Jepsen with the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
Minnesota Twins – No. 49
July 26, 1984 |
|September 8, 2008 for the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim|
(through July 28, 2015)
|Earned run average||3.80|
|Competitor for United States|
Kevin Martin Jepsen (born July 26, 1984) is an American professional baseball right-handed pitcher for the Minnesota Twins of Major League Baseball (MLB). He previously played in MLB for the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim and Tampa Bay Rays. He is 6 feet 3 inches (1.91 m), 235 pounds (107 kg) and was selected by the Angels in the 2nd round (53rd overall) in the 2002 Major League Baseball Draft out of Bishop Manogue (Reno, Nevada) High School.
Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
Jepsen made his major league debut against the New York Yankees on September 8, 2008, at Angel Stadium in Anaheim, California. He pitched one inning in a blowout game, retiring Derek Jeter, Bobby Abreu, and Alex Rodriguez in order. Jepsen pitched in 9 games for the Angels in the 2008 season.
Jepsen earned his first All-Star selection in the minor leagues, and was enjoying his finest season to date with a combiled 3–4 record, 13 saves, a 1.87 earned run average and 55 strikeouts for the Arkansas Travelers and Salt Lake Bees when he was selected to play for the United States national baseball team at the 2008 Summer Olympics. He and his team won a bronze medal.
Jepsen had his first full major-league season in 2009. His first year was overshadowed by the death of his teammate and friend Nick Adenhart. Jepsen was responsible for hanging up Adenhart's jersey in the dugout every game. In spite of this, Jepsen threw a career-high 54 innings. He had shoulder tendinitis in September, slowing his return to Spring Training in 2010.
Tampa Bay Rays
Jepsen features four pitches: a four-seam fastball at 95–99 mph, a two-seam fastball at 94–97, a cutter at 89–93, and a curveball at 83–86. The cutter is rarely used against left-handed hitters, while the two-seamer is primarily thrown to lefties. Jepsen uses his curveball most often in 2-strike counts.
- "Minor League Baseball". Retrieved August 30, 2008.
- Spencer, Lyle (September 28, 2009). "Adenhart's memory inspires Angels". MLB.com. Retrieved October 25, 2009.
- DiGiovanna, Mike (February 22, 2010). "Angel's Matt Palmer still has a positive attitude. . .aa". Los Angeles Times.
- "Angels acquire Matt Joyce from Rays for Kevin Jepsen - HardballTalk". nbcsports.com. Retrieved July 31, 2015.
- "Twins trade for Rays reliever Kevin Jepsen - HardballTalk". nbcsports.com. Retrieved July 31, 2015.
- "Brooks Baseball · Home of the PitchFX Tool - Player Card: Kevin Jepsen". Brooks Baseball. Retrieved July 24, 2012.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)