|Born||22 May 1992|
|Origin||Perth, Western Australia|
Kevin Penkin (born 22 May 1992) is a British-Australian composer, primarily for video games and anime. He is best known for composing the score of the anime Made in Abyss, which won the Best Score at the 2nd Crunchyroll Anime Awards.
Penkin was born on 22 May 1992 in United Kingdom, and grew up in Perth, Western Australia. Penkin's interest in video game music came from listening to the "Phendrana Drifts" theme from Metroid Prime; in a 2012 interview, he referred to the theme's electronic synths and acoustic instruments as "absolute bliss".
Penkin began his career with composition credits in the 2011 short films Play Lunch and The Adventures of Chipman and Biscuit Boy. In the same year, Penkin composed the soundtrack of the video game Jūzaengi: Engetsu Sangokuden; this soundtrack represented Penkin's first collaboration with Nobuo Uematsu. Penkin has continued to collaborate with Uematsu in titles such as Norn9 and Defender's Quest II: Mists of Ruin.
In 2013, Penkin received a Bachelor of Music in Composition and Music Technology at Edith Cowan University's Western Australian Academy of Performing Arts. In 2015, Penkin graduated from the Royal College of Music with a Master of Composition degree in Composition for Screen. His studies were supported by a grant from the Tait Memorial Trust as the inaugural Tait Scholar at the Royal College of Music.
In 2016, Penkin collaborated with Kinema Citrus on the Norn9 anime and the Under the Dog original video animation soundtracks. Penkin's relationship with Kinema Citrus continued through to 2017 for the soundtrack of Made in Abyss, winning the 2017 Crunchyroll Anime Award for Best Score with it. In 2018, Penkin composed the score for the video game Florence. Penkin composed the music for Kinema Citrus' anime adaptation of The Rising of the Shield Hero and NetEase's VR game Nostos in 2019. He composed the score for the 2020 anime adaptation of the South Korean webtoon Tower of God. Penkin was working with artist Takashi Murakami on the sequel to the movie Jellyfish Eyes, but the project was cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic. In 2021, Penkin composed the score for "The Village Bride" short film in the Disney+ anime anthology series Star Wars: Visions.
|2011||Jūzaengi: Engetsu Sangokuden||with Nobuo Uematsu|||
|2012||Defender's Quest: Valley of the Forgotten|||
|2013||Norn9||with Nobuo Uematsu|||
|Deemo||composed "I Race the Dawn"|||
|Leviathan: The Last Defense|||
|2015||Implosion: Never Lose Hope||composed cutscenes music|||
|2018||Florence||nominated at the 15th British Academy Game Awards for music|||
|This Is the Police 2||with Ben Matthews|||
|Rebel Cops||with Ben Matthews|||
|2021||Grow: Song of the Evertree|||
|Sin Chronicle||with various others|||
|Arknights||composed "Heal the World"|||
|TBA||Defender's Quest II: Mists of Ruin|||
|Renaine||with various others|||
|2016||Under the Dog|||
|2017||Made in Abyss||won Crunchyroll Anime Award for Best Score 2017|||
|2019||The Rising of the Shield Hero|||
|2020||Made in Abyss: Dawn of the Deep Soul|||
|Tower of God||won Crunchyroll Anime Award for Best Score 2020|||
|Star Wars: Visions||Episode: "The Village Bride"|||
|2022||The Rising of the Shield Hero 2|||
|Made in Abyss: The Golden City of the Scorching Sun|||
|2013||Blossom Crossroads||Perth Symphony Orchestra|
|Looking for Serenity||Perth Chamber Orchestra|
|Altered Illustrations||Perth Chamber Orchestra
Joshua Webster, cimbalom
|2014||Atmosphere||RCM Student Film Orchestra
Anaïs Laugenie, cello
|Changing Feet||Tait Memorial Trust Chamber Orchestra
Nicola Crowe, flute
|2015||First Blood||"And So Forth" Opera Company
Rebecca Hardwick, soprano
|Houn Maru||Commissioned by Rio Tinto, Perth Symphony Orchestra|
- Trumbore, Dave (26 February 2018). "Crunchyroll Anime Awards Winners Revealed: Who Took Home the Big Prize?". Collider. Retrieved 10 March 2018.
- Penkin, Kevin (21 May 2018). "Apparently in some places in the world I'm already 26. That's a laugh". Twitter. Retrieved 22 May 2018.
- Penkin, Kevin. "Kevin Penkin Long Interview". Made in Abyss (Interview) (in Japanese). Interviewed by Shimpei Yamashita; Hiromitsu Iijima. Kadokawa Corporation. (republished by Sentai Filmworks)
- Greening, Chris (27 February 2014). "Kevin Penkin Interview: Writing Soundtracks with Nobuo". VGMO -Video Game Music Online-. Retrieved 10 March 2018.
- Doucet, Lars (2 April 2014). "Nobuo Uematsu to work on Defender's Quest 2". Fortress of Doors. Doucet, Lars. Retrieved 10 March 2018.
- "Biography". Kevin Penkin. Retrieved 10 March 2018.
- "Kevin Penkin, Inaugural Tait Scholar at the Royal College of Music – Tait Memorial Trust". 7 November 2013.
- May, Callum (4 October 2017). "Interview: Made in Abyss Composer Kevin Penkin". Anime News Network. Retrieved 10 March 2018.
- Remington, Kate. "Kevin Penkin's Intimate, Conversational Soundtrack For 'Florence'". www.wshu.org. Retrieved 2020-02-29.
- Penkin, Kevin (2018-08-22). "So, speaking of more to come... honoured to announce I composed the music for my first VR title, @nostosgame Nostos is an VRMMO Sandbox game and the main theme features the incredible singer of Nier Automata, Emi Evans!". @kevinpenkin. Retrieved 2020-02-29.
- "Crunchyroll Reveals Tower of God Anime's Video, Cast, Staff". Anime News Network. Retrieved 2020-02-29.
- @kevinpenkin (11 July 2020). "ANNOUNCEMENT: I've been working with artist Takashi Murakami on the music for his movie "Jellyfish Eyes 2". Due to Covid-19 the project has been abandoned. Regardless, we worked extremely hard on the music and I hope one day I can share it. It was an honour to work with Murakami" (Tweet). Retrieved 14 July 2020 – via Twitter.
- Penkin, Kevin [@kevinpenkin] (July 3, 2021). "I'm composing for a Star Wars anime. Specifically, an episode of the new Disney+ series "Star Wars Visions", which is a collection of original animated shorts based in the Star Wars universe. Beyond honoured. Please enjoy "The Village Bride" by Kinema Citrus, this September" (Tweet). Archived from the original on July 3, 2021. Retrieved July 3, 2021 – via Twitter.
- Penkin, Kevin (2019-06-09). "Less than 2 weeks until I call Melbourne my home. Pretty keen." Twitter. Retrieved 2020-07-23.
- "Credits". kpenkmusic.com. Retrieved October 26, 2021.
- Mejias, Nicole (November 27, 2018). "Composer Kevin Penkin on Symphonic Metal and Flamenco Music Influences in The Rising of the Shield Hero, and More!". Crunchyroll. Retrieved April 17, 2020.
- "Route 59 Games press kit". necrobarista.com. Archived from the original on 2020-07-22. Retrieved 2020-07-23.
- Romano, Sal (August 27, 2021). "Grow: Song of the Evertree launches November 16". Gematsu. Retrieved October 26, 2021.
- Romano, Sal (October 1, 2021). "Sega announces 'choose your own ending RPG' Sin Chronicle for iOS, Android". Gematsu. Retrieved October 3, 2021.
- @kevinpenkin (December 21, 2021). "I wrote music for Arknights!!! Beyond honoured to work with the irreplaceable @SarahAlainn on the song "Heal the World". Feel free to check below" (Tweet). Retrieved January 10, 2022 – via Twitter.
- "Defender's Quest II - Core Team". defendersquest.com. Retrieved 2021-01-31.
- Romano, Sal (September 18, 2018). "High-paced platformer Renaine coming to Switch, PC". Gematsu. Retrieved October 26, 2021.
- Gramuglia, Anthony (April 14, 2019). "Netflix Announces Eden Anime From Fullmetal Alchemist Director". Comic Book Resources. Archived from the original on October 26, 2021. Retrieved October 26, 2021.
- "The Rising of the Shield Hero Anime's 2nd Season Premieres in 2021". Anime News Network. September 4, 2020. Archived from the original on October 26, 2021. Retrieved October 26, 2021.
- "Made in Abyss Season 2's English-Subtitled Video Unveils Cast, Staff". Anime News Network. November 21, 2021. Archived from the original on November 21, 2021. Retrieved November 21, 2021.