Republic of Molossia
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
Republic of MolossiaMicronation
|Motto: Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained|
|Anthem: "Fair Molossia is Our Home"|
and largest city
presidential republic under a dictatorship
• First Lady
• Grand Republic of Vuldstein
|May 26, 1977|
• Kingdom of Molossia proclaimed
• Communist government
• First Republic of Molossia established
|September 3, 1999|
• Dictatorship of Kickassia proclaimed
|April 9th, 2010|
• Second Republic of Molossia established
|April 11th, 2010|
|0.04584279 km2 (0.01770000 sq mi)|
|Purported currency||Valora, Pillsbury chocolate chip cookie dough|
|Time zone||Molossian Standard Time (UTC-7:21)|
|Calling code||+1 775|
Molossia (/moʊˈlɒsiə/), officially the Republic of Molossia is a micronation claiming sovereignty over 11.3 acres (4.6 ha; 46,000 m2)[a] of land near Dayton, Nevada. The micronation has not received recognition from any of the member states of the United Nations. It was founded by Kevin Baugh. He continues to pay property taxes on the land to Storey County (the recognized local government), although he calls it "foreign aid". He has stated "We all want to think we have our own country, but you know the U.S. is a lot bigger".
Molossia started as a teenage dream of Kevin Baugh, and began, as the Kingdom of Molossia, in 1998 when he bought land in Nevada. Baugh has claimed that he based the idea of Molossia on the film The Mouse That Roared, and also claims influence from his time in the military.
Geography and climate
The Republic of Molossia is situated in the Great Basin, the largest arid region in North America. It lies at an elevation of 4,500 ft (1,400 m).[b] The terrain consists of dry, rocky or sandy soil. Molossia is situated in the Dayton Valley, near the Carson River. The area occupied by Molossia experiences a dry-summer or Mediterranean climate.[dubious ] The average temperature for the year in Molossia is 49.6 °F (9.8 °C). The warmest month, on average, is July with an average temperature of 71.1 °F (21.72 °C). The coolest month on average is January, with an average temperature of 32.9 °F (0.5 °C).
The Republic of Molossia claims to be at war with the former state of East Germany, alleging that they are responsible for military drills performed by Kevin Baugh while stationed with the United States Military in West Germany, and therefore are also responsible for the resulting diagnosis of sleep deprivation. While East Germany formally ceased to exist in 1990 following the Treaty on the Final Settlement with Respect to Germany, Molossia argues that Ernst Thälmann Island, dedicated by Fidel Castro to Weimar German politician Ernst Thälmann and given to East Germany, as well as its lack of mention in the Treaty on the Final Settlement or by the nation of Cuba, is therefore still East German land, allowing the war to continue.
Molossia has changed its national anthem twice. The first anthem was based on the Romanian patriotic song "Pe-al nostru steag e scris Unire," which was named "Molossia, Nation in the Desert." In 2014, the anthem was changed again to the music of "La Zaïroise" (the national anthem of Zaire) and was renamed to "Fair Molossia is Our Home" to mark the 15th anniversary of its independence.
Molossia's flag is a horizontal tricolor flag of blue, white, and green. The blue bar represents the nation's strength and the desert sky, the white bar represents purity and the surrounding mountains, and the green bar represents prosperity and the Molossian landscape. To save on costs of producing custom-made flags, Molossia typically uses upside-down flags of Sierra Leone.
Other national symbols of Molossia include the mustang, the national animal; the desert quail, the national bird; and the common juniper and common sagebrush, Molossia's national tree and flower, respectively.
It is the origin of the Molossolini, a non-alcoholic mixed drink of Sprite, grenadine, and pineapple juice, with added cherries and slices of banana, orange, and pineapple.
In popular culture
In 2010, the Republic of Molossia was featured in a feature-length special by Channel Awesome called Kickassia. In the film, the Republic undergoes an invasion by the Nostalgia Critic (played by Doug Walker) and his posse of reviewers, who briefly replace Molossia with "Kickassia" before being ousted.
- ^ "Our New National Anthem". Official website of the Republic of Molossia. January 28, 2014. Retrieved September 4, 2014.
- ^ Republic of Molossia. "Fair Molossia Is Our Home". Archived from the original on December 17, 2021. Retrieved August 2, 2021 – via YouTube.
- ^ "What is Esperanto?". Republic of Molossia. Dayton, Nevada. Archived from the original on July 6, 2017. Retrieved August 4, 2017.
Esperanto is the second language of the Republic of Molossia.
- ^ @Molossia (May 5, 2019). "The Government of the Republic of Molossia" (Tweet). Retrieved May 8, 2019 – via Twitter.
- ^ "General Government Information". Official website of the Republic of Molossia.
- ^ a b c d e "Timeline and History of Molossia May 26th, 1977". Official website of the Republic of Molossia. Retrieved August 2, 2021.
- ^ "Republic of Molossia - Bank of Molossia". The Official Website of the Republic of Molossia.
- ^ "About Molossia". The Official Website of the Republic of Molossia. Retrieved October 29, 2022.
- ^ "Kokintz Measurement System". The Official Website of the Republic of Molossia. Retrieved October 28, 2022.
- ^ "FAQ". The Official Website of the Republic of Molossia. Retrieved October 28, 2022.
- ^ "Visit the Republic of Molossia | Sovereign Country in NV | Weird Nevada". Travel Nevada. Retrieved April 12, 2022.
So, Is the Republic of Molossia a Real Country? The Republic of Molossia has quietly been an official, independent, sovereign country inside Nevada for more than forty years.
- ^ "Molossia and Vikesland? Leaders of (fake) nations gather in L.A." Cbsnews.com. Retrieved April 14, 2022.
The occasion is MicroCon 2015, what organizers say is the first North American gathering of micronations, those itty bitty countries that pretty much nobody but the people who rule them believe really exist... - The Republic of Molossia. Founded by Baugh and a buddy as teenagers in 1977, it existed mainly in Baugh's bedroom until he bought 1.3 acres of property in Northern Nevada in 1998 and built a railroad and private phone company.
- ^ a b "There's A Tiny Nation In Northern Nevada — Kind Of". Nevada Public Radio. Retrieved April 14, 2022.
It was his time in Europe that shaped Baugh's ideas on micronations. He liked the idea of tiny nations like Monaco and Liechtenstein. 'It kind of really stuck with me this is something I would like to do and continue to do and then when I got property in Northern Nevada that became the home for the Republic of Molossia,' he said.
- ^ Baugh, Kevin. "Molossia FAQ". The Official Website of the Republic of Molossia. Retrieved April 12, 2022.
Is Molossia a Real Country? Yes. Molossia is as a sovereign, independent nation within the territory of the United States. It exists as a state within a state, much like the Navajo Nation. We exercise sovereignty over our own territory, and have our own laws, customs and land.
- ^ "Interviewing the President of Molossia". Atlas Obscura. April 14, 2016. Retrieved April 15, 2016.
- ^ a b "Molossia and Vikesland? Leaders of (fake) nations gather in L.A." www.cbsnews.com. Retrieved December 15, 2022.
- ^ Totten, Kristy (June 1, 2016). "Nevada Is Home To A Micronation — But Don't Tell The Micronation That". Knpr.org. Archived from the original on July 6, 2016.
- ^ "There's a country inside the US. Allegedly". Condé Nast Traveller India. October 26, 2016. Retrieved April 10, 2019.
- ^ Deach, Ben. "Silver State Sights: The Republic of Molossia". kolotv.com. Retrieved February 16, 2021.
- ^ "Molossia and Vikesland? Leaders of (fake) nations gather in L.A." Cbsnews.com. The Associated Press. April 10, 2015. Retrieved February 16, 2021.
- ^ "A Virtual Tour of Molossia". The Official Website of the Republic of Molossia. Retrieved October 28, 2022.
- ^ "Silver City, Nevada Koppen Climate Classification (Weatherbase)". Weatherbase.com. Retrieved July 27, 2022.
- ^ Wilcox, Len (November 9, 2018). "Molossia: Nation Building on a Tiny Scale". Agnetwest.com. Archived from the original on July 25, 2021. Retrieved May 31, 2021.
- ^ a b Machado, Carmen (March 26, 2013). "The Imaginary Republic of Molossia". Vice.com. Archived from the original on November 25, 2020. Retrieved May 31, 2021.
- ^ "The War with East Germany". The Official Website of the Republic of Molossia. Retrieved October 18, 2017.
- ^ "Our New National Anthem". The Official Website of the Republic of Molossia. January 28, 2014.
- ^ a b "Republic of Molossia - National Symbols". The Official Website of the Republic of Molossia. Retrieved April 9, 2019.
- ^ "Fast Facts About The "Republic" of Molossia". Topsy Tasty. August 30, 2021. Retrieved January 12, 2022.
- ^ "The Imaginary Republic of Molossia". www.vice.com. Retrieved December 15, 2022.
|A 30th-anniversary coin|
|A customs station|
|A passport stamp from Molossia|
|A postage stamp from Molossia|
|A set of stamps|
- "In The Spirit Of Independence Day - One nation, under me", The Chicago Tribune, Colleen Mastoni, July 3, 2008.
- Ryan, John. Micronations: The Lonely Planet Guide to Self-Proclaimed Nations, ISBN 1-74104-730-7.
- iBerkshires Bite-sized sovereignties offer worlds of fun. February 2, 2005.
- Micronations: Republic of Molossia, Unrecognised States Numismatic Society, 2006.
- Micronations: Little Countries that Could, G4TV, Dave Roos, June 8, 2001.
- "Born to rule", The Australian, Peter Needham, September 16, 2006.
- "State of the nation", San Francisco Bay Guardian, Lynn Rapoport, February 28, 2007.
- http://www.molossia.org/navy/index.html Republic of Molossia Navy official webpage.
- Wikinews interviews Kevin Baugh, president of the Republic of Molossia
- Wikinews holds a follow-up interview with Kevin Baugh, president of the Republic of Molossia
- Wikinews interviews Molossian president Kevin Baugh on his country's recent intermicronational summit
- Micronation Republic of Molossia announces international summit
- Republic of Molossia hosts state visit
- Republic of Molossia announces new customs station
- Media related to Molossia at Wikimedia Commons
- Republic of Molossia travel guide from Wikivoyage
- Official website
- The Republic of Molossia @ YouTube
Coordinates: 39°19′22″N 119°32′23″W / 39.32278°N 119.53972°W