Kevin Hand is an astrobiologist and planetary scientist at JPL. He is also the founder of Cosmos Education and was its president until 2007. He was working at NASA Ames when he was inspired to form Cosmos Education in 1999 after getting a grant from the Earth and Space Foundation to tour African schools to talk about how education relates to space research.
Hand studied psychology and physics as an undergraduate at Dartmouth. He earned a master's degree at Stanford University in mechanical engineering while also working as a public policy research associate at Stanford's Center for International Security and Cooperation (CISAC). He chose the question of whether Europa's putative ocean could harbor life as his Geological & Environmental Sciences PhD dissertation topic, under the direction of Christopher Chyba, earning the doctorate in 2007.
While a PhD student, he was chosen by James Cameron to take marine biology samples from hydrothermal vents in subsea expeditions to the mid-Atlantic ridge and East Pacific Rise. He was a featured scientist in Cameron's 2005 IMAX documentary, Aliens of the Deep.
- "Kevin Hand, Planetary Scientist and Astrobiologist". Emerging Explorers. National Geographic. 2011. Retrieved 2011-08-11.
- Bowermaster, Jon (July 27, 2011). "The five explorers of the future". GADLING. AOL.com. Retrieved 2011-08-11.
- Ravneet Sehmi (27 August 2008). "Bringing Science Education Down to the Grass Roots" (PDF). Nairobi Star; Star Life. Archived from the original (PDF) on 27 August 2010. Retrieved 2011-08-11.
- Charles Cockell; Don White; Douglas Messier; M. Dale Stokes (2002). "Fostering links between environmental and space exploration: the Earth and Space Foundation" (PDF). Space Policy. 18: 301–306. doi:10.1016/s0265-9646(02)00043-7. Retrieved 2011-08-11.
- "Earth and Space Awards 1999". Earth and Space Foundation. 1999. Archived from the original on 2011-10-02. Retrieved 2011-08-13.
- "Kevin Hand". JPL Science: Planetary Ices: People. JPL.
- "Kevin Hand". Voices. Mountain View, CA: SETI Institute.
- "Kevin Hand". SETI Institute Explorer. SETI Institute. 2005.
- Hand, Kevin (May 12, 2005). "Cosmos Education: Engaging, Empowering, Inspiring". Cyberspeak. USA Today. Retrieved 2011-08-11.
- Kevin Hand (22 January 2009). "Is there life on Europa?". Nature. 457: 384–385. Bibcode:2009Natur.457..384H. doi:10.1038/457384a., a review of Richard Greenberg (2008). Unmasking Europa: The Search for Life on Jupiter's Ocean Moon. Praxis/Springer. ISBN 0-387-47936-8.
- Kevin Hand. "Antarctic Journal". spaceref.com. Retrieved 2011-08-13.
- Kevin Hand (February 9–13, 2009). "Report on the Europa Lander Workshop" (PDF). IKI, Space Research Institute, Moscow, Russia. Retrieved 2011-11-20.