|Full name||Kevin Leslie Iro|
24 May 1968 |
Auckland, New Zealand
|Height||191 cm (6 ft 3 in)|
|Weight||95 kg (14 st 13 lb)|
|1988||Rest of the World||1||1||0||0||4|
|Source: Player Profile and Rugby League Project|
Kevin Leslie Iro (born 24 May 1968) is a former professional rugby league international footballer who has represented both New Zealand and the Cook Islands. In his domestic career, his achievements include playing in the Challenge Cup final for Leeds, Wigan and St. Helens. Iro is the younger brother of New Zealand rugby league international Tony Iro.
As a junior he played for the Glen Innes Falcons, a feeder club to Ellerslie during the 1980s. Kevin Iro played Centre, i.e. number 3, and scored 2- tries and 3-conversions in Wigan's 22-17 victory over Salford in the 1988 Lancashire Cup final during the 1988–89 season at Knowsley Road, St. Helens on Sunday 23 October 1988, Kevin Iro played Centre, i.e. number 3, and scored a try in Wigan's 12-6 victory over Widnes in the 1988–89 John Player Special Trophy final during the 1988–89 season at Burnden Park, Bolton on Saturday 7 January 1989, and played Centre, i.e. number 3, in the 12-6 victory over Widnes in the 1989–90 Regal Trophy final during the 1989–80 season at Headingley Stadium, Leeds on Saturday 13 January 1990. He was St. Helens' lone try-scorer in their 1999 Super League Grand Final victory over Bradford Bulls. Having won the 1999 Championship, St Helens RLFC contested in the 2000 World Club Challenge against National Rugby League Premiers the Melbourne Storm, with Iro playing at Centre in the loss. Iro played for St Helens RLFC at Centre in their 2000 Super League Grand Final victory over Wigan Warriors. As Super League V champions, St Helens RLFC played against 2000 NRL Premiers, the Brisbane Broncos in the 2001 World Club Challenge. Iro played at centre in Saints' victory.
In 2006 Iro coached the Cook Islands national rugby league team in a three match series against the New Zealand Māori side. In the third and deciding match Iro came out of retirement, scoring two tries in a 32-4 victory. He also represented the Cook Islands at the 2006 Commonwealth Games playing rugby sevens.
- IRO, KEVIN LESLIE 1987 - 98 - KIWI #604 nzleague.co.nz
- History ellerslieleague.co.nz
- "1988–1989 Lancashire Cup Final". wigan.rlfans.com. 31 December 2014. Retrieved 1 January 2015.
- "7th January 1989: Wigan 12 Widnes 6 (John Player Trophy Final)". wigan.rlfans.com. 31 December 2014. Retrieved 1 January 2015.
- "13th January 1990: Wigan 24 Halifax 12 (Regal Trophy Final)". wigan.rlfans.com. 31 December 2014. Retrieved 1 January 2015.
- John Coffey, Bernie Wood (2008). 100 years: Māori rugby league, 1908-2008. Huia Publishers. p. 338. ISBN 9781869693312.