Kevin Anderson (politician)
|Member of the New South Wales Parliament
26 March 2011
|Preceded by||Peter Draper|
|Majority||7.8 points (2011)|
|Political party||The Nationals|
|Occupation||Journalist and marketing consultant|
Early years and background
Anderson moved to Tamworth, aged 30 years. He spent eleven years as a journalist and news reader with the local Prime Television station. He left Prime in 2004 to work with Hunter New England Area Health Service as a communications and business development manager. He stood unsuccessfully for the Nationals in Tamworth at the 2007 election.
Anderson was a director of Centreboard Media, a local public relations and marketing consultancy with experience in events such as the Tamworth Country Music Festival. Anderson has been active in community groups in the region, including Westpac Rescue Helicopter, the Salvation Army, the St Nicholas School Board, and Ronald McDonald House in Tamworth. In his spare time Anderson plays rhythm guitar and sings in a local band called Splashpool.
In a first initiative for the Nationals, Anderson was endorsed following a plebiscite where 4,293 local people voted from a pre-selected field of four candidates. The vote was open to members of the Nationals and the general community, voting at eight polling stations in the electorate, open to anyone on the NSW electoral roll. Anderson defeated James Treloar, the local mayor, on preferences.
At the March 2011 elections, Anderson was elected Member for Tamworth and received a swing of 14.7 points, defeating the sitting independent Peter Draper, winning 57.8 per cent of the vote on a two-party-preferred basis.
- Ellery, David (28 June 2010). "Kevin to have another crack in state election". Northern Daily Leader. Retrieved 3 April 2011.
- "Kevin Anderson – Candidate for Tamworth". The Nationals team. National Party of Australia. 2010. Retrieved 3 April 2011.
- "About us". Centreboard Media. Kevin Anderson. 2011. Retrieved 3 April 2011.
- Maley, Paul (28 June 2010). "Nationals open Tamworth preselection vote to public". The Australian. Retrieved 3 April 2011.
- "Stoner welcomes Kevin Anderson as Tamworth candidate after historic community preselection". Media Release – Andrew Stoner MP. National Party of Australia. 27 June 2010. Retrieved 3 April 2011.
- Fuller, Kelly (27 June 2010). "Anderson gets the nod again". ABC New England North West local news. Australian Broadcasting Corporation. Retrieved 3 April 2011.
- Green, Antony (1 April 2011). "Orange". NSW Votes 2011. Australian Broadcasting Corporation. Retrieved 3 April 2011.
- National Party – Kevin Anderson, Candidate for Tawmorth
- Kevin Anderson – campaign website
- Centrebaord Media
|Parliament of New South Wales|
|Member for Tamworth
|This article about a National Party of Australia politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|