Mulvey warming up for the Arizona Diamondbacks
May 26, 1985 |
Sayreville, New Jersey
|July 20, 2009, for the Minnesota Twins|
|Last MLB appearance|
|May 2, 2010, for the Arizona Diamondbacks|
(through 2010 season)
|Earned run average||7.90|
Kevin John Mulvey (born May 26, 1985 in Sayreville, New Jersey) is the current head coach for Villanova University's baseball program. He is also a former American professional baseball pitcher. He has previously played in the New York Mets, Minnesota Twins and Arizona Diamondbacks organizations.
New York Mets
Mulvey was selected by the New York Mets in the second round (62nd overall) of the 2006 amateur draft out of Villanova University. While at Villanova, he tossed a no-hitter against Connecticut on March 26, 2005.
In 2007, he went 11-10 with a 3.32 ERA for the Binghamton Mets and was selected to the All-Star Futures Game. In August 2007, he was promoted to the New Orleans Zephyrs of the Pacific Coast League. In two starts Kevin Mulvey got two wins without an earned run.
Mulvey was one of the players included in the Johan Santana trade between the Mets and Twins on January 29, 2008. The other three players the Mets sent to the Twins were pitchers Philip Humber, Deolis Guerra and outfielder Carlos Gómez. At the time of the trade, Baseball America ranked Guerra, Gomez, Mulvey and Humber the second, third, fourth and seventh best prospects in the Mets organization, respectively.
On September 1, 2009, Mulvey was claimed off waivers to the Arizona Diamondbacks. The Arizona Diamondbacks sent cash considerations to the Twins. This claim was made shortly after a trade that sent pitcher Jon Rauch to the Twins for a player to be named later, which later became cash considerations. According to MLB.com "essentially that (the player to be named later) is Mulvey." He was designated for assignment on August 16, 2011.
The Diamondbacks released Mulvey on February 29, 2012.
New York Mets (second stint)
On May 26, Mulvey retired. Mulvey was 0-1 with a 5.59 ERA in 13 games with Binghamton.
- "Villanova University Biography".
- "MiLB.com Webpage".
- "Twins acquire Carlos Gomez, Philip Humber, Kevin Mulvey and Deolis Guerra from the New York Mets" (Press release). Major League Baseball Advanced Media. February 2, 2008. Retrieved April 23, 2012.
- Hartman, Sid (January 12, 2008). "Sid Hartman: Give Monson credit for recruiting guards". Star Tribune. Retrieved April 23, 2012.
Baseball America recently ranked the New York Mets' top 10 prospects. Here is where the Mets prospects most frequently mentioned to be part of a trade with the Twins for Johan Santana rank: outfielder Fernando Martinez is first, righthander Deolis Guerra second, outfielder Carlos Gomez third, righthander Kevin Mulvey fourth and righthander Philip Humber seventh.
- D-backs claim righty Mulvey from Twins, MLB.com
- Dierkes, Tim. "D'Backs Designate Kevin Mulvey For Assignment". MLBTradeRumors.com. Retrieved 16 August 2011.
- McCullough, Andy. "Mets re-sign former second-round pick Kevin Mulvey". NJ.com. Retrieved 10 March 2012.
- "Kevin Mulvey retires". NBC Sports. May 27, 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kevin Mulvey.|