Kenneth Miller Adams
|Adams, Kenneth Miller|
August 6, 1897|
|Died||June 28, 1966
|Alma mater||Art Institute of Chicago; Art Student's League|
|Known for||Lithography, painting|
|Movement||Taos Society of Artists|
|Elected||Academician, National Academy of Design|
Kenneth Miller Adams (1897 Topeka, Kansas – 1966) was an American artist.
He studied at the Art Institute of Chicago and the Art Students League. He served in the U.S. Army in World War I. In 1924, he moved to Taos, New Mexico. He was a member of the Taos Society of Artists. In 1933, he worked for the Treasury Relief Art Project and the Public Works of Art Project, federal arts programs of the United States Department of the Treasury. In 1937 he was commissioned by the Section of Painting and Sculpture to create murals for the U.S. post offices in Goodland, Kansas, and Deming, New Mexico.
In 1938, he moved to Albuquerque when he was awarded a Carnegie Corporation grant as the first artist-in-residence at the University of New Mexico. He later taught at the University of New Mexico until he retired in 1963. In 1961, he was elected to the National Academy of Design.
His work is in the Smithsonian American Art Museum, New Mexico Museum of Art, Colorado Springs Fine Art Center, Anschutz collection, the Fred Jones Museum of Art, University of Oklahoma. His papers are held at the Archives of American Art.
- Archives of American Art. "Oral history interview with Kenneth M. Adams, 1964 Apr. 23 – Oral Histories | Archives of American Art, Smithsonian Institution". Aaa.si.edu. Retrieved 2012-08-24.
- "Post Office Mural – Goodland KS". Living New Deal. Retrieved 2016-03-22.
- "Post Office Mural – Deming NM". Living New Deal. Retrieved 2016-03-22.
- Harmsen, Dorothy (1971). Harmsen's Western Americana. Flagstaff, AZ: Northland Press. p. 12. ISBN 0873580613.
- "Kenneth Miller Adams". IFPDA. Retrieved 2012-08-24.
- Joan Carpenter Troccoli, Marlene Chambers, eds. (2000). Painters and the American West: the Anschutz collection. Yale University Press. ISBN 978-0-300-08722-2.
- "Kenneth Miller Adams – Fred Jones Jr. Museum of Art – The University of Oklahoma". Ou.edu. October 6, 2011. Archived from the original on August 5, 2012. Retrieved 2012-08-24.
- Archives of American Art. "Summary of the Kenneth Miller Adams papers, 1933–1938 | Archives of American Art, Smithsonian Institution". Aaa.si.edu. Retrieved 2012-08-24.
- William H. Gerdts, Art across America: two centuries of regional painting, 1710–1920, Volume 3, Abbeville Press, 1991, ISBN 978-1-55859-033-5
- Mary Carroll Nelson, The legendary artists of Taos, Watson-Guptill Publications, 1980, ISBN 978-0-8230-2745-3