Kentish Town West railway station
|Kentish Town West|
Location of Kentish Town West in Greater London
|Local authority||London Borough of Camden|
|Managed by||London Overground|
|Number of platforms||2|
|OSI||Kentish Town |
|National Rail annual entry and exit|
|1867||Opened as Kentish Town|
|1924||Renamed Kentish Town West|
|1971||Closed due to fire|
|Lists of stations|
| London Transport portal
UK Railways portal
Kentish Town West railway station, on the North London Line, is in Prince of Wales Road in the London Borough of Camden. It is in Travelcard Zone 2. The station and all trains serving it are operated by London Overground.
The station opened on 1 April 1867 as "Kentish Town", was renamed "Kentish Town West" on 2 June 1924, and closed after a serious fire on 18 April 1971. Despite an announcement in 1976 that the station would not reopen, it was rebuilt and re-opened on 5 October 1981 under British Rail.
To allow four-car trains to run on the London Overground network, the North London Line between Gospel Oak and Stratford closed in February 2010, and reopened on 1 June 2010, in order to install a new signalling system and to extend 30 platforms. After the reopening the work continued until May 2011 with a reduced service and none on Sundays.
The station is managed by London Overground, which also operates all services from the station. The basic weekday service is six trains per hour in each direction, calling at every station. Four are Richmond to Stratford North London Line services, the remaining two are West London Line services between Clapham Junction and Stratford (the latter do not run in the very late evening).
|Preceding station||London Overground||Following station|
|North London Line||
- "Out of Station Interchanges" (XLS). Transport for London. May 2011. Archived from the original on 20 October 2012.
- "Station usage estimates". Rail statistics. Office of Rail Regulation. Please note: Some methodology may vary year on year.
- Joe Brown (2006). London Railway Atlas. Ian Allan Publishing.
- Vic Mitchell and Keith Smith (1997). North London Line. Middleton Press.
- "London Overground to close from Gospel Oak to Stratford as part of £326m upgrade to deliver longer, more frequent trains". TfL. 15 February 2010. Retrieved 29 May 2011.
- Table 59 National Rail timetable, May 2016
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kentish Town West railway station.|
|This London railway station–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|