|Kerala Thunderbolts (India)|
Kerala Thunderbolts Logo
|Active||2012 – present|
|Motto(s)||Swift, Strong and Secure.|
Kerala Thunderbolts is an elite command force of the Kerala Police under the India Reserve Battalion set up in accordance with the Indian central government's directions post the 2008 Mumbai attacks. The commando force has been created to counter possible terror strikes and carry out counterinsurgency operations in Kerala. The force modeled on the Special Protection Group and National Security Guard are trained to engage in air, water and land attacks.
A Thunderbolt team carried out a combing operation in the Malapuram district following reports of sighting of Maoist insurgents in February, 2013. In March 2013, a 30 member Thunderbolt team was involved in a counterinsurgency combing operation in search of suspected Maoist insurgents in Kannur district in Kerala. On December 6, 2014, A gunfight broke out in a forest in Kerala’s hilly Wayanad district between the Thunderbolt unit and the left-wing rebels (Maoist).It was the first direct encounter between police and Maoists in the history of Kerala and no causality reported. 
Selection & Training
The commando force consists of 2 companies of 160 personnel, who have been recruited after undergoing 2 years of rigorous and specialized training at various institutions around the country including Army’s Counter Insurgency and Jungle Warfare School, Mizoram. Chief Minister Oommen Chandy, announced the approval of the Central Government for raising a second battalion of 40 more personnel, in the wake of increased terrorist activity across India.
The recruits, in the 18-21 age group, were selected after going through the Three Star physical Efficiency Test and Endurance test, as specified by the Kerala Public Service Commission. The second stage training was completed at Commando School, Chennai, National Disaster Management School, Coimbatore, Counter insurgency and Anti Terrorism School, Silchar, National Adventure School, Munnar, Underwater Operation and Diving school, Kochi and Airborne Operation Air force School, New Delhi.
The following equipment is used by the Thunderbolts
- Dicom Tactical Radio Sat phone
- Green Camouflage for Jungle warfare
- Blue shade on Black for Operations
- Black for night operations
- Navy Blue Safari Suit for VVIP Security
- Thermal heat detectors
- Reflex sights
- "Thunderbolt Commandos Failed to Trace Maoists". Just Kerala. Retrieved 2014-12-11.
- "Thunder Bolts add feather to Kerala Police". Mathrubhumi. UNI. 14 August 2012. Archived from the original on 16 August 2012. Retrieved 3 September 2013.
- "Kerala Thunder Bolts ready for action". Business Line. PTI. 13 August 2012. Retrieved 3 September 2013.
- "Kerala Timeline 2013". South Asia Terrorism Portal. Institute for Conflict Management. Retrieved 3 September 2013.
- "Thunderbolt team begins hunt for Maoists in Western Ghats". The New Indian Express. Thrissur. Express News Service. 14 May 2013. Retrieved 3 September 2013.
- "Thunderbolt team set to go Hi-tech". The New Indian Express. Kochi. Express News Service. 27 May 2013. Retrieved 3 September 2013.
- "Kerala gets approval for 2nd battalion of Thunderbolts: CM". Chennai Online. 24 August 2012. Archived from the original on 29 November 2014. Retrieved 3 September 2013.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9g5TIgSwLc - in Malayalam