Kirinyaga local elections, 2013
Local elections were held in Kirinyaga to elect a Governor and County Assembly on 4 March 2013. Under the new constitution, which was passed in a 2010 referendum, the 2013 general elections were the first in which Governors and members of the County Assemblies for the newly created counties were elected. They will also be the first general elections run by the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission(IEBC) which has released the official list of candidates.
|Kagai, Bedan Muriithi||Karuri, Rev. Joyce Gaturi||Grand National Union||--|
|Kibicho, James Kareu||Njuki, Joseph Nduku||NARC–Kenya||--|
|Kiragu, John Mwangi||Maina, David Njoroge||Agano Party||--|
|Ndathi, Joseph Kathuri||Njiri, Julius Muthike||The National Alliance||--|
|Nyagah, James Munyambu||Miano, Joseph Murithi||Democratic Party||--|
The following are some of the candidates who have made public their intentions to run:
- Njeru Githae - Finance minister
- Joseph Ndathi - former director in charge of administration in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- James Kibicho - former Ndia Constituency MP (NARC–Kenya)
- John Kiragu - businessman (NARC–Kenya)
- James Nyaga - former managing director of Kenya Planters Cooperative Union, (Democratic Party)
- Bedan Kagai - Grand National Union
- "Kenya to hold polls in March 2013, says elections body". The Citizen. 18 March 2012. Retrieved 2 September 2012.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 20 February 2013. Retrieved 2013-03-02.
- "Insecurity and irrigation top of the Kirinyaga agenda". Daily Nation. 13 December 2012. Retrieved 20 January 2013.