This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (January 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Full name||Kevin James Hector|
|Date of birth||2 November 1944|
|Place of birth||Leeds, England|
|1962–1966||Bradford Park Avenue||176||(113)|
|1978||→ Boston United (loan)||13||(4)|
|1979–1980||→ Burton Albion (loan)||11||(9)|
|1987–1994||Shardlow St James|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only|
Kevin James Hector (born 2 November 1944 in Leeds) is an English former footballer who scored 268 goals from 662 appearances in the Football League playing for Bradford Park Avenue and Derby County. His 486 League appearances for Derby County is a club record. He also played in the North American Soccer League for the Vancouver Whitecaps, and was capped twice for England.
After a successful start to his playing career in the lower leagues at Bradford Park Avenue, Tim Ward signed him for Derby County in 1966 and he was a key player in their success under the management of Brian Clough and Dave Mackay over the next few seasons, forming a formidable partnership with John O'Hare. Hector played for the Rams for a total of 12 years, during which time they won the Football League First Division championship twice (the first time in 1972 under Clough and the second time in 1975 under Mackay), the Football League Second Division championship and promotion to the First Division in 1969, and reached the semi-finals of the European Cup, FA Cup and the League Cup.
After his time in North America he rejoined Derby in the early 1980s.
He made a record 589 appearances for Derby in his two spells, 486 of which came in league games.
In season 1965–66, whilst playing for Bradford Park Avenue, he scored 44 league goals in a single 46-game league season plus 6 goals in the first 4 league games of the following season prior to his transfer to Derby.
Hector played twice for England, his debut coming as an 88th-minute substitute in the fateful World Cup qualifier against Poland at Wembley in October 1973, when England, needing victory to qualify, were held to a 1-1 draw.
- "Kevin Hector". Englandstats. Retrieved 29 January 2010.
- "Kevin Hector". UK A–Z Transfers. Neil Brown. Retrieved 29 January 2010.
- "North American Soccer League Players Kevin Hector". NASL Jerseys. Dave Morrison. Retrieved 29 January 2010.[permanent dead link]
- "The Canada XI". TorontoFC.ca. Retrieved 16 November 2010.
- "Derby County Club Records". Derby County FC. 28 May 2010. Archived from the original on 21 August 2010. Retrieved 11 February 2012.
- Shaw, Phil (23 September 1992). "Avenue trek down the nostalgia trail: Phil Shaw looks ahead to Saturday's FA Cup encounter between two old rivals from the era of baggy shorts and laced footballs". The Independent. Retrieved 8 September 2015.