Kevin Gillespie (chef)
September 30, 1982 |
|Education||Art Institute of Atlanta|
Kevin Gillespie (born September 30, 1982) is an American chef, author and former Top Chef contestant. He is a former co-owner and executive chef at Woodfire Grill in Atlanta. He opened Gunshow, a restaurant in Atlanta, in 2013 and Revival, a restaurant in Decatur, Georgia, in 2015. Gillespie also started Red Beard Restaurants, allowing Gillespie to expand and provide consulting services to other start-ups. Kevin Gillespie’s Gamechanger opened in August 2017 on the 200 concourse western end zone of the Mercedes-Benz Stadium and his latest endeavor, a partnership called RedWether Collaborative, aims to take the current food hall trend to the next level by opening two concepts in Kansas City, Missouri, and Nashville, Tennessee by mid-2018.
Gillespie was a finalist in the sixth season of Top Chef, Bravo's cooking competition show and was voted as the "Fan Favorite" contestant for the season. As a prize for winning one of the Top Chef episodes, Gillespie was invited to compete in the Bocuse d'Or USA cooking competition, for the opportunity to be the U.S. representative in the 2011 international Bocuse d'Or, but later withdrew due to not having enough time to prepare. Gillespie returned to television to compete on Bravo’s “Top Chef Duels,” advancing to the high-stakes finale.
On November 6, 2014, Gillespie was awarded the GRACE Innovator Award by the Georgia Restaurant Association. Gillespie was nominated for Food & Wine’s People’s Best New Chef and named Forbes’ 30 Under 30. In 2014, Gunshow earned a spot on GQ magazine’s list of “12 Most Outstanding Restaurants” as well as Esquire magazine’s list of “Best New Restaurants of 2014.”  Eater included Gunshow in its annual “The National 38” list of places to eat in America in 2015 and 2016.
Gillespie reached the semi-final stage of the James Beard Rising Star Chef of the Year awards four consecutive years in a row. In 2013, Gillespie was named a James Beard Foundation Award Finalist in the Cookbook: American Cooking category for his debut cookbook, Fire in my Belly. His 2015 follow-up, “Pure Pork Awesomeness,” was devoted to Gillespie’s preferred protein. Gillespie was named a semifinalist for the James Beard Award Best Chef: Southeast in 2015, finalist in 2016 and a semifinalist in 2017.
In other media
- Gillespie voiced himself in the season six episode "Asbestos I Can" on the animated series Squidbillies.
- Gillespie also voiced a truck driver in the animated series Archer.
- In 2012, Gillespie voiced Crimson Tightwad in the Cartoon Network syndicated series/Adult Swim original Aqua Teen Hunger Force.
- "Atlanta Business Chronicle - Atlanta's culinary status rises". Atlanta.bizjournals.com. Retrieved 2012-02-02.
- "Kevin Gillespie Launches Red Beard Restaurants". Eater Atlanta. Retrieved 2017-11-03.
- "At Kevin Gillespie's Gamechanger, you can get a "Closed on Sunday" chicken sandwich with a half-pound of fries". Atlanta Magazine. 2017-07-19. Retrieved 2017-11-03.
- "Chef Kevin Gillespie's Red Beard Restaurants joins forces with Meriwether Companies to form Redwether Collaborative - Restaurant Informer". Restaurant Informer. 2017-07-20. Retrieved 2017-11-03.
- Jean, Jenna. "Catching Up With Top Chefs Kevin Gillespie". Paste Magazine. Retrieved 2012-02-02.
- "Reality TV is entrepreneurs' friend". CNN. 2010-03-09. Retrieved 2012-02-02.
- "Kevin Gillespie wins Top Chef Las Vegas fan favorite". Reality Blurred. 2009-12-18. Retrieved 2012-02-02.
- "LA Times - Bocuse d'Or semi finalists announced". Latimesblogs.latimes.com. 2009-12-10. Retrieved 2012-02-02.
- Friday, January 22, 2010, by Paolo (2010-01-22). "Eater National - Top Chef's Kevin Gillespie Out of Bocuse d'Or USA Competition". Eater.com. Retrieved 2012-02-02.
- "Kevin Gillespie". Bravo TV Official Site. 2012-06-25. Retrieved 2017-11-03.
- The Braiser blog, Wolfgang Puck: Young Chefs Today Don’t Know How To Cook An Egg Correctly November 1, 2012. Accessed January 3, 2013.
- "8th Annual GRACE Award Winners Announced". Georgia Restaurant Association. Archived from the original on 7 November 2014. Retrieved 6 November 2014.
- "The People's Best New Chef: Southeast". Food & Wine. Retrieved 2017-11-03.
- Le, Vanna. "Kevin Gillespie, Executive Chef, Woodfire Grill, 29 - pg.6". Forbes. Retrieved 2017-11-03.
- "https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news/2014/02/20/gq-praises-gunshow-and-the-general-muir.html". www.bizjournals.com. Retrieved 2017-11-03. External link in
- "Gunshow Makes Esquire's 'Best New Restaurants' List". Eater Atlanta. Retrieved 2017-11-03.
- "Gunshow Is One of Eater's 38 Essential Restaurants in America". Eater Atlanta. Retrieved 2017-11-03.
- "James Beard Foundation". James Beard Foundation. Retrieved 2017-11-03.
- "Atlanta's Semifinalists for the 2015 James Beard Awards". Eater Atlanta. Retrieved 2017-11-03.
- "Atlanta restaurants, chefs named James Beard finalists for 2016 | Atlanta Restaurant Scene". Retrieved 2017-11-03.
- "James Beard Awards Atlanta: 2017 semifinalists | Atlanta Restaurant Scene". Retrieved 2017-11-03.