Katona in 2005
|Born||Kerry Jayne Elizabeth Katona
6 September 1980
Warrington, Cheshire, England
|Other names||Kerry McFadden|
The Big Reunion
(m. 2002; div. 2006)
(m. 2007; div. 2011)
(m. 2014; div. 2015)
|Associated acts||Atomic Kitten|
Kerry Jayne Elizabeth Kay (née Katona, formerly McFadden and Croft; born 6 September 1980) is an English singer and media personality best known for her television work, predominantly in light entertainment and reality shows. She is a member of girl group Atomic Kitten.
Katona was the winner of the third series of I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here! in 2004 and runner-up of Celebrity Big Brother 8 in 2011. On 21 November 2012, Katona confirmed she had rejoined Atomic Kitten, replacing Jenny Frost.
|This section requires expansion. (July 2011)|
Born in Warrington, Cheshire, Katona is of part Hungarian ancestry. As a child she was placed in care and brought up by four sets of foster parents and attended eight different schools. She left school at sixteen to become a lap dancer, then joined a dance troupe that toured Europe.
In 1999, 18-year-old Katona rose to fame as a member of Atomic Kitten, an all-female pop trio created by Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark frontman Andy McCluskey. The other original members were Natasha Hamilton and Liz McClarnon. Their debut single, "Right Now", was released in late November 1999 and reached #10 on the UK Singles Chart. Their second single, "See Ya", followed in March 2000 and was an even bigger success, reaching #6. Following this initial success, Atomic Kitten performed an Asian tour and scored their first #1 hit there with "Cradle". The album, Right Now, was first released in Japan on 16 March 2000, and subsequently released in the United Kingdom on 23 October 2000 following the release of two further singles, "I Want Your Love" and "Follow Me", with a slightly modified tracklist. In 2000, the group also recorded a cover version of "The Locomotion" for the movie Thomas and the Magic Railroad.
Right Now was unsuccessful upon its first release, peaking at only #39 in the UK album chart. Initially, there were no plans to focus on the global market and Atomic Kitten's record label, Innocent Records, was even considering dropping them because of their limited success. However, the record company were persuaded to allow the group to release one more single from the album. That single, "Whole Again", became their first #1 hit in the United Kingdom and stayed at the top for 4 consecutive weeks. Due to this success, "Whole Again" was released globally and reached #1 in 18 other countries, including 6 weeks in Germany and New Zealand. The song and video for "Whole Again" originally featured Kerry Katona but she left the group several days before the single's release because she was pregnant. Former Precious singer Jenny Frost replaced Katona in the lineup and the single was re-recorded.
After marrying Brian McFadden and taking his surname, Katona moved into television work, appearing on and presenting a mix of light-entertainment programmes such as Britain's Sexiest..., Loose Women, and elimiDATE. In February 2004, she won the third series of the British reality TV show I'm a Celebrity... Get Me Out of Here!. That July, she and McFadden appeared as judges on the RTÉ talent show You're a Star, which was used to select the Republic of Ireland's Eurovision Song Contest entry. On separating from McFadden in September 2004 she reverted to her maiden name.
Between 2007 and 2009, Katona was the subject of three MTV reality shows: Kerry Katona: Crazy in Love, Kerry Katona: Whole Again, and Kerry Katona: What's the Problem? From a peak audience of 500,000 for Kerry Katona: Crazy in Love, viewership for Kerry Katona: What's the Problem?, a series about Katona's bipolar disorder, slumped to just 19,000 and MTV dropped her in August 2009.
Katona's latest reality show Kerry Coming Clean aired on 24 June 2010. Katona has been banned from using drugs or reuniting with Mark Croft as a part of her contract with management team Can Associates. The documentary covers the tribulations of Katona's separation from Croft and signing with Peter Andre's management company Can Associates. Katona also featured in two series of Kerry Katona: The Next Chapter. Katona was a contestant on Dancing on Ice Series 6 with English ice skater Daniel Whiston. They were eliminated in week 5 in a skate-off against Jeff Brazier and partner Isabelle Gauthier.
Katona was the first housemate to enter the Big Brother House for the 2011 series of Celebrity Big Brother alongside Amy Childs and Tara Reid and others. She was voted the runner-up in the final after Paddy Doherty on 8 September 2011.
In March 2012, Hamilton confirmed that the group were reuniting for a summer tour, including a performance at Diamond Jubilee Concert. Hamilton also stated that the group were in talks to star in their own reality TV show regarding the comeback, following on the success of the 2011 Steps reunion and reality show. Hamilton stated that she hoped former member, Kerry Katona, who quit the trio in 2001 before they found chart success, would join them on stage for a performance. The reunion was later dismissed by all three members due to the fight between Katona and Frost. In June 2012 Katona performed at Birmingham's Gay Pride singing some of her Atomic Kitten hits including Whole Again and Right Now. It was the first time in over 11 years that Katona performed.
However, it was announced on 18 October that the original members of Atomic Kitten would reunite for an ITV2 series along with other pop groups of their era, including B*Witched, Five, Liberty X and 911. Natasha Hamilton tweeted to a fan that the reason Frost was not involved was that she was expecting twins, but she would be welcome to rejoin the group whenever she was ready.
On 20 November, the girls were spotted leaving a recording studio together. The Daily Mail reported that they were seen filming their reformation for The Big Reunion. Katona later confirmed on 21 November in an interview on This Morning that she had rejoined the group and replaced Frost. On 19 December 2012 Katona appeared on The Jeremy Kyle Show talking about her drug issues.
Formerly represented by publicist Max Clifford, with whom she parted by mutual agreement in October 2008, Katona has had endorsement deals with Iceland and Asda supermarkets. On 17 August 2009, Iceland released Katona from her £290,000 contract. The company stated that it was "impossible" to continue featuring Katona in its advertising campaigns after photographs appeared in the News of the World tabloid, allegedly showing her taking cocaine in the bathroom of her home.
Katona has released an autobiography, Kerry Katona: Too Much, Too Young; a self-help book, Survive the Worst and Aim for the Best: How to Get Your Life Back on Track; and three novels, Tough Love, The Footballer's Wife, and Glamour Girl. All of her books have been ghostwritten. Until 2008, she wrote a regular column for OK! Magazine. Then again until December 2012. On 11 May 2016 Katona rejoined the panel of Loose Women since leaving the series in 2004.
In March 2016 Kerry launched an online bingo site called Bingo With Kerry. In May 2016 the site won 'New Site of the Year' at the WhichBingo Awards.
On 31 August 2001, Katona gave birth to Molly Marie McFadden, daughter of former Westlife star Brian McFadden. On 5 January 2002, the couple married at the Church of the Immaculate Conception in Rathfeigh, County Meath, Republic of Ireland, with Katona's former Atomic Kitten colleague Natasha Hamilton as bridesmaid. The couple honeymooned in Mauritius. Their second daughter, Lilly-Sue, was born on 3 February 2003. McFadden filed for divorce from Katona in September 2004 and was separated for two years, until their divorce was finalised in December 2006.
On 14 February 2007 Katona married taxi driver Mark Croft in a private ceremony in Gretna Green with two friends as witnesses. Six days later, on 20 February 2007, the couple's daughter Heidi Elizabeth Croft was delivered by Caesarean section at Macclesfield General Hospital. Six weeks premature, Heidi weighed 5 lb (2.3 kg). Katona announced in late September 2007 that she was expecting her fourth child, her second with Croft. At one point, she feared that she had suffered a miscarriage but further examination found the foetus was still alive, and due in May 2008. On 30 December 2007 she announced that her fourth child would be a boy named Maxwell Mark, after Max Clifford and her husband Mark. Five weeks before the due date, she gave birth to a 5 lb 4 oz (2,400 g) baby on 11 April 2008, at 5.42 pm after 2 days of labour. On 13 March 2009, Katona's financial advisor Frank Cochran read a statement to the media stating that Katona and Croft had decided to divorce. After a reconciliation, Katona and Croft divorced in 2011.
On 12 September 2013, Katona announced her fifth pregnancy. On 4 April 2014, Katona gave birth to her first child with fiancé George Kay, a girl named Dylan-Jorge Rose. Katona and Kay married on 14 September 2014 at Tortworth Court Hotel in Gloucestershire.
Katona ended her 13-month marriage to George in October 2015 following his arrest for alleged assault in their home.
On 15 July 2007, Katona, Croft, and their young daughter Heidi were held hostage at their £1.5 million home in Wilmslow, Cheshire. They reported that three men forcibly entered their home, one of them holding Katona at knife-point while the others forced Croft to show them where valuables were kept. Nobody was physically harmed, but the men left with a blue BMW and other valuables with an estimated total value between £100,000 – £150,000. On 19 July 2007, police found the undamaged car 10 miles away on Reeves Road in Chorlton-cum-Hardy, Manchester. That same day, Katona was admitted to The Priory hospital suffering from bipolar disorder. Her publicist, Max Clifford, claimed she had suffered from the disorder for some time, but the trauma had aggravated her symptoms.
On 21 August 2008, Katona was declared bankrupt at the High Court in London after failing to pay the final £82,000 of a £417,000 tax bill. After losing her Iceland contract, her magazine column, and her MTV shows, Katona suffered further financial setbacks. In December 2009, she received a repossession order on her £1.5 million home, having not paid her mortgage in months.
On 27 August 2009, it was reported that Katona was under investigation by Cheshire Police after allegations she had assaulted her accountant, and for criminal damage and a public order offence. After being arrested and questioned, she was released without being charged.
On 2 July 2013, Katona filed for bankruptcy at Wigan County Court.
On 31 July 2014, it was reported Katona's then-fiancé George Kay was arrested by Thames Valley Police after running down the road near their home, shouting that someone was about to kill him. Kay was then detained under the Mental Health Act.
|2001||Atomic Kitten: So Far So Good||Archive Footage|
|2003–04, 2016||Loose Women||Presenter|
|2004||I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here!||Contestant, Winner|
|2005||My Fair Kerry||Herself|
|2007||Kerry Katoma: Crazy In Love||MTV Reality Series|
|Kerry Katona: Whole Again||MTV Reality Series|
|2009||Kerry Katona: What's The Problem?||MTV Reality Series|
|2010||Kerry Katona: Coming Clean||ITV2 Reality Series|
|2010||Kerry Katona: The Next Chapter||ITV2 Reality Series|
|2011||Dancing On Ice||Contestant|
|2011||Celebrity Big Brother||Contestant, Runner Up|
|2012||The Big Reunion||Herself|
- Right Now (2001)
- Greatest Hits (2004)
- The Collection (2005)
- Essential (2007)
- The Essential Collection (2012)
- Whole Again - The Best of Atomic Kitten (2015)
Emily Herbert's biography of Katona, Kerry: Story of a Survivor, appeared in September 2005.
|“||... I put my mum's life story in the book as well ... so people could understand my mum ... my mum was involved in the book heavily ... I asked my mum if I could do the book first ...||”|
In October 2007, Katona released her first novel. Tough Love (produced with the aid of a ghost-writer) follows the story of the Crompton family and was published by Ebury Press. A second ghostwritten novel, The Footballer's Wife, was published in 2008.
- Katona, Kerry (5 October 2006). Too Much, Too Young: My Story of Love, Survival and Celebrity. Ebury Press. ISBN 978-0-09-191390-8.
- Katona, Kerry (1 March 2007). Survive the Worst and Aim for the Best. Ebury Press. ISBN 978-0-09-191754-8.
- Katona, Kerry (18 October 2007). Tough Love. Ebury Press. ISBN 978-0-09-192319-8.
- Katona, Kerry (3 April 2008). The Footballer's Wife. Ebury Press. ISBN 978-0-09-192324-2.
Katona is also well known for her glamour modelling. She first posed for Page 3 at the age of 17. Katona has also posed for the popular men's publication Zoo She has also did glamour modelling for a host of other high-profile publications appearing in the likes of New!, Now Magazine. and Star.
Barely two months after having £15,000 worth of plastic surgery, which included having a breast reduction as she had her 32GG breasts reduced to an E cup in August 2008, Katona posed for Zoo Magazine in October 2008.
- [dead link]
- Atomic Kitten recording comeback with Kerry Katona, not Jenny Frost? – Music News – Digital Spy
- Telegraph.co.uk "Ghost stories". 3 September 2006, p. 6
- Damien Fletcher (21 July 2007). "Kerry's Gold". Daily Mirror. UK. Archived from the original on 23 August 2007. Retrieved 21 July 2007.
- "UK Charts > Atomic Kitten". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 27 July 2010.
- BBC News: Atomic Kitten's perfect year. Retrieved 29 July 2006
- "Chartverfolgung / Atomic Kitten / Single" (in German). musicline.de PhonoNet. Retrieved 29 July 2010.
- BBC News: McFadden and Katona tie knot. Retrieved 30 July 2006
- "Showbands" IMDB. Retrieved 17 May 2009
- Lisa McGarry. "Kerry Katona: ‘I failed Celebrity Big Brother psychological tests’". unrealitytv.co.uk.
- Johnson, Chris (26 March 2010). "Kerry Katona fighting fit as she starts filming new reality show with a fat-busting gym session". Daily Mail (London).
- "Atomic Kitten reunion confirmed by Natasha Hamilton – Music News". Digital Spy. 4 March 2012. Retrieved 1 May 2012.
- "ITVS to reform pop bands for The Big Reunion". Broadcast. 18 October 2012. Retrieved 18 October 2012.
- The 90s are back: reunions from Atomic Kitten, 5ive, and more | Gigwise
- "Katona and PR guru Clifford split". BBC News. 29 October 2008. Retrieved 29 October 2008.
- Brook, Stephen (18 August 2009). "Kerry Katona dropped by Iceland". The Guardian (London). Retrieved 23 January 2010.
- The Shannon Bradshaw Trust
- "McFadden and Katona tie knot". BBC News. 5 January 2002. Retrieved 28 September 2008.
- Guy Patrick (15 February 2007). "Gretna wedding for ex-Kitten". The Sun. Retrieved 15 March 2007.
- "Kerry Katona has baby girl early". BBC. 21 February 2007. Retrieved 14 March 2007.
- Guy Patrick (25 September 2007). "Pregnant Kerry in fear for baby". The Sun. UK. Retrieved 25 September 2007.
- Guy Patrick (27 September 2007). "Kerry 'hasn't lost her baby'". The Sun. Retrieved 27 September 2007.
- "Kerry Katona 'isolated after husband Mark Croft confiscates mobile phone'". Daily Mail (London). 13 March 2009. Retrieved 9 December 2009.
- Beth Hardie. "Kerry Katona in tears as spokesman officially confirms divorce". daily mirror. Retrieved 9 December 2009.
- "Tears as Kerry Katona announces her marriage is over". Daily Record. Scotland. Retrieved 9 December 2009.
- "Kerry Katona announces she is expecting her fifth child". 12 September 2013. Retrieved 12 September 2013.
- "Third time's a charm! Kerry Katona is walked down the aisle by her only son Max as she weds ex rugby player George Kay". 15 September 2014.
- "'It's like somebody has died': Kerry Katona reveals her agony over split from husband George Kay as she 'vows to never remarry'". 17 November 2015. Retrieved 17 April 2015.
- Katona held captive by armed gang. BBC News. Retrieved 16 July 2007.
- "Kerry Katona Held By Armed Raiders". Sky News. 16 July 2007. Retrieved 21 July 2007.
- "Katona 'distraught' after armed robbery". ITV News. Retrieved 21 July 2007.
- "Katona checks into Priory clinic". BBC. 19 July 2007. Retrieved 21 July 2007.
- "Ex-Kitten Katona is made bankrupt". 21 August 2008. Retrieved 5 January 2010.
- "KATONA". The London Gazette. 28 August 2008.
- "Daily Star – Kerry Katona Could Have House Repossessed". 21 December 2009. Retrieved 23 January 2010.
- Lizzie Smith (28 August 2009). "Kerry Katona investigated by police over allegations of assault". Daily Mail (London). Retrieved 9 December 2009.
- "No charges for Kerry Katona over accountant attack". Accountancy Age. 12 October 2009.
- "Katona files for bankruptcy again". London. 2 July 2013.
- Kerry Katona's fiance George Kay 'detained under the Mental Health Act' after police restrained him at the pair's home Daily Mail, 31 July 2014. Retrieved 1 August 2014.
- BBC Radio 4, Woman's hour, Thursday 12 October 2006, audio link(Retrieved 15 October 2006)
- Morag Preston (22 March 2008). "Kerry Katona and friends in the Return of the Bonkbuster". The Times. UK. Retrieved 11 January 2011.
- "Katona wants to be glamour model again?". Digital Spy. 3 April 2008. Retrieved 16 July 2015.
- "Kerry Katona unveils her new £15,000 body in racy men's mag photoshoot". Daily Mail. 28 October 2008. Retrieved 16 July 2015.
- "SEE PICS Kerry Katona shows off new boobs". Now Magazine. 21 October 2008. Retrieved 16 July 2015.
- "Kerry Katona admits to relationship strain". New!. 16 July 2013.
- "Kerry Katona Says Cancelling Wedding To George Kay Following Bankruptcy Has 'Put A Strain On Us'". New!. 16 July 2013.
- "'I got tired of tucking my extra skin in my knickers': Kerry Katona reveals she's still unhappy with her body after a tummy tuck". Daily Mail. 9 July 2012. Retrieved 17 July 2015.
- "Kerry Katona Reveals She's Made 'Biggest Mistake' By Splitting With Steve Alce". Huffington Post. 9 July 2012. Retrieved 17 July 2015.
- "'I've done enough coke to last a lifetime': Kerry Katona slams rumours she has turned to drugs after splitting from". Daily Mail. 5 July 2011. Retrieved 16 July 2015.
- "Kerry Katona: 'I'd love to play Coronation Street psycho'". Digital Spy. 5 July 2011. Retrieved 16 July 2015.
- Kerry Katona This Morning Interview
- Kerry Katona at the Internet Movie Database
- Kerry Katona's biography at Random House
- Kerry Katona's biography at Biogs
|I'm a Celebrity... Get Me out of Here!