bureau of Economic Research, an advisory editor at the Journal of Financial Economics, and a former associate editor of the Journal of Finance and the Review of Financial Studies.
Professor French was the vice president of the American Finance Association in 2005 and was the organization's president in 2007. Also in 2007, Professor French was elected to the American Academy of Arts and Sciences (AAAS).
He obtained a B.S. in 1975, from Lehigh University in mechanical engineering. He then earned an M.B.A. in 1978, an M.S. in 1981, and a Ph.D. in finance in 1983, all from the University of Rochester. In 2005, French became a Rochester Distinguished Scholar.
- Taha, Ahmed (June 23, 2010). "Luck Is The Key To Success For Most Top Mutual Funds". Forbes. Archived from the original on September 21, 2011.
- "Kenneth R. French - Curriculum Vitae". mba.tuck.dartmouth.edu. Retrieved 2017-07-30.
- Fama, Eugene F.; French, Kenneth R. (1992). "The Cross-Section of Expected Stock Returns". Journal of Finance. 47 (2): 427–465. CiteSeerX 10.1.1.556.954. doi:10.2307/2329112. JSTOR 2329112.
- Fama, Eugene F.; French, Kenneth R. (1993). "Common Risk Factors in the Returns on Stocks and Bonds". Journal of Financial Economics. 33 (1): 3–56. CiteSeerX 10.1.1.139.5892. doi:10.1016/0304-405X(93)90023-5.
- "Kenneth French listing at Dimensional Fund Advisors". Dimensional Fund Advisors. Retrieved February 5, 2015.