Kentucky Route 90
|Maintained by KYTC|
|Length:||134.734 mi (216.833 km)|
|West end:||I-65 / KY 70 in Cave City|
| US 31W in Cave City
US 31E / US 68 / KY 80 in Glasgow
Cumberland Parkway in Glasgow
US 127 in Snow
US 27 in Burnside
US 27 in Parkers Lake
|East end:||US 25W northwest of Williamsburg|
|Counties:||Barren, Metcalfe, Cumberland, Clinton, Wayne, Pulaski, McCreary, Whitley|
Kentucky Route 90 is a major east-west state highway in southern Kentucky. The route is 134.734 miles (216.833 km) long, and it traverses Barren, Metcalfe, Cumberland, Clinton, Wayne, Pulaski, McCreary and Whitley Counties in southern Kentucky. It originates near the KY 70 junction with Interstate 65 in Cave City and ends at a junction with US 25W at Youngs Creek.
- 1 Route description
- 2 Points of interest along the route
- 3 History
- 4 Major intersections
- 5 Special routes
- 6 Former special routes
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Barren and Metcalfe Counties
Kentucky Route 90 begins at Cave City at an intersection with KY 70, equipped with a traffic light, in the one part of the city where many restaurants, hotels, and gas stations are located. It is a major tourism hot-spot due to the close proximity to Mammoth Cave National Park, in nearby Edmonson County, along with few other attractions along KY 70 west of the city. Signs at the I-65 exit tend to imply that KY 90 ends at the exit itself, while state highway documents indicate that the end is at the intersection with KY 70, about 100 yards (91 m) from the exit proper. In spite of this, both KY 70 and KY 90 markers appear on the signage for Exit 53 of I-65. After KY 90's first mile, it intersects U.S. Route 31W, still within city limits of Cave City.
KY 90 then heads into a south-southeasterly path to the Barren County seat, Glasgow, where it crosses the Veterans Outer Loop (US 68) passes the local Walmart and a local Marquee Cinema, and then has junctions with US Highways 31E and 68 Business, which is co-joined with Kentucky Route 80 in this area. It also has an intersection with US 31E's business loop at the Barren County courthouse. Before leaving the city of Glasgow, KY 90 has an intersection with the Louie B. Nunn Cumberland Parkway at the exit 14 interchange on the southeastern side of the city.
After leaving Glasgow, the highway continues in a southeasterly fashion and passes through the small town of Eighty Eight, and then goes into southern Metcalfe County, and passes through Summer Shade.
Cumberland and Clinton Counties
KY 90 enters Cumberland County, and passes through Marrowbone and the county seat, Burkesville. After going through Burkesville, KY 90 turns due east, crosses the Cumberland River, and has intersections with short roads leading to Dale Hollow Lake State Park, and then goes into Clinton County, where, for about 1.5 miles (2.4 km), it is co-joined with US 127, which is the core route of the annual World's Longest Yard Sale (a.k.a. The Highway 127 Corridor Sale), which takes place in early August.
Wayne County and beyond
KY 90 then goes through more rural areas and then into Wayne County where it intersects Kentucky Route 92 at Monticello. The state highway continues into a northeasterly course towards Mill Springs, the site of a famous Civil War battle site, and a mill built in 1877 (accessible via KY 1275). It enters the southern portion of Pulaski County. The highway's concurrency with US 27 begins after KY 90 crosses the Cumberland River for a second time (except the river at that point would still be part of Lake Cumberland) near Burnside, Kentucky. KY 90 runs concurrently with U.S. 27 for about 14.6 miles (23.5 km) from Burnside to Parkers Lake. This stretch of road is the gateway to General Burnside State Park After departing US 27 in northern McCreary County, KY 90 is the main route that accesses Cumberland Falls State Resort Park. At the route's terminus in the Whitley County community of Young's Creek, there is a 0.32 mile-long (0.51 km) spur called KY 90S that serves as a secondary entrance to the highway for northbound traffic on U.S. 25W. The road is signed as KY 90, however.
Points of interest along the route
These are points of interest that can be accessible along this route:
- Mammoth Cave Wildlife Museum at Cave City.
- Roadside Park in Marrowbone, Kentucky once served as a hospital camp for both the Union and Confederate soldiers during the Civil War.
- Seventy Six Falls (accessible via KY 704), is a waterfall along the shoreline of Lake Cumberland in northern Clinton County.
- Mill Springs Mill (Wayne County) (accessible via KY 1275).
- General Burnside State Park near Burnside.
- Cumberland Falls State Resort Park at the McCreary/Whitley County line. Cumberland Falls is the only large waterfall south of the Niagara frontier that is famous for the "moonbow" in the light of the full moon under the right conditions.
- Crystal Onyx Cave & Campground, located in Pruitt's Knob just south of Cave City, had two entrances via KY 90 and US Route 31W. The cave was closed down in 2010 following the excessive rainfall the area had that caused flash flooding in Kentucky and Tennessee in May of that year.
Roller Coaster Fair
Kentucky Route 90 from Cave City to just north of Albany, along with Kentucky Route 63 from Glasgow to Tompkinsville, Kentucky, along with US Route 127 in Clinton County, and Tennessee state highways 52, 111, and 51 are designated as the marked route for the annual Roller Coaster Fair, a long route-based yard sale event held the first weekend of October.
The early days (1929-1960)
KY 90 was established in 1929 as one of the charter routes of the Kentucky State Highway System. The highway's original western terminus was located in downtown Glasgow at a junction with KY 80 (which at the time was not co-signed with US 68 in this area until the 1940s). Along the route, it connected to certain areas via two ferries, one at Burkesville, and the other at the Whitley/McCreary County line near Cumberland Falls. KY 90's eastern terminus was at a junction with US 25W, but at the time it was in downtown Corbin at the Whitley/Laurel County line. Sometime between 1940 and 1955, US 25W was rerouted to its current route, and KY 90's eastern end was relocated to an area between Corbin and Cumberland Falls. A bridge near the falls was built sometime during that time frame so KY 90 traffic would not be bombarded with rapids that affected ferry service.
Also during the 1950s, KY 90 was extended northwestward from its previous terminus in downtown Glasgow, to a junction with U.S. Route 31W, which at the time was south of Cave City. The road that KY 90 took over, Happy Valley Road, was previously signed as Kentucky Route 351.
The modern days (1960-present)
At sometime between 1969 and 1973, KY 90 from the KY 685 junction to US 31W was rerouted to make KY 90 go directly into Cave City. KY 90's western terminus was also relocated to its current west end at a then-new junction with KY 70 near the I-65 exit 53 interchange, thus extending KY 90 by another 0.8 miles (1.3 km), and providing westbound KY 90 traffic direct access to I-65.
In 2013, KY 90 between the Cumberland Parkway junction and the Eighty Eight community was reconstructed to add truck-climbing lanes in two spots. Reconstruction of KY 90 continued from that area to the Metcalfe County line, and was completed by Fall 2015. In September and October 2014, the first 0.4 miles (0.64 km) of KY 90, along with the KY 70 overpass over I-65 (the latter of which began in 2013), were both reconstructed and were widened to four lanes, plus a center lane for left turns.
Some talks between the KYTC and Stantec are taking place to widen an 8.4 miles (13.5 km) stretch of KY 90 from Cave City to Glasgow to either a 2+1 type of road (two lanes plus the turning lane in the center) or a complete 4-laner with a 40 miles (64 km) median. Plans for it are still yet to be placed on the agenda. Opinions of locals are being used for consideration before the project even happens.
|Barren||Cave City||0.000||0.000||KY 70 (Mammoth Cave Road/Mammoth Cave Street) to I-65 – Mammoth Cave, Brownsville, Cave City Business District, Nashville (TN), Louisville||I-65 just west of intersection|
|0.819||1.318||US 31W (Dixie Highway) to KY 70 – Park City, Horse Cave|
|||3.186||5.127||KY 685 (Wilson Road) to KY 2143 (Old Happy Valley Road)||Old Happy Valley Road is old KY 90|
|Glasgow||7.886||12.691||Airport Road to Glasgow Municipal Airport|
|8.587||13.819||US 68 (Veterans Outer Loop) / KY 80 north to US 31E|
|9.923||15.970||US 31E north (North L. Rogers Wells Boulevard)||West end of US 31E concurrency|
US 31E south (South L. Roger Wells Blvd.) / US 68 Bus. west (West Main Street) to US 68 Truck east / KY 90 Truck east / Cumberland Parkway
|East end of US 31E concurrency; west end of US 68 Bus. concurrency.
Truck Routes follow US 31E south.
US 31E Bus. north (North Race Street)
|West end of US 31E Bus. concurrency|
US 31E Bus. south (South Green Street) to KY 63
|End of two-block concurrency with one-way 31E Bus. south around courthouse; begin concurrency with 31E Bus. north|
US 31E Bus. north / US 68 Bus. / KY 90 west (East Main Street)
|End of concurrency with US31E; North 31E Bus./west 68 Bus./west 90 intersect here and continue west|
US 68 Bus. east (North Broadway Street)
|End of concurrency with US 68 Bus.|
Cumberland Parkway / US 68 Truck / KY 90 Truck west – Bowling Green, Somerset
|Interchange; Truck route follows westbound parkway; exit 14|
|||14.795||23.810||KY 2198 east (Green Valley Road)||Western terminus of KY 2198|
|||18.120||29.161||KY 1330 east (Kino Road)||Western terminus of KY 1330|
|Eighty Eight||19.058||30.671||KY 839 south (Nobob Road)||Northern terminus of KY 839|
|Metcalfe||Summer Shade||25.358||40.810||KY 640 north (Randolph-Summer Shade Road)||Southern terminus of KY 640|
|||27.346||44.009||KY 2387 north (Mount Moriah Road)||Southern terminus of KY 2387|
|||27.815||44.764||KY 163 (Tompkinsville Road)|
|Cumberland||||36.734||59.118||KY 1312 north||Southern terminus of KY 1312|
|Marrowbone||39.132||62.977||KY 3115 south||Northern terminus of KY 3115|
|||40.054||64.461||KY 496 north (Old Waterview Road)||Southern terminus of KY 496|
|Waterview||42.483||68.370||KY 100 west (Old Waterview Road)||Eastern terminus of KY 100|
|||46.212||74.371||KY 691 west||Eastern terminus of KY 691|
|||46.979||75.605||KY 2276 east||Western terminus of KY 2276|
|Burkesville||48.569||78.164||KY 61 north (North Main Street) – Columbia||Begin concurrency with KY 61|
|48.828||78.581||KY 61 north (South Main Street)||Southern end of traffic circle around the courthouse|
|49.401||79.503||KY 61 south (Celina Road) – Dale Hollow Lake State Resort Park, Sulphur Ck Resort, Hendricks Creek Boat Dock||End of concurrency with KY 61|
|50.203||80.794||KY 1880 east||Western terminus of KY 1880|
|Clinton||||59.945||96.472||KY 1590 – Jamestown|
|||62.995||101.381||US 127 north / KY 3156 east – Jamestown, Wolf Creek Dam||West end of concurrency with US 127; western terminus of KY 3156|
|||63.582||102.325||US 127 south / KY 724 north – Albany, Clinton County Area Tech Center||East end of concurrency with US 127; southern terminus of KY 724|
|||64.392||103.629||KY 3062 west||Eastern terminus of KY 3062|
|||65.840||105.959||KY 2063 west||Eastern terminus of KY 2063|
|||66.736||107.401||KY 350 south||Northern terminus of KY 350|
|||68.552||110.324||KY 829 north||Southern terminus of KY 829|
|||69.328||111.573||KY 2546 north||Southern terminus of KY 2546|
|Susie||74.281||119.544||KY 834 south||Western end of KY 834 overlap|
|74.455||119.824||KY 834 north||Eastern end of KY 834 overlap|
|||76.127||122.515||KY 858 east||Western terminus of KY 858|
|||77.249||124.320||KY 1546 west||Eastern terminus of KY 1546|
KY 90 Bus. east (Albany Road) / KY 3284 north (White Way Inn Road) – Monticello
|Western terminus of KY 90 Business route; southern terminus of KY 3284|
|82.175||132.248||KY 92 (Columbia Avenue) – Monticello|
KY 90 Bus. west / KY 1275
|Eastern terminus of KY 90 Bus.; 90 Bus. to the south, 1275 both ways; Wayne County Airport just northwest of intersection off 1275|
|Touristville||90.408||145.498||KY 1275 south / KY 1619 east||Northern terminus of KY 1275; western terminus of KY 1619|
|||90.768||146.077||KY 3282 north||Southern terminus of KY 3282|
|||93.291||150.137||KY 1619 west||Eastern terminus of KY 1619|
|Frazer||94.218||151.629||KY 1568 south||Northern terminus of KY 1568|
|Pulaski||Bronston||99.228||159.692||KY 790 south||Northern terminus of KY 790|
|Bridge over the Cumberland River|
|Somerset||100.492||161.726||US 27 north to Cumberland Parkway north / KY 1247 to I-75 – Somerset, Whitley City||US 27 is an interchange; KY 90 follows 27 south; 1247 straight ahead|
|Bridge over the Cumberland River|
KY 2295 Conn. to KY 2295 – General Burnside State Park
|101.809||163.846||KY 2294 (French Street)|
|102.169||164.425||KY 2295 south (East Antioch Avenue)||Northern terminus of KY 2295|
|102.438||164.858||KY 2295 north (West Lakeshore Drive)||Southern terminus of KY 2295|
|||104.297||167.850||KY 804 south (Garland Road)||Northern terminus of KY 804|
|||105.080||169.110||KY 751 south (Keno Road)||Northern terminus of KY 751|
|McCreary||Greenwood||112.402||180.893||KY 2282 north||Southern terminus of KY 2282|
|Parkers Lake||115.090||185.219||US 27 south||Eastern/southern end of US 27 concurrency|
|||116.936||188.190||KY 3254 east (Vanover Ridge Road)||Western terminus of KY 3254|
|||119.464||192.259||KY 3255 south (North Beerock Road)||Northern terminus of KY 3255|
|||120.000||193.121||KY 3257 east (Mill Creek Road)||Western terminus of KY 3257|
|||122.092||196.488||KY 896 north (Warman-Bryant Cemetery Road)||Southern terminus of KY 896|
|||124.681||200.655||KY 700 west to KY 1045||Eastern terminus of KY 700|
KY 90 Spur east to US 25W south / I-75 south
|Short spur. 90E signed to north US 25W/I-75, spur signed to south US 25W/I-75|
|||135.338||217.805||US 25W to I-75|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
Glasgow truck route
Kentucky Route 90 Truck is a truck route in Glasgow, Kentucky.
The following is a list of routes that are the component routes of KY 90 Truck:
- US 31E from the US 68 Business/KY 90 Junction, and
- Louie B. Nunn Cumberland Parkway between exits 11 and 14.
Monticello business route
|Length:||3.535 mi (5.689 km)|
The entire route is in Wayne County.
|Monticello||0.000||0.000||KY 90 / KY 3284 west (White Way Inn Road) – Burkesville, Albany, Somerset||Western terminus|
|0.835||1.344||KY 167 south – Mount Pigsah, Pickett State Park and Forest||Northern terminus of KY-167|
|1.264||2.034||KY 92 west (West Columbia Avenue)||Western end of KY 92 concurency|
|1.327||2.136||KY 92 east (Michigan Avenue) – Stearns, Big South Fork N.R.R.||Eastern End of KY 92 concurrency|
|2.868||4.616||KY 1275 south / KY 3106 east||Southern end of KY 1275 concurrency|
|3.535||5.689||KY 90 / KY 1275 north – Burnside, Somerset, Mill Springs, Burkesville, Mill Springs Mill, General Burnside State Park||Eastern terminus; Northern end of KY 1275 concurrency; KY 1275 continues straight ahead|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
Kentucky Route 90 Spur
|Length:||0.318 mi (0.512 km)|
Kentucky Route 90 Spur (KY 90S) is a spur route of KY 90 in rural northern Whitley County. Although this route is not signed, the route connects KY 90 with U.S. Route 25W just south of KY 90's eastern terminus east of Cumberland Falls. KY 90S is 0.318 miles (0.512 km) long, and it is said to be the original alignment of KY 90's final 0.374 miles (0.602 km).
Former special routes
Glasgow alternate route
|Location:||Glasgow, Barren County|
|Length:||2.4 mi (3.9 km)|
In Glasgow, at one time, Alternate KY 90 ran from the US 31E bypass junction with KY 90, continuing as Happy Valley Road, to the intersection with Business Route 31E (North Race Street), and follows the US 31E business route until it reaches the Barren County Courthouse, where KY 90 runs (while being co-signed with US 68 and KY 80, a.k.a. West Main Street). Sometime in the 2000s, that designation was decommissioned. The regular KY 90 became co-signed with US 31E (L. Roger Wells Blvd) from that intersection to the junction with US 68/KY 80, and KY 90 followed US 68 and KY 80 to the Public Square.
- Division of Planning. "Official Milepoint Route Log Extract". Highway Information System. Kentucky Transportation Cabinet. Retrieved February 22, 2016.
- Seventy Six Falls, KY[full citation needed]
- Mill Springs Mill - Monticello, Kentucky[full citation needed]
- http://rollercoasterfair.com/about.htm[full citation needed]
- VENDOR LOCATIONS 29 FACILITIES[full citation needed]
- Kentucky Department of State Highways (September 15, 1939). Road Map of Kentucky (PDF) (Map). c. 1:760,320. Frankfort: Kentucky Department of State Highways. Retrieved October 7, 2014.
- Kentucky Department of Highways (1957). Kentucky Official Highway Map (PDF) (Map). c. 1:760,320. Frankfort: Kentucky Department of Highways. Retrieved October 7, 2014.
- Kentucky Department of Highways (1955). BarrenCounty Highway Map (PDF) (Map). Frankfort: Kentucky Department of Highways. Retrieved October 7, 2014.
- Kentucky Department of State Highways (1937). Barren County Highway Map (PDF) (Map). Frankfort: Kentucky Department of Highways. Retrieved October 7, 2014.
- Kentucky Department of Highways (1973). Kentucky Official Highway and Parkway Map (PDF) (Map). c. 1:760,320. Frankfort: Kentucky Department of Highways. Retrieved October 7, 2014.
- Overstreet, Melinda J. (August 13, 2015). "Road work on KY 90E advances". Glasgow Daily Times.[page needed]
- Kinslow, Gina (September 16, 2014). "Expect lane closures this week on Happy Valley Road".[full citation needed]
- French, Jackson (June 29, 2016). "Kentucky Transportation Cabinet hears public comments on planned KY 90 widening". Bowling Green Daily News, pages A1 and A-6.
- http://millenniumhwy.net/Nashville_2005/PICT0281.jpg[full citation needed][self-published source?]
- 2013 Various Kentucky Pics April-June - an album on Flickr[full citation needed]
- 2013 Various Kentucky Pics April-June - 032 | Flickr - photo sharing![full citation needed]
- https://www.flickr.com/photos/hbelkins/9267258007/in/set-72157634603143159[full citation needed]
- Official Barren County Highway Map[full citation needed].
- https://www.flickr.com/photos/hbelkins/8220879419/in/set-72157632109261886[full citation needed]
- https://www.flickr.com/photos/hbelkins/8221957468/in/set-72157632109261886[full citation needed]
- Old Road Signs in Kentucky[full citation needed][self-published source?]
- http://millenniumhwy.net/signs%26sights/ky/barren/index.html[full citation needed][self-published source?]
- "State Primary Road System in Barren County" (PDF). (33.2 KB)
- "State Primary Road System in Metcalfe County" (PDF). (18.5 KB)
- "State Primary Road System in Cumberland County" (PDF). (13.6 KB)
- "State Primary Road System in Clinton County" (PDF). (20.3 KB)
- "State Primary Road System in Wayne County" (PDF). (20.8 KB)
- "State Primary Road System in Pulaski County" (PDF). (35.9 KB)
- "State Primary Road System in McCreary County" (PDF). (18.9 KB)
- "State Primary Road System in Whitley County" (PDF). (62.2 KB)
- KY 90 at Kentucky Roads