Kevin Spencer (musician)
|Born||December 22, 1973|
|Origin||Hamilton, Ontario, Canada|
|Associated acts||The Misunderstood, Mezzanine, Daniel Lanois, Mudgirl, Rymes with Orange, RENT|
Kevin Spencer (born December 22, 1973) is a Canadian musician.
He began his career in music as a member of the Hamilton, Ontario pop band The Misunderstood, one of the 1996 CFNY New Music Search Finalists. In 1997, after The Misunderstood broke up, Spencer moved to Vancouver, British Columbia as a hired musician for Rymes with Orange penning the Canadian hit Standing in the Rain and became a founding member of the band Mudgirl, who had a Canadian radio hit that year with This Day, which garnered them a spot on Lilith Fair and consequently in Rolling Stone.
Between the years 1999 and 2001, he continued performing, recording and touring with Mudgirl, The Kim Band, Rymes with Orange, Mezzanine, and others contributing guitar, bass, drums, programming and voice. In September 2001, Spencer was recruited by Bernard Telsey Casting in New York City to play the role of Roger Davis in the National Tour of the rock opera Rent. Completing over 550 shows, his contract ended in late 2004. Between the years 2005 and 2009, he toured and worked exclusively for musician/producer Daniel Lanois (U2, Peter Gabriel, Bob Dylan).
He currently resides in Atlanta where he serves as the Music Director and Lead Recording Producer for the 'Executional Excellence' company, Banding People Together. He also tours and records with country artist Kristian Bush from Sugarland.
- Mowat, Bruce (Dec 16, 1993). "Sympathy for the Misunderstood". The Spectator.
- Powell, Betsy (Jan 28, 1997). "The dirt on Mudgirl: Montreal native behind band's fast-track rise to A-list status". The Spectator. p. B10.
- "Rent actor didn't look far to find struggling artist character". Duluth News-Tribune. February 28, 2003.
- Oland, Dana (December 2, 2002). "Rent reinvents bohemia". The Idaho Statesman.
- Ali, Lorraine (Sep 4, 1997). "Back-Stage: Lilith Fair". Rolling Stone (768).