Key at the SMTown Coex Artium in January 2015
September 23, 1991
Daegu, South Korea
|Residence||Seoul, South Korea|
|Other names||Almighty Key|
|Revised Romanization||Gim Gi-beom|
Kim Ki-bum (born September 23, 1991), better known by his stage name Key, is a South Korean singer and actor. Debuted as a member of the group Shinee in May 2008, and began his acting career in 2011 in the Mnet's series Moon Night '90, playing Lee Hyun Do. In 2014 along with Nam Woo-hyun formed the duo Toheart.
Key was born in September 23, 1991 in Daegu, South Korea. He was a varsity water-skier in Dae Gu Yeong Shin Middle School. In 2006, he joined the SM Entertainment after a successful audition on SM National Tour Audition Casting. In 2007, he appeared as a background dancer in the film Super Junior, Attack on the Pin-Up Boys.
In 2008, he was chosen as a member of the group Shinee. The group released their first mini-album, Replay on May 22 debuting at #10 and reached the #8 position on the charts. The first television presentation of the group occurred in May 25, 2008 in the program SBS's Inkigayo.
In 2014 Key formed a duo with Woohyun from Infinite. It is a collaboration between S. M. Entertainment and Woollim Entertainment. According to the members it was their idea to form a duo since they are close friends but they weren't thinking of a musical collaboration, instead thinking of photoshoots and similar.
Key was featured in label-mate Xiah's solo performance of "Xiahtic" in TVXQ's concert, 2009: The 3rd Asia Tour Mirotic, in Seoul. In 2010 He was featured in the song "치유 (Healing)" on TRAX's mini album "Trax Mini Album Volume 1".
Later, it was also announced that Key would have a part in Girls' Generation's song "Hwaseongin Virus (Boys & Girls)" (Korean: "화성인 바이러스 (Boys & Girls)") on their second studio album Oh!. Key featured in Girls' Generation's first live album The 1st Asia Tour: Into The New World Album in the song "Barbie Girl" with Girls' Generation's Jessica Jung. He also was featured in Im Yoona's solo performance in Girls' Generation 1st Asia Tour: Into the New World in Shanghai with the song "If You Find A Cool Guy, Please Introduce Me." Also sings many American songs, like 'Firework' by Katy Perry, 'Take a Bow' by Rihanna, 'Judas' and 'Hair' by Lady Gaga, 'TiK ToK' by Ke$ha, and 'My First Kiss' by 3OH!3 with f(x)'s Krystal and Shinee's own Taemin.
Key collaborated with Leeteuk of Super Junior on a song called "Bravo" for drama History of a Salaryman. He also had a rap part in EXO's song "Two Moons" on their debut mini album MAMA and BoA's song "One Dream" as the theme song for SBS 'Kpop Star with labelmate Henry of Super Junior-M.
It was announced by Newtype Ent. the AXODUS duo, formed by Don Spike and DJ Hanmin, would do a collaboration with Key. Key took over the vocals for the track "Hold On," and they made a special presentation on July 25, 2015 in Ansan Valley Rock Festival.
Key was cast as Frank Abagnale Jr., rotating with Um Ki-joon, Kim Jeong-hoon, Park Gwang-hyun and label-mates Super Junior's Kyuhyun with SNSD's Sunny and CSJH The Grace's Dana, in the Korean production of Broadway musical Catch Me If You Can, marking his theatrical debut. The musical ran from March 28 to June 10 at the Blue Square, Samsung Card Hall, in Hannam-dong, Seoul. On October 24, 2012 it was announced that Key would be participating in the return of the Korean adaption of the broadway musical Catch Me If You Can. The production started on December 14, 2012 and continued until February 9, 2013 at the Opera House in the Seongnam Arts Center.
On July 18, 2013, it was announced that Key would be cast as Clyde in the Korean production of the broadway musical "Bonnie & Clyde", alongside the cast Kim Min-jong, Um Ki-joon, Dana of CSJH The Grace, and Hyungsik of ZE:A. The performance will be open at the Chungmu Art Hall in Seoul on the 4th of September until the 27th of October.
Not long after, on October the 22nd 2013, it was announced that he would be cast in another Korean adaptation of the broadway musical "The Three Musketeers" as D'Artagnan. Joining Key on rotation for the role of D'Artagnan are Uhm Kijoon, 2PM's Jun.K, ZE:A's Park Hyungshik and Super Junior's Sungmin, as well as Park Jinwoo and FT Island's Song Seunghyun as special actors for the role. "The Three Musketeers" will be staged from December 13 this year to February 2 next year at Seongnam Arts Centre Opera House.
According to SM Entertainment on 15 July 2014, Key has been cast as the lead role for new musical "Zorro" and he will be sharing the main role with singer Wheesung and Beast's Yoseob. "Zorro" will begin its run from August 27 till October 26 at the Chungmu Art Hall in Seoul.
Key was announced to be part of the musical "In the Heights" along with EXO's Chen, INFINITE's Sunggyu and Dongwoo, f(x)'s Luna, Yang Dong Geun, Seo Kyung Soo, Jung Won Young, Kim Bo Kyung, Oh So Yeon, and J-Min. The musical will run from September 4 to November 22, 2015.
Key has appeared on television shows such as Idol Maknae Rebellion as a guest star alongside his Shinee group mates Taemin, Onew, and Jonghyun, in two episodes. Together with other idol group members: Dongho from U-KISS, Shorry J from Mighty Mouth, Jinwoon from 2AM, Yunhwa from T-Max, Seunghyun from F.T. Island and in the later part, Mir from MBLAQ. Key was part of the cast of the show Raising Idol; the show was also known as 'Keydol' by his fans. Key was also featured in KBS World's Hello Baby's season 2, started January 19, 2010, consistently as "favorite dad" every week, as determined by their toddler, Joon Yoo-geun.
In April, Key participated in the MBC show "We Got Married Global Edition". His virtual wife was Arisa Yagi, a Japanese model.
Is known for his multilingual talents since he spent six weeks on an exchange in America. Key was raised by his grandmother from birth. His mother was sick after giving birth and his father was busy with work. On October 10, 2014 Kibum announced on his Instagram account that his grandmother died on September 23, 2014. Furthermore, he stated that he wanted to announce it on his own because it didn't feel right for him to announce it through his company.
|2007||Attack on the Pin-Up Boys||Extra dancer||Cameo|
|2012||I AM.||Himself||Documentary of SM Town.|
|2015||SMTOWN The Stage|
|2011||Moon Night 90||Lee Hyun Do|
|2012||Salamander Guru and The Shadows||Flower Shop Customer||Cameo; Ep: 4|
|2014||We Got Married Global Edition||Himself||With Yagi Arisa|
|Star Gazing||Regular Cast|
|My Little Television||Guest|
|Key's Know How|
|Cast a Spell|
|(March 28, 2012 – June 10, 2012) &
(December 14, 2012 – February 9, 2013)
|Catch Me If You Can||Frank Abagnale, Jr.||Korean Ver.|
|September 5, 2013 - October 25, 2013||Bonnie and Clyde||Clyde Chestnut Barrow||Korean Ver.|
|December 3, 2013 - February 2, 2014||The Three Musketeers||D'Artagnan||Korean Ver.|
|August 27, 2014 - October 26, 2014||Zorro||Zorro||Korean Ver.|
|January 14, 2015 -||School Oz||David||Hologram Musical|
|June 19, 2015 - July 19, 2015||Chess||Anatoly Sergievsky||Korean Ver.|
|September 4, 2015 - November 4, 2015||In the Heights||Usnavi||Korean Ver.|
As lead artist
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Album|
(BoA feat. Henry Lau and Key)
(Axodus feat. Key)
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart or were not released in that region.
"*" Billboard Korea K-Pop Hot 100 was introduced in August 2011 and discontinued in July 2014.
Collaborations and soundtrack contributions
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Album|
Billboard World Digital
(TRAX feat. Key)
|2010||—||—||Trax Mini Album Volume 1|
|"Boys & Girls"
(Girls' Generation feat. Key)
(Jessica Jung feat. Key)
|—||—||1st Asia Tour "Into The New World"|
|2011||—||—||History of a Salaryman OST|
(EXO feat. Key)
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart or were not released in that region.|
- Mark Russell (29 April 2014). K-Pop Now!: The Korean Music Revolution. Tuttle Publishing. p. 67. ISBN 978-1-4629-1411-1.
- "Shinee's iple profile" (in Korean). Retrieved November 11, 2010.
- 샤이니 키, 中시절 수상스키 선수로 전국 대회 출전. Seoul Newspaper (in Korean). September 26, 2008. Retrieved January 19, 2009.
- "SHINee Open to New Opportunities". The Korea Times. Han, Sang-hee. November 10, 2008. Retrieved November 25, 2008.
- 투하트 :: 네이버 인물검색 (in Korean). naver. Retrieved 24 March 2014.
- Na Ji Yeon; Kim Hye Won. "[STARCAST] Everyone is curious about 'Toheart, right?'…Woo-hyunXKey, unit talk". star.naver. Retrieved 25 March 2014.
- 동방신기,中 난징서 2만팬 열광시켜..위조티켓도 등장. CC. Today (in Korean). April 5, 2009. Retrieved April 20, 2009.
- 트랙스, 첫 미니앨범 ‘가슴이 차가운 남자’ 22일 ‘뮤직뱅크’ 깜짝공개. CC. Toda (in Korean). January 1, 2010. Retrieved February 3, 2010.
- (Korean) 소녀시대 ‘Oh!(오)’, 네티즌 “빨리 무대 보고싶어” (Girls' Generation's "Oh!", Netizens "Really Want to See the Performance"). Today Korea. January 27, 2010. Retrieved February 3, 2010.
- "Exo - Mama". Naver. Retrieved July 18, 2013.
- Kim, Ji-yeon (March 17, 2012). "Boa Sings ′One Dream′ for 『K-Pop Star』". CJ E&M enewsWorld. Retrieved February 20, 2013.
- "SHINee's Key joins hands with Don Spike and DJ Hanmin for an EDM project". Allkpop. July 20, 2015. Retrieved August 23, 2015.
- Sunwoo, Carla "Three join ‘Catch Me if You Can’" Joongang Daily. February 2, 2012. Retrieved March 27, 2012
- "Cameo of Key" SBS News. June 2, 2012. Retrieved February 6, 2012 16:05
- "SHINee’s Key to star in the musical ‘Bonnie and Clyde’" Nate News. July 18, 2013.
- "SHINee’s Key, BEAST’s Yoseob, AOA’s Choa, and More Set to Star in Zorro: The Musical" Soompi. July 15, 2014.
- "Key to star as "Zorro" in a new musical" Naver News. July 15, 2014.
- "Chen, Sunggyu, Dongwoo, Key, Luna, & more cast in musical 'In The Heights'!". Allkpop. July 9, 2015. Retrieved August 23, 2015.
- KShowOnline.com, [EngSub] Hello Baby S2 FULL - Guest: Shinee ||. "[EngSub] Hello Baby S2 FULL - Guest: Shinee || KShowOnline.com". kshowonline.com. Retrieved 2015-10-07.
- Hong, Grace Danbi. "SHINee’s Key to Join We Got Married Global Edition". Retrieved 10 February 2014.
- "키 이정신 '엠카' 새 MC 전격발탁…특별무대 첫선". Retrieved 19 March 2015.
- "Key to star in his own reality TV show". Retrieved 22 June 2015.
- Key's tearful Confession Newsen. September 8, 2010. Retrieved September 8, 2010
- Key's tearful Confession Instagram. October 10, 2014. Retrieved December 29, 2014
- "Documentary Shows Top K-Pop Singers Behind the Scenes". Chosun Ilbo. 2 May 2012. Retrieved May 4, 2012.
- "'SMTOWN The Stage' concert documentary film to be released this summer". Allkpop. May 15, 2015. Retrieved June 24, 2015.
- "Gaon Chart" (in Korean). Gaon Chart.
- "Korea K-Pop Hot 100". Billboard.
- "World Digital Songs". Billboard.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Key (vocalist).|
- Key at the Internet Movie Database
- Key (singer) at AllMusic
- Key on Instagram
- SM Entertainment Official website
- Shinee Official website