Kerava town centre
Location of Kerava in Finland
|• Town manager||Petri Härkönen|
|• Total||30.79 km2 (11.89 sq mi)|
|• Land||30.62 km2 (11.82 sq mi)|
|• Water||0.17 km2 (0.07 sq mi)|
|Area rank||334th largest in Finland|
|• Rank||31st largest in Finland|
|• Density||1,154.87/km2 (2,991.1/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||94.8% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||17.7%|
|• 15 to 64||70.3%|
|• 65 or older||12%|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
|Municipal tax rate||18.75%|
It is located in the province of Southern Finland and is part of the Uusimaa region. The town has a population of 35,362 (30 June 2015) and covers an area of 30.79 square kilometres (11.89 sq mi) of which 0.17 km2 (0.066 sq mi) is water. The population density is 1,154.87 inhabitants per square kilometre (2,991.1/sq mi). The municipality is unilingually Finnish.
Kerava railway station is an interchange (transfer) station, with connections from the main track from Helsinki to Riihimäki to the tracks to Lahti and Sköldvik/Porvoo. Helsinki Airport is located about 12 km to the southwest of the city.
Results of the Finnish parliamentary election, 2011 in Kerava:
- National Coalition Party 25.1%
- Social Democratic Party 23.4%
- Finns Party 22.1%
- Green League 9.7%
- Left Alliance 6.9%
- Centre Party 6.4%
- Christian Democrats 3.8%
- Swedish People's Party 0.8%
Notable people from Kerava
- William Freyermuth, drummer of Finnish punk bands Masquerade, Virgin in Veil and Secular Plague.
- Stone (band) Finnish heavy metal band
- Hanna-Maria Seppälä (b. 1984), Finnish freestyle swimmer
- Eero Hämeenniemi (b. 1951), Finnish composer
- Marco Hietala was born in Tervo, Finland, but currently lives in Kerava.
- Teppo Felin, Professor at the University of Oxford
- Emppu Vuorinen was born in Kitee, Finland, but currently resides in Kerava.
- Pekka Ansio Heino, singer of Leverage and Brother Firetribe
- Tero Kinnunen currently resides in Kerava.
- Joona Puhakka
- President Juho Kusti Paasikivi
- Olympic medal winner Volmari Iso-Hollo
- Sasha Mäkilä, Finnish orchestra conductor
- Renny Harlin, film director.
- "Area by municipality as of 1 January 2011" (PDF) (in Finnish and Swedish). Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 9 March 2011.
- "VÄESTÖTIETOJÄRJESTELMÄ REKISTERITILANNE 30.06.2015" (in Finnish and Swedish). Population Register Center of Finland. Retrieved 17 July 2015.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
Media related to Kerava at Wikimedia Commons