This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Kerobokan Prison is a prison located in Kerobokan, Badung Regency, on the Indonesian island of Bali. The prison opened in 1979 and was built to hold 300 inmates. As of 2017, the Kerokoban Prison contains about 1500 male and female prisoners of various nationalities.
- Schapelle Corby: 20 years; she was granted parole on 8 February 2014 and was released on 10 February 2014.
- Michael Blanc: Life sentence; granted parole and released in January 2014.
- Bali Bombers: Amrozi bin Nurhasyim and Imam Samudra; executed by firing squad for their key roles in the 2002 nightclub bombings in Kuta, Bali
- Bali Nine: Four Australians apprehended at Denpasar Airport with heroin strapped to their bodies, one arrested at Denpasar Airport for allegedly being responsible for collecting the drugs on arrival at the destination and four arrested for related offences at their accommodation in Kuta.
- Lindsay Sandiford: British woman sentenced to death for drug trafficking
Riots and history of violence
Kerobakan Prison has had a long and complicated history of riots and other types of indoor violence, involving prisoners and guards.
In December 2015, two inmates had been killed as a result of a riot between rival gangs; as a result of this, the police transferred more than one hundred inmates to other local prisons.
Allegations had been made that the prison is "overflowed" with drugs and corruption.
- On 19 June 2017, four prisoners from Australia, India, Malaysia, and Bulgaria escaped via a tunnel dug under the wall.
- On 10 December 2017, two prisoners (Christian Beasley and Paul Anthony Hoffman) from the United States escaped, allegedly using a ladder to climb the prison wall. These reports, however, are unconfirmed, as others state the two "had cut a hole in the roof with a hacksaw first." Hoffman was caught "immediately" according to authorities, while Beasley was able to get away. A manhunt was started following his escape.
Books about Kerobokan
- "Hotel Kerobokan: The Shocking Inside Story of Bali's Most Notorious Jail" by Australian journalist Kathryn Bonella.
- "I Survived Kerobokan: A shocking story from behind the bars of Bali's most notorious prison" by New Zealand prisoner Paul Conibeer.
- "U.S. man escapes prison on resort island of Bali". CBS News. December 11, 2017.
- "Lindsay June Sandiford Sentenced To Death By Indonesian Court After Smuggling $2.5 Million Worth Of Cocaine Into Bali". International Business Times. Etienne Uzac. 22 January 2013. Retrieved 23 January 2013.
- "Deadly gang violence inside Bali prison spreads to streets of Denpasar". ABC News. Retrieved 2016-03-31.
- "Ex-inmate of Bali's Kerobokan prison reveals what it's like inside". Mail Online. Retrieved 2016-03-31.
- "Prisoners held in Kerobokan Prison". Foreign Prisoners Support Service. 2005-07-22. Retrieved 2009-01-09.
|This Indonesia-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|