Kevin P. Ryan
|Kevin P. Ryan|
|Alma mater||Yale University|
|Known for||Founding Gilt Groupe, Business Insider, and MongoDB|
Kevin P. Ryan is an American Internet entrepreneur in the United States who has founded several New York-based businesses, including Gilt Groupe, Business Insider, Zola Registry and MongoDB, and helped build DoubleClick from 1996 to 2005, first as president and later as CEO. He fostered DoubleClick's growth from a 20-person startup to a global leader with over 1,500 employees. Ryan built DoubleClick into a multi-billion dollar global industry leader. Under his direction, DoubleClick was awarded the title of "New York Company of the Year" by Silicon Alley Reporter.
DoubleClick was sold in 2005 for $1.1 billion to Hellman and Friedman LLC, and Ryan stepped down as CEO shortly thereafter. DoubleClick was acquired by Google for $3.1 billion in March 2008. After leaving DoubleClick, Ryan, along with former DoubleClick CTO and co-founder, Dwight Merriman, founded AlleyCorp, a network of three affiliated Internet companies of which he is Chairman and CEO.
Ryan was named one of the "50 Most Influential Business People" by Crain's New York Business, and was included in Vanity Fair's 2011 New Establishment List.
Currently, Kevin serves on the board of Human Rights Watch, Yale University, the NYC Investment Fund and INSEAD, and is a member of the Yale International Council and the Council on Foreign Relations. He holds a B.A. from Yale University and an M.B.A. from INSEAD.
Current companies in the AlleyCorp network include:
- The Business Insider: an online business news and analysis site that provides news, commentary and discussion on the technology, media and communications industries.
- Gilt Groupe: an online community that offers members exclusive access to coveted fashion and luxury lifestyle sample sales, events and brands.
- MongoDB: develops and supports the open source, non-relational database MongoDB.
Gilt Groupe is an online retailer based in the United States. Founded by Ryan in 2007, Gilt Groupe, www.gilt.com, is an online shopping site offering its members merchandise and food. Gilt offers fashion for women, men, and children; home décor; artisanal ingredients; hotels and travel experiences on every continent.
To date, Gilt Groupe has secured over $240 million in total financing since establishing operations in November 2007. Its investors include Matrix Partners, General Atlantic Partners, Softbank Group, New Enterprise Associates, DFJ Growth and Goldman Sachs. In February 2014, Gilt Groupe is preparing for an IPO.
The Ladders.com/Hot Jobs
While working at United Media, Ryan launched the Dilbert Web site, based on the popular comic strip created by Scott Adams. Serving as Senior VP of Business and Finance, he helped lead a restructuring effort that increased United Media's profits fivefold. Ryan spent time with Euro Disney in France, and as an investment banker with Prudential Investment Corporation in the US and the UK.
Ryan serves on the board of directors for Human Rights Watch, The NYC Investment Fund and INSEAD and most recently, the Partnership for New York City. He was one of the project chairs for NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg's review of the future of NYC's fashion industry, Fashion.NYC.2020.
He is also a member of the Yale International Council and the Council on Foreign Relations. He has served in the past on the boards of the Direct Marketing Association, the Ad Council, Hotjobs and on the Advisory Board for Doctors Without Borders. On May 30, 2012, Yale announced that Ryan has been elected to serve a six-year term as a member of the Yale corporation, the University's governing body.
In June 2009, Ryan was named Entrepreneur of the Year by Ernst & Young, LLP and In 2013 was named one of “The 100 Most Influential New Yorkers of the Past 25 Years” by the Observer.
- "Gilt Groupe Valued at Roughly $1 Billion"
- Strugatz, Rachel (13 February 2014). "Gilt IPO Puts Eyes on Flash Model". WWD. Retrieved 13 February 2014.
- "TheLadders.com Secures Funding"
- Venture Voice: VV Show #45 - Kevin Ryan of Panther Express, ShopWiki and Music Nation
- "DoubleClick Names Kevin Ryan New CEO"
- Leaders Mag, "An Entrepreneurial Culture: An Interview With Kevin P. Ryan, Founder and CEO of Gilt Groupe"
- Strauss, Steven; Kristy Sundjaja; Eric Johnson; Meghana Gandhi; Victor Wong; Jennifer Yoo, (2012). Fashion.NYC.2020. NYCEDC.
- Notes On The Road "Internet Entrepreneur Kevin Ryan on Balancing Success & Family Life"
- Profile by scribemedia
- Kevin Ryan on SourceWatch
- Ryan profile, "America's Most Productive CEOs", inc.com, March 1, 2010.
- "New York Isn’t Silicon Valley. That’s Why They Like It.", New York Times Dealbook, March 7, 2010.
- Evans, Teri, "The Ultimate Start-Up Challenge? Hyper Growth", Wall Street Journal, March 11, 2010. Look at Gilt amongst other companies.
- "AlleyCorp Churns Out Grab Bag of Tech Companies", New York Times, September 1, 2012.