Kent State University at Salem
|Motto||Excellence in Action|
|Dean||Wanda Thomas (Interim)|
|Location||Salem, Ohio, United States
|Campus||98 acres (40 ha), suburban|
Kent State University at Salem, also known as Kent State University Salem and Kent State Salem Campus, is a public university offering baccalaureate and associate degree programs located in Salem Township and Salem, Ohio, USA. Kent State Salem is administered with Kent State University at East Liverpool as Kent State University's Columbiana County Campuses. As of September 2011, enrollment at Kent State Salem is 2,023 with total enrollment for the Columbiana Campuses at over 3,500. Kent State Salem occupies two buildings, the City Center and the Main Building. The City Center is located in downtown Salem on the former site of Salem High School, while the Main Building is located on the 98 acres (40 ha) campus in Salem Township, just south of the Salem city limits. In August 2011, the Health and Sciences wing was completed. The wing consists of additional centralized classrooms, labs, lecture hall and centralized faculty offices for nursing and radiology.
Like other Kent State regional campuses, students at Kent State Salem can begin coursework for any of the undergraduate majors available at Kent State. Combined with Kent State East Liverpool, more than 20 degrees are offered, including 12 bachelor's degrees. Tuition is also lower than at the main campus in Kent for in-state, lower division classes. Out-of-state tuition for residents in select counties in West Virginia and Pennsylvania was reduced in the spring of 2010. Residents must reside in either Brooke, Hancock or Ohio counties in West Virginia, or, Allegheny, Beaver, Butler, Crawford, Erie, Lawrence or Mercer county in Western Pennsylvania. As of September 2011, enrollment at Kent State Salem is 2,023.
Kent State Salem was established in 1962 as an outreach program housed at Salem High School. In 1966 it was relocated to an office building on South Broadway Street before it was moved to the permanent campus site in 1971.
- "Campuses". Kent.edu. Kent State University. 2012. Archived from the original on January 25, 2012. Retrieved January 26, 2012.
- "Campuses". Kent.edu. Kent State University. 2012. Retrieved January 26, 2012.
- "kent.edu" (PDF). Kent State University. Archived from the original (PDF) on 3 December 2013. Retrieved 26 January 2011.
- "News: Out-of-state tuition reduction". Kent State University. Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- "Fifteenth Day Enrollment Statistics" (PDF). Kent.edu/RPIE. Kent State University. September 2011. Retrieved 12 January 2012.[permanent dead link] Numbers use concurrent enrollment
- "About Columbiana County". Salem.Kent.edu. Kent State University. 2011. Retrieved February 8, 2011.