||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (August 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
10 March 1974 |
|Instruments||Guitar, piano, clarinet|
|Labels||Metro Blue, Blue Note, Capitol Music, Parlophone/WEA|
|Associated acts||Lady and Bird, Barði Jóhannsson|
Keren Ann Zeidel (Hebrew: קרן אן זיידל born 10 March 1974 in Caesarea, Israel), known professionally as Keren Ann, is a singer, songwriter, composer, producer, and engineer based largely in Paris, Tel Aviv, and New York City. She plays guitar, piano, and clarinet. She also engineers and writes choir and musical arrangements.
Keren Ann has released seven solo albums: La Biographie de Luka Philipsen (2000), La Disparition (2002), Not Going Anywhere (2003), Nolita (2005), Keren Ann (2007), 101 (2011) and You're Gonna Get Love (2016). Many of her songs have been covered by other artists, including Henri Salvador, Jane Birkin, Francoise Hardy, Rosa Passos, Jacky Terasson, Emmanuelle Seigner and Benjamin Biolay. Her music has been featured in TV series including Grey's Anatomy, Six Feet Under and Big Love, and in movies including Love Me No More (2008). Her song "Beautiful Day" has been the sound of the "Skyteam" campaign, and in 2008 her song "Lay Your Head Down" was the synch for the international H&M Spring commercial.
Keren Ann and Icelandic musician Barði Jóhannsson form the musical duo "Lady & Bird"; the two released a self-titled studio album in 2003, as well as a live recording of their performance with the Iceland Symphony Orchestra in 2009. The two co-wrote the 2011 opera Red Waters; it was produced by the Opéra de Rouen and directed by Arthur Nauzyciel, and performed in four opera houses around France.
Keren Ann co-wrote Henri Salvador's 2000 album Chambre Avec Vue, and wrote the lyrics for Sophie Hunter's 2005 debut album Isis Project, to music written by Guy Chambers. In 2008, Keren Ann composed, with Tibo Javoy, the entire sound design for the European TV channel Arte. She co-wrote and co-produced, with Doriand, Emmanuelle Seigner's 2010 album Dingue.
She contributed to the soundtrack of the French film Thelma, Louise et Chantal (2010), directed by Benoît Pétré, including cover versions of French songs from the 1960s. She also contributed six songs to the Israeli film Yossi (2012), directed by Eytan Fox, as well as appearing onscreen as herself, performing a music concert.
Though she has lived and recorded mostly in France and New York, Keren Ann retains her Dutch and Israeli citizenship. She is fluent in English, Hebrew and French.
In July 2012, she gave birth to her first child, Nico.
Writings and recordings
- La Biographie de Luka Philipsen EMI (2000–2001)
- La Disparition EMI (2002)
- Not Going Anywhere Capitol Records (2003)
- Nolita at Metro Blue/Blue Note U.S and EMI (2004–2005)
- Keren Ann at Metro Blue/Blue Note U.S and EMI (2006–2007)
- 101 EMI (2011)
- You're Gonna Get Love Universal/Polydor (2016)
Collaborations and scores
- Chambre Avec Vue with Henri Salvador at Source-Virgin France (2000–2001)
- Lady and Bird, with Bardi Johannsson at Labels (2003)
- Isis Project with Guy Chambers and Sophie Hunter at Sleeper Music UK (2004–2005)
- ARTE New Sound with Tibo Javoy
- La Ballade of Lady & Bird with Icelandic Symphonic Orchestra at EMI
- Dingue for Emmanuelle Seigner with Doriand at Sony Music France
- Thelma, Louise et Chantal original score
- Red Waters, opera, with Bardi Johannsson (2011)
- "Soleil Bleu" / Sylvie Vartan @ Sony Music France (2011)
- Grey's Anatomy ("Not Going Anywhere")
- Skyteam Advertisement ("Beautiful Day")
- Six Feet Under ("Jardin D'hiver")
- Big Love ("L'onde Amere")
- The L Word ("Do What I Do") (Lady & Bird)
- TGV Advertisement ("Malmo Lives") (Lady & Bird)
- H&M Advertisement ("Lay Your Head Down")
- Daewoo Motor Sales Iaan Advertisement ("Right Now & Right Here")
- Orange Advertisement ("Lay Your Head Down")
- Galia Advertisement ("Right Now & Right Here")
- Nurse Jackie ("My Name is Trouble")
- Kopiejwski, Faustine (February 15, 2016). "KEREN ANN: UN NOUVEL ALBUM MARQUÉ PAR L'AMOUR, LA NAISSANCE ET LA MORT". Cheek Magazine.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Keren Ann.|