||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (March 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Birth name||Kevin Michael Seward|
October 22, 1985 |
Chester, Pennsylvania, United States
Kevin Michael (born Kevin Michael Seward, October 22, 1985 in Chester, Pennsylvania) is an American pop artist that was signed to Downtown Records in 2007, the same year he released his self-titled debut album.
Born in Chester, Kevin grew up in a mixed-race family. His father is African-American and his mother is also bi-racial. This had quite an effect on him as a child growing up and would serve as one of his main messages in later musical work. He is a self-taught vocalist with a five octave range. Kevin cites artists like Prince, Michael Jackson and Stevie Wonder as some of his biggest musical influences. At the age of 16 he wrote his first song, and has continued writing his own material throughout the years. Kevin says he loves writing music just as much as singing it.
His first EP Ya Dig? was featured only on iTunes and the buzz single "We All Want The Same Thing" was highlighted on iTunes Store as the Single of the Week for May 8, 2007. "We All Want The Same Thing" featured rapper Lupe Fiasco and was featured in a Verizon Wireless V Cast Song ID commercial.
Kevin Michael's first official single from his full-length LP was "It Don't Make Any Difference", both produced by and featuring Wyclef Jean. In the song Kevin talks about interracial relationships and the product of being a bi-racial adult himself. A video for the song was shot in Brooklyn, NY in May 2007 directed by video collective Syndrome (James Larese). The video and song was received well by both MTV and VH1 Soul.
Michael's performance was favorably reviewed on day two of the August 2007 Lollapalooza concert in Chicago, describing Kevin as a "young singer with the towering afro and a voice that mixes the soulful side of Michael Jackson with a hip-hop edge." He has also performed at MTV's 2007 Video Music Awards at The Palms Casino Pool in Las Vegas.
2010 to present
On June 10, 2010, Michael resurfaced under the alias KofTHEY (K being the initial for his name, and THEY being a group acronym standing for THE Youth) and released THEY’s first single, "Areola" on their YouTube channel, KofTHEY.
On March 14, 2011, Michael opened Twitter and Facebook accounts as KofTHEY.
On March 16, 2011, he released the follow-up album International for a limited release in Japan.
On April 5, 2011, he launched the TeamTHEY website and released two new songs under KofTHEY.
On July 1, 2011, Michael released Covers For You, a nine song cover album. The album also includes one track from his International album.
In popular culture
|We All Want The Same Thing|
|We All Want The Same Thing|
|We All Want The Same Thing||
Lincoln Heights (TV series) Season 2: Episode 4
Entourage (U.S. TV series) Season 3: Episode 16
|Stone Cold Killa|
|It Don't Make Any Difference||
EA Sports: NBA Live 08
|At Last (Etta James Cover)|
|Year||Album details||Peak chart positions||Sales|
|2011||Covers For You||—||—||—||—||—|
|2013||b r a i n w a $ h||—||—||—||—||—|
|Single||Year||Peak chart positions||Album|
|"We All Want The Same Thing"
(featuring Lupe Fiasco)
|"It Don't Make Any Difference To Me (1 Love)" (featuring Wyclef Jean)||—||—||—||17||—||19||—|
|"Ain't Got You"||2008||—||—||64||—||43||—||74|
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart or were not released.|
|"We All Want The Same Thing"||2008||Lupe Fiasco||Step Up 2: The Streets|
|"At Last"||2009||N/A||(500) Days of Summer|
|"Weekend Jumpoff"||2010||N/A||Just Wright|
- "Kevin Michael". MTV Artists. Retrieved 3 May 2013.
- Modern Guitars article Archived October 16, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- Harris, Chris; Gil Kaufman (5 August 2007). "Interpol, Muse, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Snow Patrol Bring Out The Fans For Lollapalooza's Crowded Day Two". MTV. Retrieved 3 May 2013.
- "2007 VMA: Kevin Michael Live From The Palms Casino Pool". MTV. Retrieved 3 May 2013.
- KofTHEY Twitter[dead link]
- TeamTHEY Official Site Archived July 23, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Kevin Michael Album & Song Chart History". Billboard.com. 2007-10-20. Retrieved 2012-07-31.
- "Kevin Michael - Kevin Michael - Music Charts". Acharts.us. Retrieved 2012-07-31.
- Steffen Hung. "Kevin Michael - Ain't Got You". hitparade.ch. Retrieved 2012-07-31.
- Steffen Hung. "Kevin Michael feat. Wyclef Jean - It Don't Make Any Difference To Me (1 Love)". swedishcharts.com. Retrieved 2012-07-31.
- "Kevin Michael - Ain't Got You - Music Charts". Acharts.us. Retrieved 2012-07-31.