Kevin L. Bryant
|92nd Lieutenant Governor of South Carolina|
January 25, 2017
|Preceded by||Henry McMaster|
|Member of the South Carolina Senate
from the 3rd district
January 15, 2005 – January 23, 2017
|Succeeded by||Richard Cash|
February 19, 1967 |
Anderson, South Carolina,
|Spouse(s)||Ann Barinowski (1989-present)|
|Education||University of Georgia (BS)|
Kevin L. Bryant (born February 19, 1967) is an American politician, pharmacist, and small business owner. A member of the Republican Party, Bryant became the 92nd Lieutenant Governor of South Carolina on January 25, 2017 after serving in the South Carolina Senate from 2005 to 2017.
Early life and education
Bryant is the son of Clifford W. and Gloria J. Bryant. Bryant has managed, with his brothers and father, Bryant Pharmacy & Supply, an independent pharmacy located in Anderson. He and his wife, Ann have three children. Bryant earned a bachelor's degree from the University of Georgia. He is the president of Bryant Pharmacy and Supply.
South Carolina Senate
Bryant was elected to the South Carolina Senate in 2004 to represent 3rd District based in Anderson County, South Carolina. He was re-elected in 2008, 2012 and 2016. Bryant is the chairman of the Invitations Committee. He also sits on the Agriculture and Natural Resources, Finance, General and Labor, Commerce and Industry committees.
Bryant attracted controversy after posting an image on his official campaign website of Osama bin Laden and presidential candidate Barack Obama, with the caption saying "the difference between Obama and Osama is just a little B.S."
Bryant has also been an outspoken critic of government spending. In 2012, after Governor Nikki Haley vetoed funding for a rape crisis center, Bryant was one of only two senators who voted to sustain the veto.
Bryant is a founding member of the William Wallace Caucus, a group of conservative senators who favor a laissez-faire approach to government policy and were outspoken supporters of former Governor Mark Sanford. Bryant describes the group as a fictitious.
Bryant supports a Constitutional Amendment defining marriage as a union between a man and a woman.
Bryant does not believe in man-made global warming.
Bryant has pre-filed a bill that would allow school teachers to be armed. He has named it after Jacob Hall, a child who was killed in a school shooting on Bryant's district of Townville, South Carolina.
2012 Presidential endorsement
Nikki Haley resigned as Governor of South Carolina on January 24, 2017 to become United States Ambassador to the United Nations. Henry McMaster, the lieutenant governor, automatically became governor at such time. Since Hugh Leatherman, the Senate president pro tempore, refused to become lieutenant governor per the South Carolina Constitution, Bryant was appointed to fill the pro tempore position on January 24, and ascended to the role of lieutenant governor.
- "WIS speaks with therapists opposed to death penalty for repeat child molesters - wistv.com - Columbia, South Carolina". Retrieved January 24, 2017.
- S.C. senator links bin Laden, Obama on blog USA Today, July 21, 2008
- Vacation and Funny Picture Kevin Bryant for Congress, July 18, 2008
- "palmettopublicrecord.org". Retrieved January 24, 2017.
- FITS. "Back Row Boys No Longer - FITSNews". Retrieved January 24, 2017.
- Bryant, Sen Kevin L. (June 8, 2006). "new address: www.kevinbryant.com: William Wallace "Caucus"". Retrieved January 24, 2017.
- "issues". Retrieved January 24, 2017.
- Shen, Aviva (April 2, 2014). "Creationist Lawmakers Derail Third Grader’s Campaign To Honor The Woolly Mammoth". Retrieved January 24, 2017.
- "SC Sen. Kevin Bryant discusses state's refugee registry bill". Retrieved January 24, 2017.
- "This South Carolina bill could hold charities liable for crimes committed by refugees". Retrieved January 24, 2017.
- "Bills pre-filed to allow guns in school, increase gas taxes". Retrieved January 24, 2017.
- "SC - Election Results". Retrieved January 24, 2017.
- South Carolina Legislature - Senator Kevin L. Bryant official SC Senate website
- Project Vote Smart - Senator Kevin L. Bryant (SC) profile
- Follow the Money - Kevin L. Bryant
|Lieutenant Governor of South Carolina