Kenyatta University Logo
Motto in English
|Knowledge Is A Source of Strength|
|Chancellor||Benson Wairegi, BCom, MBA, CPA|
|Vice-Chancellor||Professor Olive Mugenda|
|Location||Kahawa, Kiambu County, Kenya
Kenyatta University (KU), is a multi-campus public university with its main campus in Kiambu County's Ruiru Constituency, Kahawa area. As of October 2014, it was one of twenty three public universities in the country.
The University main campus is located at Kahawa, Kiambu County, approximately 20 kilometres (12 mi), by road, northeast of the central business district of Nairobi, the capital, of Kenya and the largest city in that country. The campus lies along the road between Nairobi and the Central Kenyan town of Thika. The coordinates of Kenyatta University main campus are:1°10'59.0"S; 36°55'34.0"E (Latitude:-1.183056; Longitude:36.926111). The university maintains other campuses at the following locations:
In 1965, British Government handed over the Templar Barracks in Kahawa, to the newly formed government of Kenya. The barracks were then converted into a college called Kenyatta College. In 1970, Kenyatta College became a constituent College of the University of Nairobi, and its name changed to Kenyatta University College, following an Act of Parliament. In 1985, it was granted full university status, and was renamed Kenyatta University.
The university offers bachelor's degrees, master's degrees, and doctoral degrees through eleven campuses. The degrees awarded include those in medicine and law. The university has open-learning, e-learning, school-based, part-time and full-time teaching. Kenyatta University is accredited by (a) Kenya Commission of University Education (b) Inter-University Council for East Africa (c) Africa Association of Universities (d) International Association of Universities and (e) Commonwealth Universities.
- School of Humanities And Social Sciences (2002)
- School of Visual And Performing Arts (2008)
- School of Education (1970)
- School of Pure And Applied Sciences
- School of Engineering And Technology (1985)
- School of Environmental Studies (2003)
- School of Applied Human Sciences (2008)
- School of Health Sciences (2004)
- School of Business
- School of Economics (1998)
- School of Agriculture And Enterprise Development
- School of Law
- School of Hospitality & Tourism
- School of Public Health (2011)
- Graduate School
- Digital School of Virtual & Open Learning
The Centre for International Programmes and Collaboration at Kenyatta University, is a strategic unit under the office of the Vice, responsible for coordinating all international activities, collaborations and linkages.
Kenyatta University offers the following disciplines:
- Men’s sports
Football, rugby, hockey, volleyball, netball, handball, basketball, tennis, table tennis, squash, badminton, chess, scrabble, darts, boxing, bodybuilding, taekwondo, swimming, athletics(track and field), scrabble, karate, rollball, woodball, judo, wrestling, Goalball, baseball, softball.
- Women Sports
Football, Rugby, Hockey, Volleyball, Netball, Handball, Basketball, Tennis, Table Tennis, Squash, Badminton, Chess, Scrabble, Darts, Boxing, Fitness Modelling, Taekwondo, Swimming, Athletics (Track And Field), Scrabble, Karate, Rollball, Woodball, Judo, Goalball, Baseball, Softball Seminars Short – term Courses in coaching, Sports management, training and Sports leadership are offered.
KU has wide sports infrastructure for all recreational and competition needs. The facilities are well maintained for students, staff and community use:
- Two swimming pools
- One gymnasium
- Five soccer fields
- Seven tennis courts
- Four volleyball courts
- One rugby field
- Two badminton courts
- One squash court
- Three netball fields
- Two athletics & track fields
- Three handball courts
- Two hockey fields
- Four basketball courts
- Two common rooms for indoor sports & board games.
- KU Sports Achievements
2012 - National Champions, Kenya University Women’s Games 2011 - National Champions, Kenya University Games 2010 - 3rd Best University, East Africa University Games 2009 - National Champions, Kenya University Games 2006 - 6th Best University, East Africa University Games 2004 - 2nd Best University, East Africa University Games
The following individuals are listed under "Prominent Alumni" at the Kenyatta University website:
- Mwai Kibaki - Former President of Kenya, 2002 to 2013
- Stephen Kalonzo Musyoka - Former Vice President of Kenya, 2008 to 2013
- Jakaya Kikwete - President of the United Republic of Tanzania, 2005 to Present
- Daniel arap Moi - Former President of Kenya, 1978 to 2002
- Benjamin Mkapa - Former President of Tanzania, 1995 to 2005
- Dr. Harris Mule - Former Chancellor of Kenyatta University
- Dr. Mostafa Tolba - Former Executive Director of the United Nations Environment Programme
- Dr. Geoffrey William Griffin (RIP) - Founder and late Director of Starehe Boys' Centre and School
- Dr. James Mwangi - Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer, Equity Bank Group
- Dr. Eddah Gachukia - Academic Director, Riara Group of Schools
- Professor Michael Bernard Kwesi - Professor, Department of Geography, Kenyatta University
- Professor John Mutio - Former Deputy Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, Kenyatta University
- Lawrence M. Mungai - Former Registrar of Kenyatta University College
- Professor James M. Waithaka - Professor & Deputy Principal, Kenyatta University College
- Professor J. M. Mungai (RIP) - Late former Vice-Chancellor, University of Nairobi.
- Phillip Ndegwa (RIP) - Late founding Chairman, Kenyatta University Council, 1985 to 1994.
- Professor Onesmo ole-MoiYoi - Former Chairman, Kenyatta University Council, 1994 to 2010.
- Daudi Kabaka (RIP) - Late musician and Band Leader of Kenyatta University Band.
As of December 2014[update], the current Chancellor is Benson Wairegi, BCom, MBA, CPA. The Vice Chancellor is Professor Olive Mugenda, BEd, MSc, MBA, PhD, EBS, CBS, the first female Vice Chancellor of a public university in Kenya. There are four Deputy Vice Chancellors and four Registrars, to assist the Vice Chancellor carry out her mandate.
- The Deputy Vice Chancellors are
- DVC Academic Affairs: Professor John Okumu
- DVC Administration: Professor P.K. Wainaina
- DVC Finance and Development: Professor Godfrey Mse
- DVC Research, Innovation & Outreach: Professor F.K Gravenir
- The registrars are
- Registrar Academic: Dr. Stephen N. Nyaga
- Registrar Administration: Dr. Daniel M. Muindi
- Registrar Finance and Development: Dr. Nelson Karagu
- Registrar Research Innovation & Outreach: Dr. Vincent Onywera
The Director of Student Affairs is Dr. Edwin Gimonde, and the Director of Open Distance & e-Learning is Dr. Nzuki Mwinzi.
- Manyuira, Wilson (11 September 2013). "Kenyatta University Commissions First Uni City Development". 98.4 Capital FM (Nairobi). Retrieved 1 December 2014.
- Nganga, Gilbert (2 October 2011). "Kenya: Double Student Intake Kicks Off At Kenyatta". University World News (UWN). Retrieved 1 December 2014.
- "Road Distance Between Nairobi And Kahawa With Interactive Map". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 1 December 2014.
- Google, . "Location of Kenyatta University Main Campus At Google Maps". Google Maps. Retrieved 1 December 2014.
- KU, . "The Campuses of Kenyatta University". Kenyatta University (KU). Retrieved 1 December 2014.
- KU, . (21 March 2013). "Short History of Kenyatta University". Kenyatta University (KU). Retrieved 1 December 2014.
- KU, . (7 June 2013). "Accreditation of Kenyatta University". Kenyatta University (KU). Retrieved 1 December 2014.
- KU, . (22 August 2013). "The Schools of Kenyatta University". Kenyatta University (KU). Retrieved 1 December 2014.
- KU, . "Kenyatta University Prominent Alumni". Kenyatta University (KU). Retrieved 1 December 2014.
- ISUALUM, . (2008). "Iowa State University Alumni Association: Distinguished Alumni Award - Olive Mwihaki Mugenda, 2008". Iowa State University Alumni Association (ISUALUM). Retrieved 1 December 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kenyatta University.|
- Official website
- Machakos University College website
- Pwani university college)
- More information about Colleges and Universities in Kenya
- Leading Colleges and Universities in Kenya