September 2, 1984 |
Orlando, Florida, United States
|Genres||Hip hop, R&B|
|Occupation(s)||Singer, songwriter, record producer|
Kevin Cossom (born September 2, 1984) is an American singer and record producer born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and raised in Orlando, Florida. Cossom has written for a variety of artists including Keri Hilson ("Knock You Down" featuring Kanye West and Ne-Yo) and Mary. J Blige.
1999–2004: Career beginnings
Cossom grew up in Orlando, Florida. An only child to a single mother - an educator and founder of a performing arts academy. She encouraged him to perform his first solo at the age of three. While his exposure to secular music was limited, Cossom was able to hone his skills singing in his gospel church choir. At six, he joined his first group, a gospel act assembled by his mother and at 14, formed a short-lived singing group with friends. From 1999-2002, Kevin fronted the Orlando-based r+b group, Nu Ground, along with Andrew (Drew) Seeley and toured all over the country. They released an album featuring the song "My Girl, My Boo". Three years later, he began to build a reputation as a songwriter and singer.
In 2004, after a meeting with 50 Cent at his Connecticut mansion, Cossom was asked to write and record a hook for a song that G-Unit member Lloyd Banks was working on. This resulted in "Karma" – a hit single on Banks’ debut album, The Hunger for More. Though Cossom was replaced by Avant on the video and radio versions of the single, through this encounter, he received his first songwriting credit.
After returning home, Cossom met Orlando-based hip-hop production duo, The Runners, through a mutual DJ friend. Within a year, they asked Cossom to assist with a song they were producing for Young Jeezy's album, The Inspiration: Thug Motivation 102. He went on to pen the hook for Jeezy’s hit single "Go Getta" featuring R. Kelly which ultimately led to Cossom securing a publishing deal with Warner/Chappell. Through this deal, Cossom was introduced to Grammy Award-winning producer, Danja, to write for a girl group that he was producing for. The two developed a chemistry that led to Cossom being the first artist signed to the producer's N.A.R.S. record label.
2009–present: Hook vs. Bridge, By Any Means and debut album
Since joining forces with Danja, Cossom has gone on to lend vocals to and write and arrange for several artists throughout the music industry and most recently, has written material for Justin Bieber.
In March 2011, Cossom released his mixtape, By Any Means, where he teams up once again with Danja, The Runners and Rick Ross adding features from J. Cole, Ace Hood and more. On October 7, RCA Music Group announced it was disbanding Jive Records along with Arista Records and J Records. With the shutdown, Cossom (and all other artists previously signed to these three labels) will release his future material (including his debut studio album) on the RCA Records brand.
- Extended plays
- Hook vs. Bridge (2009)
- Hook vs. Bridge II (2012)
- By Any Means (2011)
|"Won't Let You Down"||2007||Chamillionaire||Ultimate Victory|
|"That's My Money"||2008||Rocko||Self Made|
|"Say Cheese"||none||Step Up 2: The Streets (soundtrack)|
|"Man Right Here"||Attitude||Time Is Money|
|"Big Time"||E-40||The Ball Street Journal|
|"Usual Suspects"||2009||Rick Ross, Nas||Deeper Than Rap|
|"Picture Phone Foreplay"||2010||Sheek Louch||Donnie G: Don Gorilla|
|"On My Way"||DJ Khaled, Ace Hood, Bali, Desloc, BallGreezy, Rum, Iceberg, Gunplay, Young Cash||Victory|
|"Feeling Myself"||2011||Pusha T||Fear of God and Fear of God II: Let Us Pray|
|"Memory Lane"||Ace Hood||Blood, Sweat & Tears|
|"Words of Advice"||DJ Drama, Lil Wayne, Mack Maine||Third Power|
|"Lottery"||2012||Ace Hood||Body Bag Vol. 2|
|"Loving Me Now"||Ariez Onasis||The Heartbreak Kid|
|"Triple Up"||2013||Jigg||HighGrade 2|
|"Motive"||Ace Hood||Starvation 2|
|"Talk a Good Game"||Kelly Rowland||Talk a Good Game|
|"No Regrets"||Pusha T, Young Jeezy||My Name Is My Name|
|"Action"||2014||Red Café, Fabolous||American Psycho II|
- "Warner/Chappell Music Takes Home BMI’s ‘Publisher Of The Year’ Award At 58th Annual BMI Pop Awards". Warner Music Group. Retrieved 2011-05-29.
- "Music: Mary J. Blige – Tonight". ThisisRnB.com. Retrieved 2011-05-29.
- "Mariah Carey, Keri Hilson Producer Danja Inks Deal With R&B Artist Kevin Cossom (Updated)". Singersroom. Retrieved 2011-05-28.
- "Exclusive: Justin Bieber Enlists Danja, Bangladesh for ‘Edgy’ Album". Rap-Up. Retrieved 2011-05-29.
- Drake discography - "I Get Paper" (Kevin Cossom featuring Drake). Wikipedia. Retrieved 2011-05-28.
- "RCA's New Executive Team Named Under CEO Peter Edge Amid Layoffs (Update) | Billboard". Billboard.biz. 2011-08-23. Retrieved 2014-08-10.
- "Radio Industry News, Music Industry Updates, Nielsen Ratings, Music News and more!". FMQB. Retrieved 2014-08-10.
- Horowitz, Steven J (January 9, 2013). "Ace Hood "Starvation 2" Mixtape Tracklist & Cover Art". HipHopDX. Retrieved January 9, 2013.
- "iTunes - Music - My Name Is My Name by Pusha T". Itunes.apple.com. Retrieved 2013-09-25.
- "Red Cafe American Psycho 2". DatPiff. February 17, 2014. Retrieved March 20, 2014.