Kevin Neville Laland
5 October 1962
|Education||University College London (Ph.D., 1990)|
|Awards||Royal Society Wolfson Research Merit Award|
|Institutions||University of St Andrews|
|Thesis||Social transmission in Norway rats and its implications for evolutionary theory (1990)|
Kevin Neville Laland (born 5 October 1962) is an English evolutionary biologist who is Professor of Behavioural and Evolutionary Biology at the University of St Andrews in Scotland. Educated at the University of Southampton and University College London, he was a Human Frontier Science Program fellow at the University of California, Berkeley before joining the University of St Andrews in 2002. He is one of the co-founders of niche construction theory and a prominent advocate of the extended evolutionary synthesis (EES). He is a fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh and the Society of Biology. He has also received a European Research Council Advanced Grant, a Royal Society Wolfson Research Merit Award, and a John Templeton Foundation grant.
- Darwin's Unfinished Symphony: How Culture Made the Human Mind, Princeton University Press, 2017 ISBN 9780691151182
- Social Learning: An Introduction to Mechanisms, Methods, and Models, Princeton University Press, 2013, William Hoppitt and Kevin N. Laland ISBN 9780691150703
- Sense and nonsense: Evolutionary perspectives on human behaviour, Oxford University Press, 2011, Kevin N. Laland and Gillian R. Brown, 2nd edition ISBN 9780199586967
- Niche Construction: The Neglected Process in Evolution, Princeton University Press, 2003, John Odling-Smee, Kevin N. Laland, Marcus W. Feldman ISBN 9780691044378
- Sense and nonsense: Evolutionary perspectives on human behaviour, Oxford University Press, 2002, Kevin N. Laland and Gillian R. Brown, 1st edition ISBN 9780198508847
- "Laland, Kevin N." Library of Congress Name Authority File. Retrieved 2018-10-10.
- Odling-Smee, J.; Laland, K. N.; Feldman, M. W. (February 2000). "Niche construction, biological evolution, and cultural change". Behavioral and Brain Sciences. 23 (1): 131–146, discussion 146–175. doi:10.1017/s0140525x00002417. ISSN 0140-525X. PMID 11303338.
- Laland, K. N.; Odling-Smee, J.; Feldman, M. W. (2003). Niche Construction: The Neglected Process in Evolution. Princeton University Press. p. 488. ISBN 9780691044378.
- Zimmer, Carl (2016-11-22). "Scientists Seek to Update Evolution". Quanta Magazine. Retrieved 2018-10-10.
- "ERC Funded Projects". European Research Council. Retrieved 2020-06-24.
- "Royal Society Wolfson Fellowship". University of St. Andrews. Retrieved 2020-06-24.
- "Putting the Extended Evolutionary Synthesis to the Test". John Templeton Foundation. Retrieved 2020-06-24.
- Faculty page
- Lab page
- Kevin Laland publications indexed by Google Scholar
- Niche construction resource website
- Extended evolutionary synthesis project website