Milton Township, Antrim County, Michigan
|Milton Township, Michigan|
|• Total||43.7 sq mi (113.1 km2)|
|• Land||25.6 sq mi (66.2 km2)|
|• Water||18.1 sq mi (46.9 km2)|
|Elevation||633 ft (193 m)|
|• Density||86/sq mi (33.3/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1626747|
Creswell is an unincorporated community that was formed in 1852. It had a post office from 1869 until 1904. Elgin was the name of a post office in this township from 1875 until 1881. Kewadin is an unincorporated community at . The Kewadin post office with ZIP code 49648 also serves large portions of Milton Township and Torch Lake Township. The Kewadin post office opened June 4, 1883.
According to the United States Census Bureau, this northern Michigan township has a total area of 43.7 square miles (113.1 km2), of which 25.6 square miles (66.2 km2) is land and 18.1 square miles (46.9 km2), or 41.46%, is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,072 people, 850 households, and 651 families residing in the township. The population density was 80.2 people per square mile (31.0/km²). There were 1,577 housing units at an average density of 61.0 per square mile (23.6/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 96.33% White, 0.05% African American, 2.27% Native American, 0.19% Asian, 0.68% from other races, and 0.48% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.59% of the population.
There were 850 households out of which 27.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 68.0% were married couples living together, 6.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 23.3% were non-families. 20.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.42 and the average family size was 2.77.
In the township the population was spread out with 21.9% under the age of 18, 4.5% from 18 to 24, 22.7% from 25 to 44, 30.4% from 45 to 64, and 20.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 46 years. For every 100 females there were 102.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 97.1 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $44,890, and the median income for a family was $50,568. Males had a median income of $37,578 versus $23,942 for females. The per capita income for the township was $26,817. About 3.2% of families and 5.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 4.9% of those under age 18 and 1.5% of those age 65 or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Milton Township, Antrim County, Michigan
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Milton township, Antrim County, Michigan". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved June 11, 2013.
- Romig 1986, p. 139.
- Romig 1986, p. 178.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Kewadin, Michigan
- 49648 5-Digit ZCTA, 496 3-Digit ZCTA - Reference Map - American FactFinder, U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 census
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Kewadin Post Office
- Romig, Walter (October 1, 1986) . Michigan Place Names: The History of the Founding and the Naming of More Than Five Thousand Past and Present Michigan Communities. Great Lakes Books Series (Paperback) (Detroit, Michigan: Wayne State University Press). ISBN 0-8143-1838-X. ISBN 978-0814318386.