Keyport High School
|Keyport High School|
|351 Broad Street
Keyport, NJ 07735
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Keyport Public Schools|
|Principal||Michael Waters Sr.|
|Asst. principal||Kevin Flynn|
|Enrollment||388 (as of 2014-15)|
|Student to teacher ratio||4.0:1|
|Athletics conference||Shore Conference|
|Team name||Red Raiders|
Keyport High School is a four-year public high school in Keyport, New Jersey, United States, serving students in ninth through twelfth grades, operated as the lone secondary school of the Keyport Public Schools. Students from Union Beach attend the high school as part of a sending/receiving relationship with the Union Beach School System. The existing three-story building was constructed in 1927.
As of the 2014-15 school year, the school had an enrollment of 388 students and 97.0 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 4.0:1. There were 168 students (43.3% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 50 (12.9% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
Awards, recognition and rankings
The school was the 216th-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 339 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2014 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", using a new ranking methodology. The school had been ranked 226th in the state of 328 schools in 2012, after being ranked 249th in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 265th in 2008 out of 316 schools. The school was ranked 207th in the magazine's September 2006 issue, which surveyed 316 schools across the state.
The Keyport High School Red Raiders compete in the Shore Conference, an athletic conference made up of private and public high schools centered at the Northern Jersey Shore. All schools in this conference are located in Monmouth Countyand Ocean County, with the league operating under the jurisdiction of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). With 280 students in grades 10-12, the school was classified by the NJSIAA for the 2014–15 school year as Central Jersey, Group I for most athletic competition purposes, which included schools with an enrollment of 12 to 467 students in that grade range.
Keyport High School's interscholastic sports include: football, basketball, cheerleading for football/basketball, field hockey, wrestling, baseball, softball, track and field, cross country, indoor track, soccer, and tennis. The school participates in joint boys' cross country, boys' and girls' tennis and boys' and girls' indoor track programs with Henry Hudson Regional High School as the lead agency, under an agreement that expires at the end of the 2016-17 school year; Keyport is the lead agency for joint programs with Henry Hudson in boys' and girls' volleyball, football, girls' soccer and wrestling, all expiring at the end of the 2017 school year.
The football program, led by Coach Michael "Chic" Ciccoteli is probably the school's most notable. For the 2002-03 the team was "On the Road," as the home field was under construction. The Keyport Red Raiders went on to play an undefeated season and win their state championship. The following season also proved successful. Every game was won except the championship, giving the team a 21–1 record for the 2002–03 and 2003–04 seasons. The football team has won the Central Jersey Group I state sectional championship in 1987, 1988, 1992, 1998, 1999 and 2002. The football team won the Central Jersey, Group I state sectional title in 1999 with a 21–0 shutout of South River High School. The team repeated in 2002 with a 37–6 win against South River High School.
The boys' basketball team won the Group II state championship in 1933, defeating Cranford High School in the tournament final; the girls' team won the Group I title in 1983 (vs. New Providence High School) and 1995 (vs. Bogota High School).
The field hockey team won the Central Jersey, Group I state sectional title in 1978 and 1979.
The wrestling team won the Central Jersey Group I state sectional title in 1983.
The baseball team won the Central Jersey Group II sectional title in 1961. The team won the Central Jersey Group I state sectional championship in 2001 with a 10-0 win over Highland Park High School.
Core members of the school's administration are:
- Michael Waters Sr., Principal
- Kevin Flynn, Assistant Principal
- Piotr Czech (born 1986), NFL placekicker.
- Moe Jaffe (1901–1972), songwriter and bandleader.
- Sayra Fischer Lebenthal (1898-1994; class of 1915), Wall Street banker credited for introducing the idea of selling small lots of municipal bonds to individual investors.
- School data for Keyport High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- Keyport High School, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed November 22, 2015.
- Keyport Public Schools 2015 Report Card Narrative, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed July 11, 2016. "Keyport is located in central Monmouth County and educates students pre-kindergarten through twelfth grade. We are a receiving district for students from Union Beach that attend Keyport High School."
- Cheslow, Jerry. "If You're Thinking of Living In/Union Beach, N.J.; Waterfront Borough Making a Comeback", The New York Times, May 5, 2002. Accessed December 1, 2007. "MOST Union Beach students go on to the 523-student Keyport High School in the neighboring borough of Keyport. A handful of students are accepted into Red Bank Regional High School, after passing admissions tests to its three specialized programs: visual and performing arts; information technology; and finance."
- Martin, Patti. "Keyport High School may be small in size, but huge in unity; Many students consider the educational institution a home-away-from-home", Asbury Park Press, March 30, 2011. Accessed November 15, 2011. "Constructed in 1927, the three-story building is home to 530 eighth through 12th graders. 'Red Raider' fever abounds not only at the school but spills over to the next door central School."
- Staff. "Top Schools Alphabetical List 2014", New Jersey Monthly, September 2, 2014. Accessed September 5, 2014.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed December 2, 2012.
- Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed March 22, 2011.
- "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- School Info, Shore Conference. Accessed March 9, 2008.
- League Memberships – 2015-2016, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed May 27, 2016.
- General Public School Classifications 2015-2016, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, as of July 8, 2014. Accessed October 12, 2014.
- NJSIAA 2016 - 2018 Co-Operative Sports Programs, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- Goldberg, Jeff. NJSIAA Football Playoff Champions, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed November 19, 2015.
- Central, Group I, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed June 27, 2007.
- 2002 Football - Central, Group I, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed June 27, 2007.
- Public Past State Champions, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed December 16, 2016.
- 2015 Field Hockey Tournament of Champions, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, as of December 15, 2015. Accessed December 22, 2016.
- History of the NJSIAA Team Championships, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed December 16, 2016.
- History of the NJSIAA Baseball Championships, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed December 22, 2016.
- 2001 NJSIAA Baseball - Central, Group I, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed June 27, 2007.
- 2004 Boys Basketball - Central, Group I, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed June 27, 2007.
- Student / Parent Handbook 2015-2016, Keyport High School. Accessed May 2, 2016.
- Principal's Office, Keyport High School. Accessed November 22, 2015.
- Wilno, Don. "Czeck gives Sacred Heart the boot;quarterbacks James outduels Jump", Asbury Park Press, October 6, 2007. Accessed June 2, 2011. "Senior Piotr Czech, a graduate of Keyport High School, successfully kicked field goals of 46, 31, and 47 yards in Wagner College's 18-15 win..."
- Moe Jaffe Biography. Accessed December 1, 2007.
- Jaeger, Lauren. "Five are inducted into Hall of Fame", The Independent, October 12, 1994. Accessed June 6, 2016. "The late Sayra Fischer Lebenthal (class of 1915), born in Keyport in 1898, was only one of two women to graduate with a law degree from Syracuse University in 1920."
- Keyport High School
- Keyport Public Schools
- Keyport Public Schools's 2015–16 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- School Data for the Keyport Public Schools, National Center for Education Statistics
- DigitalSports Keyport Homepage