Hickey in 2003
February 25, 1956|
|Died: May 16, 2012
|April 14, 1981, for the Chicago White Sox|
|Last MLB appearance|
|July 6, 1991, for the Baltimore Orioles|
Kevin John Hickey (February 25, 1956 – May 16, 2012), was an American left-handed pitcher who spent six seasons in Major League Baseball (MLB) with the Chicago White Sox (1981–1983) and Baltimore Orioles (1989–1991). It was with the White Sox that he was a reliever with the American League (AL) West titlist in 1983 and a batting practice pitcher for the 2005 World Series Champions.
Hickey was born on February 25, 1956 in Chicago's South Side and was raised in the Brighton Park neighborhood. He first attended St. Rita of Cascia High School on a basketball scholarship, but was expelled for excessive truancy. He completed his secondary education at Thomas Kelly High School.
In August 1978, Hickey attended an open tryout held by the White Sox at Chicago's McKinley Park. Hickey was recruited after a staffer saw him playing 16" softball for the Bobcats at Kelly Park. He was the only player out of 250 to receive a contract, signing a minor league deal for $500 a month.
After Hickey's retirement as a player, he worked as a car salesman in Columbus, Ohio for almost ten years. He then moved back to Chicago and in 2003, the White Sox hired him to be their batting practice pitcher. He continued to work in that capacity for the rest of his life. On April 5, 2012, he was found unresponsive in his hotel room in Arlington, Texas. Hickey died on May 16, 2012. He was 56.
- Konkol, Mark. "Kevin Hickey, a long shot who fulfilled a neighborhood dream, dies at 56," Chicago Sun-Times, Thursday, May 17, 2012.
- Barnes, Craig (31 March 1989). "Orioles Hickey`s Call Pays Off". South Florida Sun-Sentinel. Retrieved 18 April 2012.
- Gonzales, Mark (16 April 2012). "Sox BP pitcher Hickey transferred to Chicago hospital". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 18 April 2012.
- Career statistics and player information from Baseball-Reference
- Source: Ex-Sox pitcher Hickey in coma - Chicago White Sox Blog - ESPN
- Former White Sox Pitcher Kevin Hickey Dies At 56 - SBNation.com