Kevin Sullivan (runner)
Kevin Sullivan (born March 20, 1974) is the men's head cross country and distance coach at University of Michigan and former middle distance runner from Canada. He was born in Brantford, Ontario.
Sullivan studied civil engineering at the University of Michigan where he had 14 All-American honours and won 4 NCAA titles (one relay and 3 individual). Sulivan's father, Richard, is a machinist. He has two brothers, Darren and Colin. He played hockey and soccer while growing up in Brantford. He was married to former Canadian steeplechase record holder Karen Harvey in 1998. They divorced in November 2014.
Sullivan competed in 1000 metre, 1500 metre, and mile events and represented Canada. His personal best times are 3:31.71 for the 1500 (set in June 2000) and 3:50.36 for the mile. He is the former Canadian record-holder for the indoor 3000 m, 7:40.17 (set February 9, 2007). His best Olympic showing is a fifth-place finish at Sydney. In 2005, he left his longtime Michigan coach, Ron Warhurst, to train under the coaching of Julie Henner. In the 2008 Summer Olympics, Sullivan reached the semi-finals of the 1500 metre but failed to qualify for the final. Sullivan was also a torchbearer for the 2010 Winter Olympics, carrying the torch into Brantford.
Sullivan has been named one of the greatest Canadian distance runners of all time, concerning his placings in international competition, having competed at 3 Olympic Games, 22 World Championships (outdoors, indoors, and cross country), and still holding 4 Canadian track and field records including 3 outdoor and 1 indoor.
|800 metres||1:47.06||Baton Rouge, LA, United States||1 January 1995|
|1000 metres||2:17.59||Athens, Greece||28 June 2000|
|1500 metres||3:31.71||Rome, Italy||30 June 2000|
|Mile||3:50.26||Oslo, Norway||28 July 2000|
|2000 metres||5:04.35||Gateshead, England||19 July 1998|
|3000 metres||7:41.61||Stockholm, Sweden||22 July 2008|
|5000 metres||13:19.27||Walnut, CA, United States||13 April 2007|
Sullivan is the men's distance & cross country head coach at University of Michigan. In his first year, Coach Sullivan lead the Michigan Wolverines to the NCAA Division 1 Cross Country Championships. Kevin took this position in 2014, after years of successful coaching at Florida State University where he assisted his wife coaching the women's distance team. Kevin also coached at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- "Official Men's Track Roster - Michigan Men's Track". MGoBlue.com. Retrieved 2016-08-20.
- "Kevin Sullivan". Sports Reference, LLC. Archived from the original on 18 April 2020. Retrieved 2 June 2011.
- Adam Oestreich. "Kevin Sullivan". FloTrack.org. Archived from the original on 2015-09-24. Retrieved 2016-08-20.
- "Profiles - Kevin Sullivan". Athletics Canada. Archived from the original on 28 September 2011. Retrieved 2 June 2011.
- "Kevin Sullivan | Profile". Iaaf.org. Retrieved 2016-08-20.
- "Former Wolverine Sullivan Named Next Michigan Head Coach - Michigan Men's Cross Country". MGoBlue.com. Retrieved 2016-08-20.
- Shryack, Lincoln (2014-11-22). "Kevin Sullivan's first year at Michigan a success". FloTrack.org. Archived from the original on 2015-07-09. Retrieved 2016-08-20.