Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Anurag Singh|
Arko Pravo Mukherjee
|Edited by||Manish More|
|Distributed by||Zee Studios|
|Budget||₹80 crore |
|Box office||₹21.50 crore|
Kesari (transl. Saffron) is a 2019 Indian Hindi-language action-war film written and directed by Anurag Singh. It was jointly produced by Karan Johar, Aruna Bhatia, Hiroo Yash Johar, Apoorva Mehta and Sunir Khetarpal under the banners of Dharma Productions, Cape of Good Films, Azure Entertainment and Zee Studios. The film stars Akshay Kumar with Parineeti Chopra, Mir Sarwar, Vansh Bhardwaj, Jaspreet Singh, Vivek Saini and Vikram Kochhar in supporting roles. It follows the events leading to the Battle of Saragarhi, a military combat between 21 soldiers of the Sikh Regiment of the British Army and 6,000–10,000[a] Afridi and Orakzai mountain tribesmen from Afghanistan in 1897.
Initially planned as a production collaboration between Salman Khan and Johar with Kumar starring in the lead role, Kesari was announced in October 2017, with Kumar and Johar reprising their responsibilities; Khan later quit the project. Chopra was cast as the deceased wife of Kumar's character. Principal photography for the film began in January 2018 and concluded in December. The soundtrack was composed by Tanishk Bagchi, Arko Pravo Mukherjee, Chirantan Bhatt, Jasbir Jassi, Gurmoh and Jasleen Royal with lyrics written by Kumaar, Manoj Muntashir, Kunwar Juneja and Bagchi. Produced on a budget of ₹80 crore (US$11 million), the film was distributed internationally by Zee Studios.
Kesari was released in India during the Holi festival, on 21 March 2019. The film received positive reviews from critics; it had a good start at the box office, while the opening day morning collection was affected by Holi-related celebrations.
Kesari follows the events leading to the Battle of Saragarhi, a military combat between 21 soldiers of the Sikh Regiment of the British Army and 6,000–10,000[a] Afridi and Orakzai mountain tribesmen from Afghanistan in 1897.
- Akshay Kumar as Havildar Ishar Singh
- Parineeti Chopra as Jeevani Kaur
- Jaspreet Singh as Taklu
- Vivek Saini as Sipahi Jiwan Singh
- Vikram Kochhar as Gulab Singh
- Toranj Kayvon as Gulwarien
- Suvinder Vicky as Naik Lal Singh
- Vansh Bharadwaj as Lance Naik Chanda Singh
- Sumeet Singh Basra as Gurmukh Singh
- Ajit Singh Mahela as Nand Singh
- Sandeep Nahar as Buta Singh
- Harvinder Singh as Daya Singh
- Rakesh Sharma as Bhola Singh
- Adhrit Sharma as Uttam Singh
- Harbhagwan Singh as Bhaghwan Singh
- Rajdeep Singh Dhaliwal as Ram Singh
- Gurpreet Toti as Saheb Singh
- Harry Brar as Sunder Singh
- Pali Sanghu as Narayan Singh
- Vikram Singh Chauhan as Hira Singh
- Gugneet Singh as Jiwan Singh
- Mir Sarwar as Khan Masud
- Ashwath Bhatt as Gul Badshah Khan
- Ram Awana as Gulwarien Beheader
In 2017, Salman Khan and Karan Johar announced that they would be producing a film together based on the Battle of Saragarhi starring Akshay Kumar in the lead role. Media reports later speculated Khan left the project in favour of a similarly themed film starring Ajay Devgn, and in October that year, Johar and Kumar announced a statement about their collaboration on the film; that Khan had quit the film, and that it would be titled Kesari. Parineeti Chopra was confirmed for a minor role as the deceased wife of Kumar's character.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||18 March 2019 |
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Label||Zee Music Company|
|Tanishk Bagchi chronology|
|Arko Pravo Mukherjee chronology|
|Jasleen Royal chronology|
|Chirantan Bhatt chronology|
The music of the film is composed by Tanishk Bagchi, Arko Pravo Mukherjee, Chirantan Bhatt, Jasbir Jassi, Gurmoh and Jasleen Royal with lyrics written by Kumaar, Manoj Muntashir, Kunwar Juneja and Tanishk Bagchi.
|1.||"Ek Onkaar"||Guru Nanak Dev Ji||Jasbir Jassi||Jasbir Jassi||1:02|
|2.||"Ve Maahi"||Tanishk Bagchi||Tanishk Bagchi||Arijit Singh, Asees Kaur||3:44|
|3.||"Teri Mitti"||Manoj Muntashir||Arko||B Praak||5:14|
|4.||"Sanu Kehndi"||Kumaar||Tanishk Bagchi||Romy, Brijesh Shandilya||2:48|
|5.||"Ajj Singh Garjega"||Kunwar Juneja||Chirantan Bhatt||Jazzy B||4:02|
|6.||"Deh Shiva" (Male)||Guru Gobind Singh Ji||Gurmoh||Sukhwinder Singh||3:11|
|7.||"Deh Shiva" (Female)||Guru Gobind Singh Ji||Jasleen Royal||Jasleen Royal||2:36|
Marketing and release
Kumar released Kesari's first look poster on 12 September 2018, through Twitter. Another poster was released on India's Republic Day, 26 January 2019. The film's theatrical poster was released on 11 February 2019.
The following day, Dharma Productions released three videos titled "Glimpses of Kesari" on their YouTube channel, detailing the film's production. A second theatrical release poster for Kesari was released on 20 February 2019. The official trailer of the film was released on Dharma Productions' YouTube channel the next day.
The first song of the film "Sanu Kehndi" was released on 27th of February 2019,the second one "Teri Mitti" was released on 15th of March 2019 and the full album was released on 18th of March 2019.
Rachit Gupta of The Times of India gave Kesari four stars out of five, praising its "technical brilliance, intricate writing and thundering performances". Taran Adarsh gave it four stars and felt it "[c]hronicles a significant chapter from history brilliantly... Nationalism, patriotism, heroism, scale and soul - Kesari has it all". Writing for Times Now, Gaurang Chauhan rated the film three and a half stars out of five and opined, "Kesari is not the best patriotic film or an action film to come out of Bollywood, but it surely is worth the time and money". Bollywood Hungama rated it four stars out of five, remarking, "On the whole, Kesari is a brave and inspirational tale of courage, with patriotism and the dramatic battle sequences being the USP of the film".
- "Kesari 2019 | British Board of Film Classification". Bbfc.co.uk. 20 March 2019.
- "Akshay Kumar's Kesari movie: Check out trailer, box office prediction, songs, cast". Business Today. 18 March 2019.
- "Kesari - Box Office Collection till Now - Bollywood Hungama". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 22 March 2019.
- "Indian Cinema Film Spotlight". AMC Theatres.
- "Parineeti Chopra on Kesari: Didn't think about my screen time, it is a boys film". India Today.
- "Akshay Kumar, Karan Johar 'proudly present' new film Kesari, based on Battle of Saragarhi". Retrieved 11 October 2017.
- Rinaldo D. D'Ami (1968). World Uniforms in Colour. Patrick Stephens. p. 80.
...Saragarhi, whose garrison of twenty men fought till death against a horde of six thousand Orakzais mountain tribesmen.
- The Tribune Online Edition (2007-04-15). "Of blood red in olive green". The Tribune. Retrieved 2007-11-01.
- "Kesari box office collection day 1: Akshay Kumar starrer hit by Holi, expected to earn this much: Kesari box office collection". Zee Business. 21 March 2019. Retrieved 21 March 2019.
- "Kesari Has A Good Start". Box Office India. 21 March 2019. Retrieved 21 March 2019.
- "Karan Johar and Akshay Kumar's Battle of Saragarhi film to be titled Kesari". Retrieved 11 October 2017.
- "Parineeti Chopra on Kesari: We joke that I did the film just for the romantic song with Akshay Kumar". https://www.hindustantimes.com/. 14 March 2019. External link in
- Thakur, Charu (5 January 2018). "Kesari first look: Akshay Kumar begins shooting for one 'epic' film". India Today. Retrieved 6 January 2018.
- "As Akshay Kumar wraps Kesari, Parineeti Chopra shares her first look from the war film – see photos | Bollywood News". www.timesnownews.com. Retrieved 2018-12-18.
- "Kesari - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack". Jio Saavn.
- "Kesari First Poster Released: Akshay Kumar Pays Tribute To Martyrs Of Saragarhi". Headlines Today. Retrieved 12 September 2018.
- Taran Adarsh [@taran_adarsh] (11 February 2019). "Unraveling the pages of history... First glimpse of #Kesari... 21 March 2019 release... #GlimpsesOfKesari t.co/HiksYMvKLc" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Glimpses of Kesari - Part 1| Akshay Kumar |Parineeti Chopra". Dharma Productions on YouTube.
- "Glimpses of Kesari - Part 2|Akshay Kumar|Parineeti Chopra|Anurag Singh". Dharma Productions on YouTube.
- Taran Adarsh [@taran_adarsh] (20 February 2019). "Trailer out tomorrow... New poster of #Kesari... Stars Akshay Kumar and Parineeti Chopra... Directed by Anurag Singh... 21 March 2019 release. #KesariTrailerTomorrow t.co/l1MkoAxzzK" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Kesari - Official Trailer| Akshay Kumar|Parineeti Chopra|Anurag Singh|21st March". Dharma Productions on YouTube.
- "KESARI Official Trailer | Releasing | Akshay Kumar | Parineeti Chopra - Bollywood Hungama". Bollywood Hungama. Feb 21, 2019. Retrieved 2019-02-21.
- Taran Adarsh [@taran_adarsh] (21 March 2019). "#Kesari screen count... India: 3600 Overseas: 600 Worldwide total: 4200 screens" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Kesari Review by TOI". Times of India. 2019-03-20. Retrieved 2019-03-20.
- Taran Adarsh [@taran_adarsh] (20 March 2019). "#OneWordReview… #Kesari: OUTSTANDING! Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Chronicles a significant chapter from history brilliantly... Nationalism, patriotism, heroism, scale and soul - #Kesari has it all... Akshay's career-best act... Anurag Singh's direction terrific... Don't miss! #KesariReview t.co/hrNtAgObno" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Chauhan, Gaurang (20 March 2019). "Kesari Movie Review: Akshay Kumar's action avatar is the highlight of this patriotic war drama". Times Now News. Retrieved 21 March 2019.
- "Kesari Movie Review: Kesari". Bollywood Hungama. 20 March 2019. Retrieved 21 March 2019.
|This article about a Hindi film of the 2010s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|