Kenya (Commonwealth realm)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
"Let us all pull together"
Ee Mungu Nguvu Yetu
O God of All Creation
|•||Lower House||House of Representatives|
|Historical era||Cold War|
|•||Independence||12 December 1963|
|•||Republic||12 December 1964|
|Currency||East African shilling|
The Commonwealth realm of Kenya, officially known as "Kenya", was a predecessor to the modern-day Republic of Kenya. It existed between 12 December 1963 and 12 December 1964.
When British rule ended in 1963, the Kenya Colony was given independence as a Commonwealth realm in which form the state existed until the proclamation of the Republic of Kenya came into existence on 12 December 1964. During this time, the British monarch (Elizabeth II) remained head of state. Kenya shared the Sovereign with the other Commonwealth realms. The monarch's constitutional roles were mostly delegated to the Governor-General of Kenya:
- Malcolm John Macdonald (12 December 1963 – 12 December 1964)
The royal succession was governed by the English Act of Settlement of 1701.
Jomo Kenyatta held office as prime minister (and head of government). Despite being head of state of Kenya throughout this period; Queen Elizabeth II never visited Kenya in her capacity as 'Queen of Kenya', though she did visit:
- 1952 (6 February), before independence
- 1972 (26 March), after Kenya's transition to a republic
- 1983 (10–14 November)
- 1991 (7 October)
- "Kenya: Archontology". Archontology.org. 2011-04-30. Retrieved 2017-01-26.
- "Kenya: Heads of State: 1963-1964". Archontology.org. Retrieved 2017-01-26.
- "Kenya: Governors-General: 1963-1964". Archontology.org. Retrieved 2017-01-26.
- "Kenya: Heads of State: 1964-2017". Archontology.org. Retrieved 2017-01-26.
- "Kenya: Polity Style: 1963-2017". Archontology.org. Retrieved 2017-01-26.
- "Kenya: Sources". Archontology.org. Retrieved 2017-01-26.
- "Orders of the Day — Kenya Republic Bill: 1 Feb 1965: House of Commons debates". TheyWorkForYou. Retrieved 2017-01-26.
- "KENYA REPUBLIC BILL (Hansard, 1 February 1965)". Hansard.millbanksystems.com. Retrieved 2017-01-26.
- Lord Taylor. "KENYA REPUBLIC BILL (Hansard, 23 February 1965)". Hansard.millbanksystems.com. Retrieved 2017-01-26.