Kerry William Purcell
|This article is being considered for deletion in accordance with Wikipedia's deletion policy.
Please share your thoughts on the matter at this article's entry on the Articles for deletion page.
Feel free to edit the article, but the article must not be blanked, and this notice must not be removed, until the discussion is closed. For more information, particularly on merging or moving the article during the discussion, read the guide to deletion.
Kerry William Purcell is an English author on visual culture and cultural theory.
Born in Cleethorpes, Purcell is a writer, theorist and historian. His first book on the celebrated art director and photographer Alexey Brodovitch was published by Phaidon Press in 2002. This has been followed by his concise biography on the renowned photographer Weegee (Phaidon, London, 2004), his comprehensive study of the Swiss graphic designer Josef Müller-Brockmann (Phaidon, London, 2006). He is also co-editor Phaidon Archive of Graphic Design (2012). His writing has been published in several anthologies. His research is increasingly focused on the philosophy of history and specifically the writings of French philosopher Alain Badiou.
The Last Outpost
Purcell produces the podcast series The Last Outpost. The podcast is described as 'Interviews from the margins. A podcast that speaks to those who explore the oft ignored, the historically forgotten, the beautiful that is hidden in plain sight, or the just plain exceptional.' Recent interviewees include the designer Wim Crouwel, the sound artist Felicity Ford, and the creator of Scarfolk, Richard Littler.
Grunts & Grapples
Purcell is the curator of the exhibition on the Golden Age of British Wrestling 'Grunts & Grapples'  .
Purcell is Senior Lecturer in Design History at The University of Hertfordshire.
- "Alexey Brodovitch", 2002, Phaidon Press. (ISBN 978-0714841632)
- "Weegee" (Phaidon, London, 2004) (ISBN 978-0714842240)
- "Josef Müller-Brockmann", 2007, Phaidon Press. (ISBN 978-0714843490)
- "In The Shadow of the Mountains" 2008 (Phaidon Press, 2007) (ISBN 978-0714846408)
- "Alexey Brodovitch - Ballet. Books on Books 11" (Errata, 2011) (ISBN 1935004220)
- "Phaidon Graphic Archive" 2012, Phaidon Press
Selected book contributions
- Looking at Class: Film, Television and the Working Class in Britain, edited by Sheila Rowbotham and Huw Benyon, Rivers Oram Press. (ISBN 978-1854891211)
- The Education of a Photographer, edited by Steven Heller and Charles Traub, Allworth Press. (ISBN 978-1581154504)
- I Heart Design: Remarkable Graphic Design Selected by Designers, Illustrators, and Critics. Edited by Steven Heller, Rockport Publishers Inc. (ISBN 978-1592536825)
Selected magazine articles
- Alexey Brodovitch, Baseline 31, edited by Mike Daines and Hans Deiter Reichert, Bradbourne Publishing, 2000.
- Ballet, Baseline 40, edited by Mike Daines and Hans Deiter Reichert, Bradbourne Publishing, 2003.
- Photographie, Baseline 41, edited by Mike Daines and Hans Deiter Reichert, Bradbourne Publishing, 2003.
- The Crafty Linotyper, Eye, No. 55, Vol. 14, edited by Rick Poynor, Haymarket, Spring 2005.
- Camera, Baseline 46, edited by Mike Daines and Hans Deiter Reichert, Bradbourne Publishing, 2005.
- Westvaco: Inspirations for Printers, Baseline 47, edited by Mike Daines and Hans Deiter Reichert, Bradbourne Publishing, 2005.
- Herbert Matter: The Art of Photo-Graphics, Baseline 49, edited by Mike Daines and Hans Deiter Reichert, Bradbourne Publishing, 2006.
- Alphabet and Image, Baseline 50, edited by Mike Daines and Hans Deiter Reichert, Bradbourne Publishing, 2006.
- The Thackeray Alphabet, Baseline 51, edited by Mike Daines and Hans Deiter Reichert, Bradbourne Publishing, 2007.
- British Football Programmes (Published in Baseline 53, 2007)
- The Art of Psychographics, Baseline 56, Edited by Hans Deiter Reichert, Bradbourne Publishing, 2008
- Martine Klimas, Grafik Magazine, No.162, 2008)
- "Olympic Pictograms, "Grafik Magazine" 178, 2009
- "Life Class", Grafik Magazine, No. 175, 2009
- "Project Projects" Grafik Magazine, No.182, 2010)
- "Massimo Vignelli", Grafik Magazine, No.181, 2010
- "Frozen Fire", Eye Magazine, No.77, 2010
- "Great Magazine", "Baseline Magazine", No.59, 2011
- "Wim Crouwel", Eye Magazine, No. 79, 2011