Keshia Knight Pulliam
|Keshia Knight Pulliam|
April 9, 1979|
Newark, New Jersey, U.S.
|Residence||Atlanta, Georgia, U.S.|
|Known for||Rudy Huxtable in The Cosby Show|
(m. 2016; div. 2018)
Keshia Knight Pulliam (born April 9, 1979) is an American actress. She is known for her childhood role as Rudy Huxtable, the youngest child of Cliff and Clair Huxtable at just the age of 5 to 13, on the NBC sitcom The Cosby Show (1984–92) and as Miranda Lucas-Payne on the TBS comedy-drama Tyler Perry's House of Payne (2007–12).
In 1986, Knight Pulliam became the youngest actress to be nominated for an Emmy Award, receiving a nomination at age six for Outstanding Supporting Actress in A Comedy Series. She made her professional debut at nine months old, in a national print advertisement for Johnson & Johnson baby products. She continued working, appearing in television commercials and TV shows, and making her feature-film debut in The Last Dragon (1985). At age three, she played Keshia on Sesame Street. She also appeared in the movies "Polly" and its sequel "Polly Comin' Home" with Phylicia Rashad. She is ranked at No. 19 in VH1's list of the "100 Greatest Kid Stars".
Knight Pulliam won a celebrity version of Fear Factor in September 2002. She also won a celebrity version of The Weakest Link, and participated in Celebrity Mole 2: Yucatan. In 2004, she appeared in Chingy's music video for "One Call Away". In 2005, she played Darnelle in Beauty Shop with Queen Latifah. Knight Pulliam performed in Donald Gray's play The Man of Her Dreams in the fall of 2006 in St. Louis. In 2008, she joined the cast of Tyler Perry's House of Payne as Miranda, the new wife of Calvin Payne. The role earned her the 2009 and 2010 NAACP Image Awards for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series. In 2009, she played Candace "Candy" Washington in the film Madea Goes to Jail. Knight Pulliam appeared in Tank's 2010 music video for his cover of "I Can't Make You Love Me", playing his love interest.
In 2011, commenting on the fact that only white actors had won Golden Globe Awards that year, she said: "I think that there is definitely work to be done. It can always be more diverse. We live in a very multicultural and global society. More needs to be done to increase the representation of all people and really show the world for what it is. It’s not just one color."
In 2013, she was a contestant on the ABC celebrity diving show Splash. She was first to be eliminated. In 2015, Knight Pulliam was a contestant on the NBC show The Celebrity Apprentice Season 7 and was the first contestant eliminated after being the losing project manager for her team. In 2018, Knight Pulliam was a HouseGuest on the CBS show Celebrity Big Brother where she was the second person evicted out of the house, on Day 13.
Keshia Knight Pulliam was born in Newark, New Jersey, the daughter of Denise and James Knight Pulliam, Sr., a manager. She has two brothers, James Knight Pulliam II and Mshon Knight Pulliam. She received a bachelor of arts degree in sociology from Spelman College in 2001. She is a member of the Eta Kappa Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Incorporated.
On New Year's Eve 2015, Knight Pulliam became engaged to retired National Football League player Edgerton Hartwell. They were married the next day, January 1 2016, in Knight Pulliam's Atlanta home. Hartwell filed for divorce on July 25, 2016. In January 2017, Knight Pulliam gave birth to a daughter. The divorce was finalized in April 2018.
|1985||The Last Dragon||Sophia / Natasha Green|
|2005||The Gospel||Maya Walker|
|2008||Cuttin Da Mustard||Wendy|
|2009||Madea Goes to Jail||Candace Washington|
|1984–92||The Cosby Show||Rudy Huxtable||Main role; 177 episodes|
|1985||Back to Next Saturday||Rudy Huxtable||Movie|
|1987||The Little Match Girl||Molly||Movie|
|1987–88||A Different World||Rudy Huxtable||3 episodes|
|1989||A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court||Karen||Movie|
|1990||Polly: Comin' Home!||Polly||Movie|
|1990||The Earth Day Special||Rudy Huxtable|
|1997||Cosby||Guitarist||Episode: "The Return of Charlites"|
|2002||Fear Factor||Herself||Reality series; one episode|
|2002||What About Your Friends: Weekend Getaway||Temple||Movie|
|2004||Celebrity Mole: Yucatán||Herself||Reality series; eliminated in Episode 4|
|2004||Christmas at Water's Edge||Leila Turner||Movie|
|2007–12||Tyler Perry's House of Payne||Miranda Lucas Payne||Main role; 114 episodes|
|2010||Psych||Stranjay||Episode: "The Polarizing Express"|
|2012||Mr. Box Office||Vanessa Owens||Episode: "Pilot"|
|2013||Splash||Herself||Reality series; eliminated in Episode 1|
|2013||Guys with Kids||Bridget||Episode: "Divorce Party"|
|2013||The Love Letter||Parker||Movie|
|2015||The Celebrity Apprentice Season 7||Herself||Reality series; eliminated in Episode 1|
|2015||Will to Love||Rachel Paris||Movie|
|2016||Here We Go Again||Pregnant lady|
|2018||Celebrity Big Brother||Herself||HouseGuest; 10th Place|
Awards and nominations
- 1986: Emmy Awards Outstanding Supporting Actress in A Comedy Series (nominated) The Cosby Show
- 2009: NAACP Image Awards Best Supporting Actress in the Comedy Series (won) Tyler Perry's House of Payne
- 2010: NAACP Image Awards Best Supporting Actress in the Comedy Series (won) Tyler Perry's House of Payne
- 2011: NAACP Image Awards Best Supporting Actress in the Comedy Series (nominated) Tyler Perry's House of Payne
- 2012: NAACP Image Awards Best Supporting Actress in the Comedy Series (won) Tyler Perry's House of Payne
- "Keshia Knight Pulliam Biography (1979-)". Filmreference.com. Retrieved March 20, 2011.
- "Keshia Knight Pulliam". TVGuide.com. Retrieved January 5, 2015.
- "About Keshia". Keshia Knight Pulliam (official site). Retrieved January 5, 2015.
- "Real Talk with Jeanne Roberts EP 107 Segment 1, Keshia Knight Pulliam". YouTube. Retrieved March 20, 2011.
- Keshia Knight Pulliam: The Madea Goes to Jail Interview with Kam Williams Kam Williams.com
- Shaw, A.R. (February 16, 2011). "The Evolution of Keshia Knight Pulliam". Rollingout.com. Archived from the original on February 21, 2011. Retrieved February 24, 2011.
- Maher, Natalie (February 13, 2018). "Get to Know the 'Celebrity Big Brother' Cast: Mark McGrath, Omarosa & More". www.billboard.com. Retrieved February 23, 2018.
- Puente, Maria (2016-01-01). "Ex-'Cosby' kid Keshia Knight Pulliam is engaged". USA Today. Retrieved 2018-04-12.
- Lesley Messer (January 1, 2016). "Keshia Knight Pulliam Is Engaged". ABC News. Retrieved January 23, 2016.
- Joi-Marie McKenzie (January 22, 2016). "Keisha Knight Pulliam Reveals She Wed Ed Hartwell on New Years". ABC News. Retrieved January 23, 2016.
- Martin, Annie. "Keshia Knight Pulliam headed for divorce after pregnancy news: The actress and Ed Hartwell married in January after four months of dating". United Press International. July 26, 2016.
- Jen Juneau (January 23, 2017). "Keisha Knight Pulliam Welcomes Daughter Ella Grace". MSN News. Retrieved January 23, 2017.
- Ho, Rodney (April 24, 2018). "Keshia Knight Pulliam Finalizes Divorce with Ed Hartwell, Gets Primary Custody". WSB Radio. Retrieved April 25, 2018.