Kevin Stewart (Scottish politician)
|Minister for Local Government and Housing|
18 May 2016
|First Minister||Nicola Sturgeon|
|Preceded by||Marco Biagi (politician) (Minister for Local Government and Community Empowerment) , Margaret Burgess (Minister for Housing and Welfare)|
|Member of the Scottish Parliament
for Aberdeen Central
6 May 2011
|Preceded by||Lewis Macdonald|
|Born||3 June 1968
|Political party||Scottish National Party|
|Alma mater||University of Aberdeen|
Kevin Morrice Stewart is a Scottish National Party (SNP) politician who is the Minister for Local Government and Housing. He has been the Member of the Scottish Parliament (MSP) for the Aberdeen Central constituency since the 2011 election.
Stewart served as a local councillor for thirteen years and served as Depute Leader of Aberdeen City Council. As a councillor, he chaired the Finance and Resources Committee and the North East of Scotland's Regional Transport Partnership, NESTRANS. He also served as the chair of the 3Rs Board.
In the 2011 election he was elected to represent Aberdeen Central.
Stewart was the convener of the Scottish Parliament's Local Government and Regeneration Committee, where he oversaw scrutiny of the Community Empowerment (Scotland) Act 2015. Stewart was also a member of the Welfare Reform Committee and also sat on the Justice Sub-committee on Policing. He was also involved in the Cross-Party Groups on Oil & Gas, Scots language, Nuclear Disarmament, Malawi and Tibet. He also acted as Parliamentary Liaison Officer to Nicola Sturgeon from November 2014 until the dissolution of parliament in March 2016.
Stewart has lodged a number of motions in parliament in support of Votes at 16.
Stewart made a speech in favour of same sex marriage on 20 November 2013 at the Scottish Parliament Stage 1 Debate on the Marriage and Civil Partnership (Scotland) Bill, in which he spoke about his experience of coming out as gay.
- "New city primary welcomes pupils". BBC News. 20 August 2009.
- "Previous MSPs: Session 4 (5 May 2011 - 23 March 2016): Stewart, Kevin". Scottish Parliament. Retrieved 13 March 2017.
- "Marriage and Civil Partnership (Scotland) Bill". www.scottish.parliament.uk. Retrieved 2016-02-27.
- Report, Official. "Official Report". Retrieved 2016-02-27.
- "Scottish parliament welcomes LGBTI marriage date". KaleidoScot. Retrieved 2016-02-27.
- "Scotland Election 2016: Aberdeen Central. Scottish Parliament Constituency". BBC News. 6 May 2016.
- "Who is in the 2016 Scottish cabinet?". BBC News. 18 May 2016. Retrieved 13 March 2017.
|Member of the Scottish Parliament for Aberdeen Central
|This article about a member of the Scottish Parliament is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|