|The Right Reverend
|Bishop of Lincoln|
|Church||Church of England|
|Diocese||Diocese of Lincoln|
|In office||1957 to 1974|
|Other posts||Bishop of Dorchester (1952–1957)
Principal of Cuddesdon College (1945–1952)
|Born||20 September 1908|
|Died||15 May 1999(aged 90)|
|Education||Colchester Royal Grammar School|
|Alma mater||Corpus Christi College, Cambridge
Kenneth Riches (20 September 1908 – 15 May 1999) was an Anglican Bishop during the second half of the 20th century. He served as the Bishop of Dorchester from 1952 to 1957, and as the Bishop of Lincoln from 1957 to 1974. He was also the Principal of Cuddesdon College, an Anglo-Catholic theological college, between 1945 and 1952.
Early life and education
Riches was born on 20 September 1908. He was educated at Colchester Royal Grammar School, a state grammar school in Colchester, Essex. He studied theology at Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, graduating with a first class Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree in 1931. As per tradition, his BA was promoted to a Master of Arts (MA Cantab) in 1935. He then trained for Holy Orders at Cuddesdon College, an Anglo-Catholic theological college near Oxford.
Riches was ordained in the Church of England as a deacon in 1932 and as a priest in 1933. From 1932-1935, he served his curacy at St Mary's Church, Portsea. From 1935 to 1936, he was an assistant curate at St John the Evangelist, East Dulwich in the Diocese of Southwark. Then, from 1936 to 1942, he served as chaplain and librarian of Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge. On 2 September 1939, he was commissioned into the Royal Army Chaplains' Department as a Chaplain to the Forces 4th Class (equivalent in rank to captain). From 1942 to 1945, he was Rector of Bredfield with Boulge in the Diocese of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich and the Director of Service Ordination Candidates.
- "RICHES, Rt Rev. Kenneth". Who Was Who. Oxford University Press. April 2014. Retrieved 12 April 2017.
- “Who was Who” 1897-2007. London: A & C Black. 2007. ISBN 978-0-19-954087-7.
- "Kenneth Riches". Crockford's Clerical Directory (online ed.). Church House Publishing. Retrieved 12 April 2017. (subscription required)
- Webster, Alan (18 May 1999). "Obituary: The Right Rev Kenneth Riches". The Independent. Retrieved 12 April 2017.
- Crockford's Clerical Directory 1975-76. London: Oxford University Press. 1976. ISBN 0-19-200008-X.
- "University News New Chaplain for Sidney Sussex". The Times (47437). 27 July 1936. p. 14, col D.
- "No. 34695". The London Gazette (Supplement). 26 September 1939. p. 6565.
- Laurence, Christopher (27 May 1999). "Kenneth Riches". The Guardian. Retrieved 12 April 2017.
- "Two Bishops Appointed- Dorchester and Egypt". The Times (52348). 26 June 1952. p. 8, col E.
- "Bishop Of Lincoln Right Rev. K. Riches Nominated (Official Appointments and Notices)". The Times (53604). 8 August 1956. p. 8 col D.
|Church of England titles|
|Bishop of Dorchester
|Bishop of Lincoln
1957 – 1974