Ahrens as a member of the Class-A Lansing Lugnuts in 2008
|Lancaster Barnstormers – No. 12|
April 26, 1989 |
Kevin Ahrens (born April 26, 1989) is an American third baseman for the Lancaster Barnstormers of the Atlantic League of Professional Baseball. He was drafted by the Toronto Blue Jays in the first round of the 2007 Major League Baseball Draft, and has also been a member of the Atlanta Braves organization.
Ahrens attended Memorial High School in Hedwig Village, Texas. At the 2006 World Wood Bat Championships, he led the Houston Heat with game-winning hits in the quarter- and semifinals. He was named player of the year in the Greater Houston area and was twice selected all-state and three times all-district. Prior to the 2007 draft, he signed to play baseball with Texas A&M University. Sports Illustrated projected Ahrens as a top-20 prospect for the 2007 draft.
Ahrens was drafted by the Toronto Blue Jays 16th overall in the draft. He decided to forgo college and enter the Blue Jays organization. He was given a $1.44 million US signing bonus, the 10th-highest for a Blue Jay prospect, which included $60,000 for schooling to offset his not going to Texas A&M University. He made his professional debut that season with the Gulf Coast Blue Jays. He played in the Blue Jays organization until 2013 without reaching the majors. Prior to the 2014 season he signed with the Atlanta Braves.
- "Memorial HS grad Kevin Ahrens hits first homer of the year for Dunedin". Houston Chronicle. June 4, 2012. Retrieved April 7, 2014.
- Jays make power a priority, By Mark Zwolinski, Toronto Star, June 8, 2007
- Khan Jr., Sam."It's child's play for Ahrens". Accessed June 24, 2007.
- Kevin Ahrens, infielder, USA Today, June 28, 2007
- Mustang baseball star looks forward to Aggie future
- Top 20 MLB Amateur Draft Prospects, By Bryan Smith, Special to SI.com, June 7, 2007
- Ahrens destined to prove skeptics wrong
- Jays bust out chequebook: Top pick Kevin Ahrens signs for $1.44-million, By Bob Elliott, Sun Media, June 22, 2007
- Wilson, Burt (February 12, 2016). "Barnstormers sign former first-round pick Kevin Ahrens". lancasteronline.com. Retrieved March 3, 2016.