Kevin Jackson (dancer)
|Born||1984 (age 34–35)|
|Employer||The Australian Ballet|
Kevin Jackson began dance lessons aged seven at the Shirley Farrell Academy of Dance in Western Australia, starting with Scottish highland and tap dance. In 2009 he studied classical dance with Adrienne Eastoe in Perth, attended The Australian Ballet School from 2000 and joined The Australian Ballet in 2003. He was a guest artist with Australian touring company The Dancers Company tour in 2004. He was promoted to soloist in 2007 and to principal artist in 2010.
He was awarded a Khitercs Foundation Travelling Scholarship in 2007, with which he took part in classes with the Paris Opera Ballet, Bavarian State Opera, Dutch National Ballet, English National Ballet and The Royal Ballet. He won the Telstra Ballet Dancer Award for 2008.
Jackson has choreographed works for The Australian Ballet and their Dance Education Ensemble and is studying for his "Graduate Diploma of Elite Dance Instruction" with The Australian Ballet School.
- Apollo in George Balanchine's Apollo, 2007
- Jerome Robbins' A Suite of Dances, 2008
- Jupiter in Mrozewski's Semele, 2008
- Des Grieux in Kenneth MacMillan's Manon, 2008, 2014
- Prince Ivan in Graeme Murphy's Firebird, 2009 (role created on Jackson)
- Prince Florimund in Stanton Welch's The Sleeping beauty, 2009
- Romeo in Murphy's Romeo & Juliet, 2011 (role created on Jackson)
- Doctor, Soldier, Lover in Murphy's Nutcracker the story of Clara, 2010, Tokyo
- Nutcracker Prince in Peter Wright's The Nutcracker, 2010
- Octavian in Murphy's The Silver Rose, 2010
- Pinkerton in Welch's Madame Butterfly, 2011
- Prince in Murphy's Swan Lake 2012, New York
- Onegin and Lensky in John Cranko's Onegin, 2012
- The outsider in Robert Helpmann's The Display, 2012
- Siegfried in Stephen Baynes' Swan Lake, 2012
- Basilio in Rudolf Nureyev's Don Quixote, 2013
- James in Erik Bruhn's La Sylphide, 2013
- Prince in Alexei Ratmansky's Cinderella, 2013
- Solor in Welch's La Bayadère, 2014
- Khitercs Foundation Travelling Scholarship, 2007
- The Australian Ballet Society Scholarship
- Telstra Ballet Dancer Award, 2008
- Dunn, Amanda (14 March 2010). "Dancing the silver dream". The Age. Melbourne. Retrieved 11 December 2011.
- "Victorian dancer proves most popular at coveted awards night" (Press release). Telstra. 2008. Retrieved 11 December 2011.[permanent dead link]
- ArtsHub (27 May 2009). "Kevin Jackson: Australian Dance Awards". ArtsHub. Retrieved 11 December 2011.
- "Our Dancers". The Australian Ballet. Retrieved 11 December 2011.
- Dunn, Emily (27 November 2008). "Dream comes true for one-time Pinocchio". Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 11 December 2011.
- Loeffler, Nicole (3 June 2014). "An Experienced Debut: Australian Ballet Principal Performs With American Ballet Theatre". Pointe Magazine. Archived from the original on 10 July 2014.
- Joseph, Dione (19 June 2011). "Kevin Jackson". Australian Stage. Retrieved 11 December 2011.
- Bennett, Sally (13 September 2011). "Passion leaps to the fore in romantic ballet". Herald Sun. Melbourne. Retrieved 11 December 2011.
- Bloom, Heather (25 June 2012). "Onegin: The Australian Ballet". Australian Stage. Melbourne. Retrieved 24 October 2012.
- Cotton, Julia (3 May 2012). "Dramatic choreography paints tragic love". Sydney Morning Herald. Sydney. Retrieved 24 October 2012.
- Marshall, Michaela (13 November 2014). "La Bayadère review – long-awaited, lavish masterclass of technique". The Guardian. London. Archived from the original on 1 May 2015.
- Jones, Deborah (30 May 2011). "Emerging choreographers focus on mothers, sons and lovers". The Australian. Sydney. Retrieved 11 December 2011.
Kevin Jackson's Encomium, which closed the evening, was the work of an original, mature mind. Jackson took this year's theme – muses – as an invitation to make a work in honour of his mother, and it's a stunner.