Kevin Casey (fighter)
|Born||Kevin Berryman Casey Jr.
June 15, 1981 
Inglewood, California, U.S.
|Height||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|Weight||185 lb (84 kg; 13.2 st)|
|Reach||76.0 in (193 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Hawthorne, California|
Rickson Gracie Jiu-Jitsu
|Rank||Black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu|
|Years active||2007–present (MMA)|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Notable relatives||Muhammad Ali (father-in-law)
Laila Ali (sister-in-law)
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Kevin Berryman Casey Jr. (born June 15, 1981) is an American mixed martial artist currently competing in the Middleweight division of Bellator MMA. He was a member on The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs. Team Sonnen and also competed for Strikeforce and the UFC.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Mixed martial arts career
- 3 Personal life
- 4 Championships and achievements
- 5 Mixed martial arts record
- 6 See also
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Casey is a supporter of CHAMP, a non-profit organization founded by his brother Keith Casey that works to build the minds and bodies of inner city youth through mixed martial arts.
Mixed martial arts career
Following his unsuccessful debut, Casey made his first North American MMA appearance in 2008. He defeated Andrew Flores and Jimmy Mills in July and October, respectively, before taking a year off from the sport.
In November 2009, Casey made his Strikeforce debut on one of their Strikeforce Challengers cards. He defeated Chad Vance by submission. He made his second appearance for the promotion on May 21, 2010. He lost to Matt Lindland via TKO in the third round.
The Ultimate Fighter
In January 2013, it was revealed that Casey was a cast member of The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs. Team Sonnen. He won his preliminary bout over Eldon Sproat via rear naked choke. Casey was selected by Sonnen as his sixth pick (eleventh overall). In the next round, Casey was pitted against Jones' fifth pick Collin Hart. He lost the bout via unanimous decision.
Casey was then given a second chance when he was chosen as Team Sonnen's wildcard. He fought against Team Jones' Bubba McDaniel. Despite controlling the first round, Casey lost via TKO at the end of the second round when he was unable to answer the bell for the third round. Many people, including Dana White, were shocked Kevin could just quit like that. Casey attributed this to difficulties relating to acute renal failure from his drastic weight cut for his bout.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
On April 9, 2013, it was announced that Casey would face fellow season 17 alumni Josh Samman at The Ultimate Fighter 17 Finale. He lost the fight via TKO in the second round. Following the loss Casey was released from the promotion.
Resurrection Fighting Alliance
Following his release from the UFC, Casey signed with Resurrection Fighting Alliance (RFA). He made his RFA debut on August 16, 2013 at RFA 9 against Casey Ryan. He won the fight by unanimous decision. He fought next on January 24, 2014 against former UFC veteran Eddie Mendez. He won that fight via TKO (Elbows) in the first round.
Casey replaced Vinny Magalhães on 30 minutes notice at Metamoris 3, a submission-only jiu-jitsu competition, in Los Angeles on 29 March 2014. Casey was submitted by Keenan Cornelius via heel hook. In 2012, Casey himself had to pull out of a scheduled Metamoris competition, making his 2014 appearance his first participation with the organization.
Casey was scheduled to face Vinny Magalhaes at Metamoris 5, however was forced to withdraw just a week out from the November 22, 2014, competition due to a bloodclot in his calf that required surgery.
Return to UFC
Following his championship win at Resurrection Fighting Alliance 15, Casey was re-signed by the Ultimate Fighting Championship. He faced Bubba Bush at UFC 175 on July 5, 2014. He won the fight via TKO early in the first round due to a punch that dropped his opponent and subsequent elbows on the ground. However, Casey later failed a post-fight drug test for drostanolone, a form of anabolic steroid. Later, he was suspended for a year and fined $5,600 by the Nevada Athletic Commission.
Casey faced Antônio Carlos Júnior on December 10, 2015, at UFC Fight Night 80. The bout was deemed a No Contest just 11 seconds into the first round when Júnior accidentally poked Casey in both eyes and Casey was unable to continue.
On October 21, 2016, the UFC announced that they had cut Casey from the promotion.
Championships and achievements
- Resurrection Fighting Alliance
- RFA Middleweight Championship (One time, first)
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|18 matches||9 wins||5 losses|
|Draw||9–5–2 (2)||Keith Berry||Draw (majority)||Bellator 170||January 21, 2017||3||5:00||Inglewood, California, United States|
|Loss||9–5–1 (2)||Sam Alvey||TKO (punches)||UFC on Fox: Maia vs. Condit||August 27, 2016||2||4:56||Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada|
|Draw||9–4–1 (2)||Elvis Mutapcic||Draw (split)||UFC 199||June 4, 2016||3||5:00||Inglewood, California, United States|
|Loss||9–4 (2)||Rafael Natal||TKO (punches)||UFC on Fox: Johnson vs. Bader||January 30, 2016||3||3:37||Newark, New Jersey, United States|
|NC||9–3 (2)||Antônio Carlos Júnior||NC (accidental eye poke)||UFC Fight Night: Namajunas vs. VanZant||December 10, 2015||1||0:11||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Casey was rendered unable to continue.|
|Win||9–3 (1)||Ildemar Alcântara||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Mir vs. Duffee||July 15, 2015||3||5:00||San Diego, California, United States|
|NC||8–3 (1)||Bubba Bush||NC (overturned)||UFC 175||July 5, 2014||1||1:01||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Originally a KO (elbows) win for Casey; overturned after he tested positive for drostanolone.|
|Win||8–3||Andrew Sanchez||KO (punches)||RFA 15||June 6, 2014||1||2:30||Los Angeles, California, United States||Won the inaugural RFA Middleweight Championship.|
|Win||7–3||Eddie Mendez||TKO (elbows)||RFA 12||January 24, 2014||1||3:38||Los Angeles, California, United States|
|Win||6–3||Casey Ryan||Decision (unanimous)||RFA 9||August 6, 2013||3||5:00||Los Angeles, California, United States|
|Loss||5–3||Josh Samman||TKO (knees)||The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs. Team Sonnen Finale||April 13, 2013||2||2:17||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||5–2||Reggie Orr||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Samurai MMA Pro 2||April 15, 2012||1||2:53||Hollywood, California, United States|
|Win||4–2||Daniel Mancha||TKO (punches)||Samurai MMA Pro 2011||October 22, 2011||1||1:16||Culver City, California, United States|
|Loss||3–2||Matt Lindland||TKO (punches)||Strikeforce Challengers: Lindland vs. Casey||May 21, 2010||3||3:41||Portland, Oregon, United States|
|Win||3–1||Chad Vance||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Strikeforce Challengers: Woodley vs. Bears||November 20, 2009||1||1:41||Kansas City, Kansas, United States|
|Win||2–1||Jimmy Mills||Submission (rear-naked choke)||EFA - Caged Fury||October 25, 2008||1||4:27||Monroe, Louisiana, United States|
|Win||1–1||Andrew Flores||Decision (unanimous)||Fist Series: SummerFist 2008||July 27, 2008||3||5:00||Irvine, California, United States|
|Loss||0–1||Ikuhisa Minowa||TKO (punches)||K-1 Hero's - Tournament Final||September 17, 2007||2||0:42||Yokohama, Japan|
Mixed martial arts exhibition record
|Exhibition record breakdown|
|3 matches||1 win||2 losses|
|Loss||1–2||Bubba McDaniel||TKO (corner stoppage)||TUF 17||March 19, 2013 (airdate)||2||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Wildcard fight|
|Loss||1–1||Collin Hart||Decision (unanimous)||TUF 17||February 12, 2013 (airdate)||2||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||1–0||Eldon Sproat||Submission (rear-naked choke)||TUF 17||January 22, 2013 (airdate)||1||N/A||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Preliminary round|
- "Kevin "King" Casey". sherdog.com.
- "Fight Card - UFC Fight Night Mir vs. Duffee". UFC.com. Retrieved July 15, 2015.
- John Morgan (January 23, 2013). "Meet 'The Ultimate Fighter 17' cast: Kevin Casey, a humbled 'King'". MMAjunkie.com.
- "TUF 17 Finale fight card". mmafighting.com. April 9, 2013. Retrieved April 9, 2013.
- "Phil De Fries, Chris Spang and Five Others Released From The UFC". fighters.com. April 30, 2013.
- "Meet RFA's latest signings including Justin Lawrence, Chris Spang and Kevin Casey". kingdommma.co.uk.
- "RFA holds historic first event in Los Angeles". mmamania.com. 2013-07-13.
- Pagliuca, Chris (2014-03-29). "Metamoris 3: Bravo vs. Gracie Results". MMAnuts.com. Retrieved 2014-03-30.
- bjpenn.com (2014-03-29). "Kevin Casey In As Last Minute Replacement, Faces Keenan Cornelius". BJPenn.com. Retrieved 2014-03-30.
- "Kevin Casey vs. Bubba Bush slated for UFC 175". MMAfighting.com. 2014-06-17. Retrieved 2014-06-18.
- Steven Marrocco (2014-07-30). "Kevin Casey and Robert Drysdale flunk post-fight tests at UFC 175, TUF 19 Finale". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-07-31.
- Shaun Al-Shatti (Sep 23, 2014). "Kevin Casey suspended one year for positive steroid test at UFC 175". mmafighting.com.
- Guilherme Cruz (2015-05-22). "Kevin Casey vs. Ildemar Alcantara agreed for UFC Fight Night 71". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2015-05-22.
- Dann Stupp (2015-07-15). "UFC Fight Night 71 results: Kevin Casey grinds out shutout win over Ildemar Alcantara". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-07-15.
- Staff (2015-09-11). "Good vs. Akhmedov, Casey vs. Carlos Junior set for UFC Fight Night 80 in Las Vegas". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-09-11.
- Ben Fowlkes (2015-12-10). "UFC Fight Night 80 results: Kevin Casey vs. Antonio Carlos Junior ends in quick no-contest". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-12-10.
- Staff (2015-12-28). "Kevin Casey vs. Rafael Natal Added to UFC on Fox 18 in New Jersey". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2015-12-28.
- Ben Fowlkes (2016-01-30). "UFC on FOX 18 results: Rafael Natal controls, finishes Kevin Casey in third". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-01-30.
- Brian Martin (2016-03-16). "UFC 199 adds middlweights Kevin Casey vs. Elvis Mutapcic". ladailynews.com. Retrieved 2016-03-16.
- Ben Fowlkes (2016-06-04). "UFC 199 results: Day after Muhammad Ali's death, son-in-law Kevin Casey handed split draw with Mutapcic". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-06-04.
- Staff (2016-07-19). "UFC on FOX 21 in Vancouver adds three bouts, including Sam Alvey vs. Kevin Casey". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-07-19.
- Brent Brookhouse (2016-08-27). "UFC on FOX 21 results: Sam Alvey finishes Kevin Casey with punches in second round". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-08-27.
- Dave Doyle (2016-10-21). "UFC cuts 13 fighters from roster as cutbacks continue". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2016-10-21.
- "Kevin Casey will fight at UFC 199 despite passing of father-in-law Muhammad Ali". FoxSports.com.