This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (March 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
March 30, 1942 |
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Kenneth Welsh, CM (born March 30, 1942) is a Canadian film and television actor (sometimes credited as Ken Welsh). He is known as the multi-faceted villain, Windom Earle, in Twin Peaks and played the father of Katharine Hepburn as portrayed by Cate Blanchett in Martin Scorsese's The Aviator. He lives outside of Toronto.
Life and career
Welsh was born in Edmonton, Alberta, to a father who worked for the Canadian National Railway. He grew up in Alberta and studied drama at school. Later, he moved to Montreal and attended the National Theatre School. Following graduation, he auditioned for the Stratford Festival in Ontario and continued the first seven years of his career on stage.
Welsh has portrayed historical figures including Thomas E. Dewey, Colin Thatcher, Harry S. Truman (twice), Thomas Edison, James "Scotty" Reston, General Harry Crerar and James Baker. He has made guest appearances on the acclaimed TV series Due South and Slings and Arrows.
In 1984, he was nominated for a Genie Award as Best Actor for his portrayal of Reno Colt in the film Reno and the Doc, written and directed by Charles Dennis. In 1997, Welsh directed Dennis in the latter's play SoHo Duo at the West Bank Theatre in New York City. In 2003, he was made a Member of the Order of Canada.
His role as the Vice-President of the United States in the 2004 environmental disaster film The Day After Tomorrow, sparked some controversy due to his physical resemblance to Dick Cheney, who at the time was the real Vice-President. Director Roland Emmerich later confirmed that he deliberately chose Welsh for that very reason. Emmerich stated that the character of the Vice-President in the film was intended to be a not-so-subtle criticism of the environmental policies of the George W. Bush Administration.
Welsh was a follower of Adi Da, an American spiritual teacher, whose focus was primarily on the priority of spiritual enlightenment. In 2000, Welsh narrated Da's audiobook, "What, Where, When, How, Why, and Who to Remember to Be Happy".
- Bailey's Billion$ (2005) as Mouse Delaney
- This Is Wonderland
- Episode #2.3 (2005) TV Episode
- The Aftermath (2005 TV Episode) as Seymour Henderson
- The Whale (2005 TV Episode) as Seymour Henderson
- Risk Tolerance (2005 TV Episode as Seymour Annisman
- The Game (2005 TV Episode) as Seymour Henderson
- Our Fathers (2005) (TV) as Bishop Murphy
- Four Brothers (2005) as Robert Bradford
- The Exorcism of Emily Rose (2005) (as Ken Welsh) as Dr. Mueller
- The Fog (2005) as Tom Malone
- Spare Parts (2004 TV Episode) as Dr. Shelby Sloane
- Baby Bomb (2004 TV Episode) as Dr. Shelby Sloane
- The Face of God (2005 TV Episode) as Dr. Shelby Sloane
- Category 7: The End of the World (2005) (mini TV Series) as Chief of Staff Alan Horst
- The Snow Queen (2005) (TV) as King
- Above and Beyond (2005) (mini TV Series, in post-production) as Lord Beaverbrook
- Kit Kittredge: An American Girl (2008) as Uncle Hendrick
- Survival of the Dead (2009)
- Human Target (2010) as Belvilacqua
- Haven (2011) (episode "The Tides That Bind") as Cole Glendower
- The Story of Luke (2012) as Jonas
- The Art of the Steal (2013) as 'Uncle' Paddy McCarthy
- The Best Laid Plans (2014) as Angus McClintock
- The Expanse (2016) as Frank Degraff
- The Ballad of Immortal Joe (2016) - Narrator
- Kenneth Welsh Biography ((?)-)
- 'The Day After Tomorrow' heats up a political debate by Scott Bowles, USA Today, May 26, 2004. (retrieved on January 12, 2009).
- "We Talked To Majical Cloudz". Vice, January 4, 2013.
- "What, Where, When, How, Why, and Who to Remember to Be Happy". The Utne Reader (103-108): 98. 2000. Retrieved April 10, 2017.
In this CD, Avatar Adi Da tells children exactly what to do every day to remember, feel, and breathe everlasting happiness. Narrated by award-winning actor Kenneth Welsh (Legends of the Fall, Perfectly Normal), with music by acclaimed composer Ray Lynch. Listen to this magical CD and be transported into the feeling of the Mystery!
- "Awards for Loyalties". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved April 2, 2018.