|Notable works||Crazy Rich Asians, China Rich Girlfriend, Rich People Problems|
Kevin Kwan is a Singaporean–American novelist best known for his satirical novels Crazy Rich Asians, China Rich Girlfriend and Rich People Problems. In 2014, Kwan was named as one of the "Five Writers to Watch" on The Hollywood Reporter's list of Hollywood's Most Powerful Authors. In 2018, Kwan made Time magazine's list of 100 most influential people and was inducted into The Asian Hall of Fame, a project of the Robert Chinn Foundation established in 2004.
Kevin Kwan was born in Singapore, into an established Chinese family. His great-grandfather was a founding director of Singapore's oldest bank, the Overseas-Chinese Banking Corporation and his grandfather was an ophthalmologist who became Singapore's first Western-trained specialist. Kwan is also related to Hong Kong-born American actress Nancy Kwan. While in Singapore, Kwan studied at the Anglo-Chinese School. Kwan's father and mother, an engineer and pianist respectively, moved the family to the United States when Kwan was 11.
He attended the University of Houston-Clear Lake, where he earned a BA in Media Studies, after which he moved to Manhattan to attend Parsons School of Design in order to pursue a BFA in Photography. In New York, Kwan worked for Andy Warhol's Interview Magazine, Martha Stewart Living, and Tibor Kalman's design firm M&Co. In 2000, Kwan established his own creative studio, clients of which included Ted.com, Museum of Modern Art, and The New York Times.
Crazy Rich Asians
Kwan published Crazy Rich Asians in 2013. The book was inspired by his childhood in Singapore; the first chapter more specifically was inspired by a poem he had written years before entitled "Singapore Bible Study." The novel was described as "a sprawling, multi-generational mock epic that centers on a clan of Singaporeans whose various factions gather from their respective lairs around the globe for a wedding that is the year’s most talked-about event among the international Chinese aristocracy," and upon publication received positive reviews. The book became both a national and international bestseller and has been translated into 12 languages.
China Rich Girlfriend
Rich People Problems
In 2016, EW confirmed that Kwan will be adding a third and final installment to the Crazy Rich trilogy, titled Rich People Problems. The novel was released in May 2017.
- THR Staff. "Hollywood's Most Powerful Authors: 5 Writers to Watch". Retrieved 10 April 2016.
- Time. "Time Magazine's 100 Most Influential People of 2018". Retrieved 30 March 2018.
- Robert Chinn Foundation. "The Asian Hall of Fame". Retrieved 21 February 2018.
- Symons, Emma-Kate. "Richer Than God - crazy lives of the Asian super rich". Retrieved 9 April 2016.
- Ghee, Alison. "'Crazy Rich Asians' author Kevin Kwan on privilege, excess and believability".
- Jann, Janice. "Author Kevin Kwan on 'Crazy Rich Asians' Film and Luxuries Money Can't Buy". Retrieved 9 April 2016.
- Leese, Samantha. "Behind 'Crazy Rich Asians': 15 Minutes with Kevin Kwan". Retrieved 9 April 2016.
- Lindgren, John. "Bestselling Author of Crazy Rich Asians and China Rich Girlfriend". Retrieved 9 April 2016.
- Magazines, SPH. "Inside job, From The Outside – China Rich Girlfriend's Author speaks". thepeakmagazine.com.sg. Retrieved 2016-04-09.
- "Notable Alumni | University of Houston-Clear Lake". www.uhcl.edu. Retrieved 2018-04-10.
- Rougeau, Rose. "Interview: Kevin Kwan on World of 'Insane Fortunes' in New Novel 'China Rich Girlfriend'". Retrieved 2 November 2015.
- Fulwood, Jaclyn. "Friday, January 4, 2013: Maximum Shelf: Crazy Rich Asians". www.shelf-awareness.com. Retrieved 9 April 2016.
- Lindgren, John. "Kevin Kwan in Bangkok". Pattaya Today Newspaper. Retrieved 9 April 2016.
- Christensen, Lauren. "Crazy Rich Asians Author Kevin Kwan on the Lavish Culture of Asia's Upper Crust: "The Reality Is Simply Unbelievable"". Retrieved 10 April 2016.
- Chung, Paul. "Interview: 'Crazy Rich Asians' Teach Author Kevin Kwan His Love of Fiction". Retrieved 15 April 2015.
- Ab, Suhana. "The Curious Case of Kevin Kwan". Retrieved 10 April 2016.
- Ghee, Alison. "'Crazy Rich Asians' author Kevin Kwan on privilege, excess and believability". Retrieved 10 April 2016.
- Siegel, Tatiana. "'Crazy Rich Asians': Color Force Nabs Film Rights to Best-Seller". Retrieved 10 April 2016.
- "Goodreads - Editions of China Rich Girlfriend by Kevin Kwan". Retrieved 21 July 2015.
- Biedenharn, Isabella. "Kevin Kwan teases final book in Crazy Rich Asians trilogy". Retrieved 11 April 2016.