March 1, 1962 |
|Other names||Tsai Kang-yong|
|Alma mater||UCLA School of Theater, Film and Television
Kevin Tsai (Chinese: 蔡康永; pinyin: Cài Kāngyǒng) is a writer and television host in Taiwan. He is most well known for his role in hosting the television program Kangxi Lai Le which airs on Chung T'ien Television with fellow hostess Dee Hsu.
Tsai was born to a wealthy family. His father was a well known lawyer and his family was briefly in the shipping business. Mr. Tsai went to private schools for his pre – bachelor education, and he entered Tunghai University to study Foreign Language in 1984.
In 1990, Kevin Tsai graduated from UCLA School of Theater, Film and Television with a Master Degree in TV Production and moved back to Taiwan. He began working as the director of Voice of Taipei Radio Station, and later on the Chief Editor of GQ – Taiwan. In 2004, Kevin was joined by his fellow hostess Xidi Hsu in hosting the TV program - KangXi Lai Le and his popularity skyrocketed from his style and banter. Mr. Tsai has also been frequenting the Golden Horse Film Festival and Awards. Partnered with Patty Hou and Lin Chi-ling, Kevin Tsai has been presenting the award show since 2001. Kevin is a skilled writer. He has written seven different books and many of them became Taiwan’s bestsellers as well as writing comedy material in his popular talk show.
Mr. Tsai is openly gay. During a program hosted by Li Ao in 2002, Kevin Tsai openly acknowledged his sexual orientation while pointing out that there was still much work to be done in Taiwan’s LGBT social movements.   He is currently recovering at home due to a bout of Bell's Palsy.
||This section of a biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (December 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Tsai has written seven books, including:
- Chinese: 流浪记
- Chinese: 痛快日记, published 1996
- Chinese: 再错也要谈恋爱, published 1996
- Those brilliant things the guys gave to me (Chinese: 那些男孩教我的事), published 2004
Awards & nominations
Golden Bell Awards
|2003||Zhen Qing Zhi Shu||Best Host in a Culture & Education Programme||Nominated|
|Two Generation Company||Best Host in a Variety Programme||Nominated|
|Kangxi lai le||Won|
- http://ent.ifeng.com/idolnews/hk/200807/0701_1835_626790.shtml Dead Link Redirect - http://news.dnkb.com.cn/archive/info/20081005/150735259.html Title: "Kevin Tsai and his boyfriend of 14 years plan to retire in 2 years time." News wired By Phoenix Television 07/01/08
- http://gsrat.net/news/newsclipDetail.php?ncdata_id=3963 Title: "The First LGBT TV show in Mainland China, Kevin Tsai as Guest Host" News wired By Gender/Sexuality Rights Association Taiwan
- http://www.castro.com.tw/news/t040322.htm Title: "Madam Wenying Wants to come out of closet?! Kevin Tsai voices up about unfairness in LGBT." News wired by TVBS - Taiwan 03/22/04
- http://mail.nhu.edu.tw/~society/e-j/22/22-09.htm Title: "Double Standard: Media throws mud over LGBT." Article by 郭明旭 Forwarded by Nanhua University - Taiwan