Kenneth M. Karas
|Kenneth M. Karas|
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York|
June 13, 2004
|Appointed by||George W. Bush|
|Preceded by||Deborah Batts|
|Born||1964 (age 51–52)
Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
|Alma mater||Georgetown University
Columbia University School of Law
Kenneth Michael Karas (born 1964) is a United States federal judge.
Karas was a law clerk for the Hon. Reena Raggi, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York in 1992. He was an Assistant United States Attorney of the Southern District of New York from 1992 to 2004.
On September 18, 2003, Karas was nominated by President George W. Bush to a seat on the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York vacated by Allen G. Schwartz. Karas was confirmed by the United States Senate on June 3, 2004, and received commission on June 13, 2004.
On January 11, 2008 Karas sentenced Olympic gold medalist Marion Jones to six months in prison for making false statements after it was discovered that she had lied to federal investigators on two separate occasions: when she and Montgomery were being investigated over the BALCO scandal and about her knowledge of fellow Olympian Tim Montgomery's involvement in fraud. On May 16 that year he sentenced Montgomery, who was also Jones' ex-boyfriend, to 46 months in prison for his part in a multimillion-dollar fake-check scheme.
In February and March 2015 Karas presided over Malcolm Smith and Dan Halloran's trials for corruption. Smith was convicted for bribery and extortion charges while Halloran was found guilty of various corruption charges, including taking bribes to aid Smith's 2013 campaign for Mayor of New York City. He turned down the defence's appeal for leniency and sentenced Halloran to ten years in prison. The high-profile trials of Smith and Halloran were part of string of cases brought forward by federal investigators in an effort to curb political corruption within the New York state government.
- "WEDDINGS; Frances Bivens, Kenneth Karas". The New York Times. September 3, 1995.
- "Senate Hearing 108-135: PRESENTATION OF KENNETH M. KARAS, NOMINEE TO BE DISTRICT JUDGE FOR THE SOUTHERN DISTRICT OF NEW YORK, BY HON. CHARLES E. SCHUMER, A U.S. SENATOR FROM THE STATE OF NEW YORK". Government Printing Office. November 19, 2003.
- "History of the Federal Judiciary", Federal Judicial Center Retrieved 6 January 2016
- Congressional Record, V. 150, Pt. 9, June 2, 2004 to June 16 2004. Government Printing Office. pp. 11488–9.
- "FORMER OLYMPIC CHAMPION MARION JONES-THOMPSON SENTENCED TO 6 MONTHS IN PRISON FOR MAKING FALSE STATEMENTS IN TWO FEDERAL CRIMINAL INVESTIGATIONS" (PDF). United States Attorney's Office — Southern District of New York. January 11, 2008.
- "Halloran, Ex-Queens Councilman, Is Sentenced to 10 Years". The New York Times. March 4, 2015.
- "Former State Senate Leader Malcolm Smith and Queens GOP Leader Vincent Tabone Found Guilty in White Plains Federal Court of Bribery and Fraud Charges Connected to 2013 NYC Mayor's Race". FBI – New York Field Office. February 5, 2015.
- Profile – Southern District of New York
Allen G. Schwartz
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York