|Regional unit||East Attica|
|• Municipal unit||129.864 km2 (50.141 sq mi)|
|Elevation||158 m (518 ft)|
|• Municipal unit||14,763|
|• Municipal unit density||110/km2 (290/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+2 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+3 (EEST)|
Keratea (Greek: Κερατέα) is a town in East Attica, Greece. Since the 2011 local government reform it is part of the municipality Lavreotiki, of which it is a municipal unit. The municipal unit has an area of 129.864 km2. Legend has it that when the barbarians came to attack Greece at the land of Keratea, Zeus and Hades drew the coast together so they can talk and allowed only a strip of water in between. The Greeks were so very few so to give them a fighting chance Zeus and Hades summoned Poseidon and asked him to send waves bigger than the barbarian's ships. People from that time say that even the Hades himself fought on the side of the Greeks. So the sea by the land of Keratea is known as Kakia Thalassa (the Bad Sea) ever since.
Keratea is situated in the hills in the southeastern part of the Attica peninsula, 6 km west of the Aegean Sea coast, at about 200 m elevation. It lies at the northern foot of Mount Paneion. It is 5 km southeast of Kalyvia Thorikou, 12 km northwest of Lavrio and 29 km southeast of Athens city centre. Greek National Road 89 (Gerakas - Koropi - Lavrio - Sounio) passes through Keratea.
|Year||Town population||Municipality population|
The church of St.Athanasius (Kronizes). A wall painting monument (1744) of George Markou the Argus, the great and prolific post-Byzantine ecclesiastic iconographer of the 18th century (".... Il Santo Athanasio, che si trova alla Regione Cronizes di Kerateas dell 'Attica...." Evangelos Andreou http://ketlib.lib.unipi.gr/xmlui/handle/ket/849 )
Keratea hosts the sport teams Keravnos Keratea F.C., one of the most successful East Attica football clubs, and the multi-sport G.S. Kerateas (Gymnastikos Syllogos Kerateas), the women's volleyball team has represent the town in Greek A1 Division for several years.
- "Απογραφή Πληθυσμού - Κατοικιών 2011. ΜΟΝΙΜΟΣ Πληθυσμός" (in Greek). Hellenic Statistical Authority.
- "Population & housing census 2001 (incl. area and average elevation)" (PDF) (in Greek). National Statistical Service of Greece. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2015-09-21.
- Kallikratis law Greece Ministry of Interior (in Greek)
- ".:BiblioNet : Γεώργιος Μάρκου ο Αργείος / Ανδρέου, Ευάγγελος". www.biblionet.gr. Retrieved 2018-11-16.
- Official website (in Greek, link to English version available)
- Antenna on Keratea's hydrogen factory (in Greek)
- "Violence spikes in Greek rebel town" by Elena Becatoros, The Independent, 16 April 2011
- http://www.forkeratea.com Η ηλεκτρονικη αρχειοθηκη δημοσιευσεων που αφορουν την πολη της Κερατεας και το δημο Λαυρεωτικής.